PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm New & Seeking Advice

KittyLittle
13-04-08, 01:25
Hello to you all

I'm new on here and seeking advice for anxiety and depression. I have had a choking fear for several months now and often find swallowing difficult, I'm constant clearing my throat and constantly thinking about it is wearing me down and making me feel very depressed and low.

I am also badly suffering with DP/DR and thats making me feel very low too as I am normally a complete control freak and feeling like I am not in control rocks the very foundations of my personality.

I suffered with panic attacks badly for a few years when I was around 17 but had councelling and really managed them very well for several years.

I the had two bouts of depression about 5 years ago when I was in my early 20s (I am now 29) - the first one was the worst (I mean very very severe you know what I am getting at here I can't say it but needless to say I could not eb left alone) and I had to take Ciprimil and Valium and went on for quite a long time, the second one was not so long and I don't think I had to take anything for this time. I've had councelling and saw a pyscologist the first time, and also did some group anxiety sessions the second time.

I have been absolutely fine for so long (about 5 years) and I am so upset that this has all happened again. I feel like like I can't cope with having to go through all this again.

Bunty
13-04-08, 11:51
Hello Kittylittle

Welcome to the site, you'll find lots of support here.
You need to go and see your doctor straight away. We all have setbacks so don't feel bad.

You CAN cope because you've coped twice before.

Buntyxx

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 12:02
:hugs: hi kittylittle, i like you have suffered since adolesence, and i have had alot of help and contact with the mental health team over the years, and also like you i have had good times too:yesyes:

i echo what bunty says - because you have suffered you KNOW you can cope, i know it doesn tmake the way you feel any better but it can give you the hope you need to plod on - i also agree with going to the docs, but maybe insist you want a talking therapy - NOW. they can refer you immediately for assesment so insist on it!!!! the other thing is depression can be cyclical, which worried me coz i think when will it come again:weep:

but there is soooo much you can do these days to help yourself, and also you now have the support of nmp:yesyes: im looking into mindfulness now for all of this, because ppl have reported on here that it works and it now seems to be being mentioned in the media - so there is always hope of new ways to cope? take care, emma:flowers: btw i also swear by exercise, could this be soemthing you could think about?

Lilith1980
13-04-08, 12:16
Hi Kittylittle

Welcome to NMP :)

You have come to the right place and will get loads of support and advice here :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

Lindalou64
13-04-08, 14:27
Hello Kittylittle And Welcome...........linda

chalky
13-04-08, 14:29
Hi KittyLittle,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Pickle
13-04-08, 17:00
Hi KittyLittle, :welcome: to NMP

belle
13-04-08, 17:08
Hi there and welcome :)

x

SANDYJANE
13-04-08, 17:14
Hi, and a big warm welcome.

love sandyjanexxx

thevoicewithinme
13-04-08, 17:28
Hello and :welcome:

You will find lots of support and advice here.

Kaz

KittyLittle
13-04-08, 18:23
Thank you all for your welcomes and advice. My head just feels like it is swimming all the time. The things that are really the worst and driving me down are in order of the worst first (however the order sometimes moves around a bit from hour to hour!)

The DP/DR
The swallowing/chocking fear
My husband - he just doesn't get it, he doesn't believe in all this stuff (as he puts it) and says its 'its only in your head' as though I can just make it all stop at a flick of a switch and as though because its 'only' in my head its nothing serious or important.

He has tried to understand in the past and was very good before but I just don't think he can be done with it all again and he's a right miserable little git at the moment anyway - I kind of wonder if the way he has been has helped bring me down.

He was lovely to me this morning but he thinks making me breakfast, a cup of tea and giving me a few cuddles will make it all better. When I am well he is the best husband in the world and generally is a lovely person but when it comes to 'the head stuff' as he just doesn't get it he just doesn't help!

KittyLittle
13-04-08, 18:24
Oh by the way yes I have been thinking on exercise and I am going to look to start yoga again, I got really into it a few years back and found it very enjoyable, also some of my favourite times have been visits to Centre Parcs I love the cycling around, no cars and being with and seeing nature - tacky I know but lovely oh and the spa too - amazing!

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 19:19
:) hi, i would say that you have said yourself your husband is a good one? but not when you feel bad? same here! and for lots of members no doubt - one of the hardest things to do is feel bad and not hold it against our nearest and dearest for not understanding? the way i tackled it last year was to just stop focusing on what he said/did as everything was having an effect on me - he could reduce me to tears over something that now wouldnt bother me - its hard to remember when we are IN IT, that its us thats changed not them, so when we get better everthing is okay again? this is very hard to take but once you accept it things do get better - well it did for me :yesyes: this is not to say i accept BAD bahaviour, there is a limit whether you are anx or not, and i would say some people may be in relationships that are directly affecting your anx - but for me i had to listen to other people, and i had to really see the situation for what it was, just because my husband is not interseted in and has no clue about anxiety doesnt mean he doesnt care - his whole life revolves around the home so i dont think this is grounds for thinking he's rubbish? maybe try not to fall into the way of thinking that 'blames' him for your anx issues? take care, emma:flowers:

Nibbles
13-04-08, 20:46
Hi KittyLittle and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

KittyLittle
15-04-08, 00:25
Hello everyone

Thank you all so much for the welcomes. By the way Emmas what is mindfulness? Do you have any links I can see about it?

KittyLittle

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 09:16
:blush: hi kitty, well im sort of new to mindfulness in the real sense - which is something to do with buddism? but i think ive been doing a bit of it myself anyway through other things ive learnt. i cant do links sorry - i only just baout get by with the computer:blush: spose i should get mark to show me really?

anyway if you go to amazon and go in the mind body section there are loads of reviews for books and cds about it, i ordered 2 last week and it only cost £12 - p&p is more which is a bummer but never mind coz it will be worth it:yesyes:

lots of members have alreadt posted about this - maybe do a new post under therapies and loads shoukld reply poss with links too:winks:

nomorepanic
15-04-08, 16:17
Hi Kitty

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help and you meet some like-minded people and get loads of support and advice.

trac67
16-04-08, 18:09
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Joe1981
17-04-08, 06:03
Welcome to the site! :D