PDA

View Full Version : Re-starting the meds

EMMA
27-03-05, 16:16
Hi,

I recently came off my meds, not had any for over 2 wks now. Came off them gradually because I had been feeling better. But wondering now whether I came off them too soon as I have had this panic and anxiety again since coming back off holiday yesterday. Does anyone know if it is ok to re-start them again? Wondered if i should take them longer till i am fully better.

Emma xx

seh1980
27-03-05, 16:22
hello again Emma,

I just came off my meds about 3-4 weeks ago. I have noticed that I am a lot more panicky as well. How long were you on yours for? I was on mine for 13 months so I know that it was long enough. It could be that you are still getting used to not being on them. That's what I think is happening to me as well. I think that when we're on the meds, our brain relies on them to stop us from panicking and now that we're off them we have to learn how to deal with it ourselves. If I were you, I would wait a little while longer and then go speak to your GP if you're still not feeling better..

Sarah :D

FAN
27-03-05, 16:23
hi did the doctor recommend you came off them or did you just decide? if its the latter then maybe you should stick with them and speak to the doc first

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

EMMA
27-03-05, 16:35
I assumed that because I had felt better for a couple of months that I should come off them, but I did check with the GP first. I've had one today. But I will speak to my GP on Tuesday and see what she says. I'm just hoping that it's that stress of coming back from holiday that has made me this way. Maybe once I am back in the routine of work and stuff I will be fine again. If the doc says I should take them then I will. Would sooner be on them till I am fully better if thats the case.

I know what you mean Sarah about the brain relying on them, perhaps that's what it is. Did feel weird coming off them at first.

I'll see what happens anyway. Will hopefully be ok.

Emma xxx

EMMA
27-03-05, 16:36
Oh, I have been on them since June last year by the way

vernon
27-03-05, 16:50
hi emma do you mean anti depressants? becous taking a odd one will do nothing they take a while to get back into the systerm. Did u come off them realy slow some rudece very slowly over months. also maybe you should see the doc again before u take any antidepressant as maybe you will only need a much lower dose this time? t c Vernon

EMMA
27-03-05, 17:07
Hi Vernon, yes the antidepressants. Thought they would still be in the system so ok to start them again. Will see GP Tuesday I think. Hopefully will be ok by then.

Came off them over a space of a month, gradually reducing to half a day then half every other day.

Maybe just side effects from coming off them like Sarah says.

Emma xx

vernon
27-03-05, 17:30
that seemed pretty fast to come off to me, When i stopped meds i reduced by a quarter for a couple of months then half then 3/4s then a quarter every other day for a long time. but as u say could just be your body getting used to not having the chemicals in the blood and hopfully will go away in time without having to restart meds. good luck. vernon

nomorepanic
27-03-05, 17:48
Emma

This is a personal choice of course but I would stay off them now you have stopped.

It may be best to now look at ways of coping with the panic/anxiety without the meds and just because you had the panic on holiday (will reply to that post in a minute) then it does not mean you are back at square one.

We call that a blip on here - I will look out a post on it for you.

I expect the doc will just tell you to go back on them but at the end of the day you know best. Do you feel that you are tackling the underlying issues even though you were on the meds or were you relying on them to provide a cure?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Which one were you on may I ask?

Nicola

EMMA
27-03-05, 18:00
Hi Nicola,

I was on paroxetine. It was all brought on last year by stressful events. But even though I've felt better since then my nanna passed away at Xmas and college is stressing me out again this year. I have exams in June which I don't feel confident about because I've not put the effort in. Was hoping to get through it all without the meds because I felt better. And was hoping the holiday would relax me too.

Think I am just clutching at straws. I think i will probably be fine once I get back to the gym and work and everything. Strangely enough work doesn't stress me.

I've been burning my oils this afternoon and just trying to chill out. I'll see how I am in a couple of days and see my GP.

I really want to try and cope without the meds if possisble.

Emma xx

kairen
27-03-05, 18:30
hi emma,

i was on meds for just over a year, stopped taking them 4 weeks ago did feel a bit panicky then thought that maybe i was thinking that i would if i stopped taking them, like you i had a holiday just a weekend i was terrible when i came back but i just think it's the holiday blues, you know having a good time then coming home etc, i would try and stick it for a couple of weeks or talk to the doc, before going back on them, My grandad died last year that's why i went back on them cos i knew it was coming and i knew i was not going to be able to cope now i feel strong enough without them but have the anniversary next month so can already feel the tightness of my chest as the date gets nearer we were so close, but thats why i,m determined to keep strong not to give in for him, and of course myself, this site has helped me so much just reading other peoples letters and putting your own thoughts down is such a help, take care and good luck, whoops sorry its such an long one lol

kairen x

Longie
27-03-05, 20:17
HI EMMA

I CAME OF PAROXETINE LAT YEAR USING THE LIQUID AND DID IT SLOWLY OVER 6 MTS.

STILL HAD SYMPTONS THOGH AND RESEARCHED IT AND PAROXETINE IS KNOWN FOR A REBOUND ANXIETY WHICH SHOLD GO AFTER 3 WKS OR MOEE THAT WAY YOU KNOW IT IS JUST A REBOUND AND NOT YOUR ORIGINAL ILLNESS RETURNING

SORRY JUST SEEN THIS IS IN CAPS, BUT CANT RETYPE DUE TO TIME
JANE

EMMA
27-03-05, 20:28
Thanks all for your support. I think deep down I know it's the effects of coming off them and also that i had the upset of my nanna passing away. Made me so bad again. But overcame it cos I was still on the meds. Just scared of going back to that state now I'm off them. Had got my life sorted.

I'll see what happens. Will hopfeully be ok. Hopefully just a blip from the stress of going abroad.

Take care

Emma xx

vernon
28-03-05, 14:15
let us know how it goes at docs. hope u feel better soon