PDA

View Full Version : Derealization/Depersonalizatoin and Panic Disorder?

AnxiousAllTheTime
14-04-08, 03:00
Does anyone else suffer from derealization/depersonalization? I always feel like I'm not in my body and I'm watching my life through a window! Sometimes I feel "numb" Does anyone else experience this and how do you cope? I really want to try to stay away from meds since I'm trying to conceive! Any input would be appreciated :)

rach****
14-04-08, 03:33
Hi ya, I think that being as you're trying to stay away from the meds then try and look at your lifestyle first and foremost. Do you exercise? that is a way of increasing your seratonin levels in the brain that is the happy hormone. I know you may not feel lile it but even if it's a dvd workout it's still exercise. Try to aim for at least 3 times a week but ideally 20 mins a day. Do you smoke or drink a lot? Cut down on your caffeine. I drink decaf green tea or camomile tea very relaxing I find. Do you eat regularly and healthily. You need to keep your blood sugar levels regular. I have found these things all help. It's a good starting point. Also see your doc and tell them what you're doing and see if they can refer you for some counselling or C.B.T they may be able to help you.

popsy
14-04-08, 08:41
I know this probably isnt the answer your looking for but out of interest i conceived both my babies while on 30mg Paroxatine (anti-depressent). I have two perfectly healthy children both who were breast feed also, the doctors never said there would be any side-effects for them and there really wasnt! I hope you can start to feel better, CBT counselling really helped me, just spending an hour a week being talked to positively and having things explained to me helped enormously. Also, accepting the derealsiation at the moment and try and take the fear out of it can help alot, thats harder than it sounds i know, but you will feel better soon......do it for yourself and that beautiful baby in the future!!!! :hugs: Charlie x x x

Angel64
14-04-08, 08:53
Hi, I suffer with this quite often, can be just a quick blip say somewhere new - happened recently in river island changing rooms !! I felt like I didnt know where I was but lasted only a few seconds.
It can sometimes seem to be with me all day, the way I explain it is as if I haven't woken up properly and am in a sort of dream state.
It is scary but as any anxiety symptom if you just ignore it and carry on with what you are doing it does seem to fade, or become just part of your life, giving it recognition just makes it stay around for longer.

I also find it is there when I am overtired.

I dont take meds, I have done in the past.

If you don't use relaxation techniques maybe you could get some tapes or join a class, I found it hard at first to do but now its like second nature and I can use it quickly if in a situation where I am scared.

Hope this helps, good look with conceiveing as well !!

Christine xx :flowers:

PUGLETMUM
14-04-08, 11:03
:) hi, yes this symptom is a real pain isnt it? it just doesn tlet up does it? so you cant seem to get yourself to beleive it will go? - but it will, your brain is trying to protect you! so its actually a good thing - it is very very upsetting and uncomfortable but it will go - id also like to have another baby, but no luck just yet:lac: take care, emma

ladygrom
14-04-08, 11:18
hi i can realate to that symptom it was my worses symptom ever absolutely aful i felt unreal and in different surroundings .and like emmas as said its hard to believe it will go but it dos eventualy all the very best and believe me your not alone with that horrid feeling tc xx

IrishPrincess
14-04-08, 11:35
Hiya,
This was my worst and most scariest symptom by far,it is always the first symptom i get and sometimes was enough to get me to run home before i felt anything else,but the more i read up about it and understood exactly what is happening to my body when i experience this,the less it scares me.

Karen:hugs:

chard22
14-04-08, 15:27
hey there :)

i have depersonalization often when i panic. (usually the first sign of an onset to a PA for me)

what helps me when i feel that "impending doom" feeling in the pit of my stomach, i try to remember the ONE THOUSAND other times i have lived through it, and that this time is not any different. (i know its hard when its happening in the moment :( )

ive been suffering from this crap for almost two years now, and have never taken a med, and im starting to feel very good again! just remember that tid bit of advice i gave above, and the symptoms wont last as long, or be as intense.

wish you the best!

alswife
14-04-08, 17:59
I had that awful symptom for just over 2 years. I didnt take any medication and eventually it faded and went. I just kept myself busy and tried not to dwell on it (very hard i know).

