PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Diazepam

decca
12-04-08, 16:38
Hi all,
I've been taking 1x 2 mg Diazepam each morning for the past 7 weeks and it's helped me tremendously but I'm wondering whether I should stop taking them now before I get addicted etc.
1 - or is it unlikely on this dosage ?
2 - Has anyone else stopped taking a low dose such as 1x 2mg per day and what sort of reaction should I expect ?
3 - should I reduce the dose slowly over a month or so or just stop taking them abruptly?
Also bearing in mind, I have some Hospital appointments coming up which I'm very anxious about.

Cheers
Decca.

jo61
12-04-08, 19:36
It's a small dose but what does your doc say Decca? I'd defer to his/her judgement before just stopping

andrewc
12-04-08, 19:46
Hi

1x2 mg of diazepam is a very small dose, however its best not to stop abrubtly but reduce it to one for a few days and then 1 every other day and then stop. Of course you must consult your Dr about it.

regards

Andy

decca
12-04-08, 20:25
Thanks, I'm only taking one 2mg tab each morning, but yes you're right I should ask the Dr first, he usually prescribes 2 packs of 28 tabs each time so I guess he might want me to continue for a while.
I'm just worried I might get addicted or form a tolerance to them and feel the need to increase the dose.
Cheers
Decca.

Nel
12-04-08, 22:35
7 weeks is quite a long time to be taking diazepam daily. You really don’t want to be taking them at all other than on an emergency, as needed basis or as a short term course (maximum 2 weeks or thereabouts daily) for an acute episode of anxiety.

You’re on a relatively small dosage so you should be able to taper off them without any negative effects so don’t become preoccupied worrying about that, you’ll be fine. As others have said consult your doctor about a taper xxx

decca
12-04-08, 23:49
Thanks nel,
Yea I agree with what you say. Diaz is the only meds I've been taking for extreme tension I suffer,mostly due to a heart condition and the heart meds I was prescribed for it.
The actual script for Diaz. was one twice a day and two at night but I've only ever taken one in the morning just to get me over the part of the day when symptoms are worse as I was worried about addiction etc.
I think the Dr's expected me to be taking them long term,which I understand to be quite normal with cardiac problems.But after reading a fair bit about the adictiveness of Diaz. which is something that my Dr's disagree with by the way,they say you have to weigh up the pros and cons on individual cases depending on the need and dosage.
But as I'm taking lots of other meds for my heart condition I think I'd rather try to stop them and see how I go.
But I will go back and talk to them about it first.
Cheers
Decca.

Pauluk
14-04-08, 12:17
Hi,

If you've been on them longer than 4 weeks you need to cut them down gradually. Don't just stop them you'l have some very nasty side affects.

decca
14-04-08, 14:10
Thanks Paul,
I think I'll reduce the 2mg by Quarter Mg a day for 2 weeks then another quarter for 2 weeks etc.
How did you get on with your Housing Benefit claim ? The rules changed from 1/04/08 but if you already claimed before that date you would still come under the old rules.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928

Cheers
Decca.

decca
14-04-08, 18:24
I was wondering if it would hurt to just stay on the one 2mg per day as long as I don't increase it, rather than suffer withdrawal symptoms.
I'm aware that I would build up a tolerance but would I suffer any other effects.
Decca.

joy
14-04-08, 21:31
you should be asking the doc really but i should have thought 2mg for as long as you need it wouldnt be a prob, but you have only been on such a long dose you may not have any problems at all stopping. I sometimes think we worry too much about side effects and withdrawal when nothing may happen at all. Maybe the thoughts make it happen, thats not to say people dont suffer awful withdrawals,but its not all ways the case.

Love Joy

decca
14-04-08, 21:53
Hi Joy, how are you ?,
Yea it seems to me the problems occur when the drug is increased once a tolerance is formed until people reach a high level of dosage that's difficult to control.
I know people that's been prescribed Diaz. for bad backs that have been taking low doses for years.
Cheers.
Decca.

Tom_M
14-04-08, 21:54
2mg is such a small dose that I doubt it would have much effect on you if you stopped. However, it's always best to gradually reduce the dosage on any medication that effects the brain. Personally, I would keep taking them if they are benefiting you. I know some people who have been taking 30mg a day for over 20 years. Coming off that sort of dosage would definitely need some supervision.

decca
14-04-08, 22:20
Thanks Tom,
Yes they are at the moment but I realise there will come a time when they will not, I'm a bit concerned that when that time comes my symptoms could return worse than they were originally. Is that possible ?
Decca.

popsy
18-04-08, 12:15
I use 2mg of diazapan as and when i need them, i used them daily for about 4 weeks but now just occassionally, i havent noticed any side effects when i dont take them....what sort of side effects can you get anyone know?

decca
18-04-08, 12:21
Hi Popsy,
I've been told that unless you taper off very gradually your old symptoms could return and possibly worse than before you started the meds.
Cheers
Decca.

popsy
18-04-08, 12:27
Thanks Decca, thats really useful and could account for the return of the symtoms i keep getting at the moment. Why didnt my doctor tell me that!:doh:
Thank you so much x :hugs:

popsy
18-04-08, 12:32
Oh Decca, do these symtoms tail off again if you dont use them again?

decca
18-04-08, 12:57
I don't know , I've been told it's ok if you taper off them very gently and slowly after long time or high dose use.I guess it's ok if it's used again very ocassionally.
I think it's such a useful med. even on my low dose , I'm reluctant to stop taking it.
There's a fair bit on the forum here - http://www.thetrap.org.uk/
You have to register to view the forum though but there are lot's of very helpful people on there, some say they are prof. medical people.:shades:
A lot of the members are long time high dose users that have been taking lots of other drugs etc. so don't get put off by some of the stories.
Cheers
Decca