PDA

View Full Version : anxious unwanted thoughts-what do you do ?

xtinkerbellx
12-04-08, 12:24
what do you do when have a thought that makes you feel anxious ? do you let it win and do you not let it win?

i know everyones thoughts are different but as an example. say you speak to someone about opening a bank account and their name brings a flashback of a person/time that was really horrible.

do you let anxiety and thought win and not open the bank account even tho you really want them?

do you , after youve spoken to them, ring back up and talk to someone with a different name (so you still doing what you want but with a name that doesnt make you anxious)

or do you force yourself to open the account because you really want it and try to cope with the panic/anxious feelings ?

just wondered what the best way is and how people deal with thoughts! :)

kate
12-04-08, 12:54
Hi Tinkerbell,

Well, the right way to go would be to leave the account as it is and deal with the anxiety/panic! Otherwise, you aren't facing the fear, you are running away from it which only reinforces the fear, and so it goes.

Mind you, what is the right way and what we actually decide to do are, of course, two different things. It's easy to advise someone on the right way to go about things but not an easy thing to put into place.

Kate

xtinkerbellx
12-04-08, 13:13
I sound completely crackers reading that back oh dear lol. I want to leave everything as it is but im worreid the panic will and never go away and the thoughts will pop up all the time!

chalky
12-04-08, 13:20
Hi Tinkerbell,

Try to think of your mind as a box-it only has a limited capacity.
If you are focused on filling your mind with positive thoughts and actions,there is less "room" available for Anxiety to arise.Practise this repeatedly and change will come.
Keep believing in yourself.
Best wishes,
Chalky