Take Care
Joanna.

AnxiousAllTheTime
14-04-08, 21:12
Hi ya, I think that being as you're trying to stay away from the meds then try and look at your lifestyle first and foremost. Do you exercise? that is a way of increasing your seratonin levels in the brain that is the happy hormone. I know you may not feel lile it but even if it's a dvd workout it's still exercise. Try to aim for at least 3 times a week but ideally 20 mins a day. Do you smoke or drink a lot? Cut down on your caffeine. I drink decaf green tea or camomile tea very relaxing I find. Do you eat regularly and healthily. You need to keep your blood sugar levels regular. I have found these things all help. It's a good starting point. Also see your doc and tell them what you're doing and see if they can refer you for some counselling or C.B.T they may be able to help you.

Thanks Rach :)
Yes I do watch my caffeince in take :) I journal to relive stress as well. I eat healthy foods on a regular basis and I don't smoke and occasionally drink at a social get together. I see a clinical psychologist on a regular basis for CBT :) But I'm still finding that I'm anxious all the time!:unsure: As far as exercise goes I ride my bike up and down the lane I live on? does that count? lol Thanks again! Hugs

AnxiousAllTheTime
14-04-08, 21:16
:) hi, yes this symptom is a real pain isnt it? it just doesn tlet up does it? so you cant seem to get yourself to beleive it will go? - but it will, your brain is trying to protect you! so its actually a good thing - it is very very upsetting and uncomfortable but it will go - id also like to have another baby, but no luck just yet:lac: take care, emma

Thanks Emma :) Goodluck to you ttc another baby! I know how frustrating that is! TTC since October and in Jan 08' i had a miscarriage :( As far as the anxiety goes I'm dealing with it! Did you take any meds while you were pregnant the first time? I'm looking into what meds are safe! Thanks

AnxiousAllTheTime
14-04-08, 21:20
Thank you all for relplying and making me feel so welcomed! HUGS

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 09:36
:) hi AnxiousallThetime,im sat here trying to work out what ttc means?:blush: sorry this may be so obvious but my brain cant work it out:blush:

anyhow, when i got pregnant 11(ish) years ago i was taking prozac and propranolol and had been for 2 years. i went to my lovely doc who just said stop the meds! i never asked why, i felt fine so i did. i can see though tha ti worried alot through the pregnancy, but not in a way tha ti would now - that worry didnt lead me to be anxious in the way we are now - like your name 'all the time'!
the girl in the bed next to me was on antidepressants and i remembe rsitting there thinking 'i wonder why she kept taking them?'

anyway, i breatfed for 10months too and then stopped abruptly which triggered my anx/fed-up ness, which then led onto me trying meds again which sent me crazy:wacko: this made things even worse because i was so dissapointed that the tabs couldnt just work!!! but i think this is the way it goes - someone up there wants us to deal with it ourselves?

anyway pospsy has posted that she whas had 2 healthy babies while on meds and was on them in her pregnancy, so maybe ask her about it?
im 36 in august so maybe i won tget pregnant again, maybe im too stressed and maybe im not trying hard enough subconciously coz really our circumstances arent right anyway? but good luck to you:yesyes:

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 09:38
:yesyes: :blush: hi my husband has just worked it out! hes soooo clever:winks: 'trying to conceive'!

AnxiousAllTheTime
15-04-08, 13:04
:yesyes: :blush: hi my husband has just worked it out! hes soooo clever:winks: 'trying to conceive'!

lol yes ttc means trying to conceive! :) Thanks Emma for all your input :hugs:

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 16:27
:yesyes: :winks: :hugs: hi, just re-read the thread - why not post about meds and pregnancy and see what response you get - if you dont want to pm popsy about her experiences? put it in the medicine section maybe? there has been alot of talk lately about prgnancy and meds/no meds, but its gone quiet now:shrug: i dont know how you would go through the forum to look for stuff, pm nic (nomorepanic) and she will be able to tell you how to search - unless your clever enough and have already worked it out/done it:blush: :wacko: im not very clever and also a bit lazy:ohmy: :winks: