PDA

View Full Version : i cant swallow

jessiejane182
12-04-08, 21:45
i get different symptoms everyday and lately ive been having my worst
-
i cant swallow - not even my saliva and i cant breath too. i cant eat infront of people - so at work i get extremely weak making me more panicy

has anyone else had this and how can i stop or help it?

many thanks, jessie x

Bunty
13-04-08, 12:00
Hi Jessie

Sorry you're having a bad time.
When I can't breathe in I usually find that it's because my lungs are already full of air. I completely push all the air out of my lungs and then find that I can breathe in. (you can't breathe in if your lungs are already full of air - hope this makes sense). I do this a couple of times and it really helps.
When at work I always eat at my desk as I don't feel I can sit in the canteen and eat - mainly because of anxiety though. We are not meant to eat at our desks but my manager new why I was so she left me alone.
You need to see your doctor. He/she should be able to help with the anxiety. Also, look up on the internet forms of relaxation.
I also chew chewing gum when I have a problem swallowing as this seems to help me although make sure it's sugar free otherwise you'll upset your dentist!
You must find a way of getting something to eat during the day. Do you have meeting rooms that you could book for your lunch break or leave work and sit on a bench somewhere?
Your doctor can help you - go and have a chat.
Buntyxx

seeker
13-04-08, 14:34
I find soup a wonderful thing at times like this! And smottihes - anything soft and easy to swallow. If I really have trouble, I go for a brisk walk or run, and then my body takes over - I am so thirsty and hungry, I can't help but eat! I also like Weetabix with milk and bananas.

I have the same thing about eating in front of people - actually I think lots of people don't like eating in front of others, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. my husband is well used to me coughing and spluttering my way through dinner! At night I often find a small glass of wine helps me relax enough to eat. Have you tried any of these options?

Also, you can breathe, or you'd be dead. I know it feels like you can't breathe, but if you make that important distinction in your head, it might help.