PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Canada

Geoff
15-04-08, 04:01
Hi. I'm Geoff. I am 55 now. First had panic attacks in my mid 20's; quit a stressful job and that took care of it at the time. Had a few more when going through a very rough patch with a failing business and bankruptcy about 10 years ago. But now I have a great, low stress, rewarding job, a stable and happy 20 year relationship and I'm freaking out!
When I'm working I'm fine. Then I get in the car and head someplace for lunch and by the time I get there I'm starting to lose it and half the time I can't eat. Half a Valium, borrowed from my dear wife, will usually get me back on an even keel, a whole one if I've left it too late, but then I need to lie down and deal with shaking and nausea for a while.
I should say that this started up again a couple of months ago, but so far I have only had 2 severe attacks of the kind just described. But it always seems to be lurking in the back of my consciousness, ready to pounce.
I have quit chocolate, since caffeine seems to aggravate, and have just quit drinking alcohol for the past few days. Normally I am a beer lover and get through 3 or 4 dozen a week, but I don't believe I am an alcoholic since I exhibit no withdrawal symptoms on those occasions when I don't indulge for a while.
Hoping I can learn something here that may help me get a handle on this. My normal first recourse would be my GP, but she has just abruptly retired due to health problems of her own. So I am at sea and searching for a lifeline.

chalky
15-04-08, 07:07
Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Taking a break from the booze and coming to the Forum sounds like a very positive way to start tackling your problems.
Best wishes,
Chalky

kellie
15-04-08, 08:07
hiya geoff :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :D . you will get lots of support/advice here and make some great friends along the way. may i say well done on decideing to leave the boose alone:yesyes: . when you are a sufferer of anx/panic the beer aint you friend and will only add to your condition. keep posting or pop into the chat room and talk to us all.
best wishes
take care:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lilith1980
15-04-08, 09:20
Hi Geoff

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

SANDYJANE
15-04-08, 09:32
hi and a big warm welcome

love sandyjanexxx

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 10:17
:) hi geoff:welcome: to nmp

Lindalou64
15-04-08, 13:30
Hello Geof And Welcome.......i Wish Ya Well.....best Thing Ya Can Do Is Stay Away From Choc,caffeine,alcohol.........sets Anxiety Off.........i Wish Ya Well.......linda

nomorepanic
15-04-08, 16:10
Hi Geoff

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help and you meet some like-minded people and get loads of support and advice.

trac67
16-04-08, 19:08
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Joe1981
17-04-08, 06:01
Welcome to the site! :D

Nibbles
17-04-08, 17:52
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

debera
17-04-08, 19:57
hi geoff and welcome. you will get lots of help and support here
debera:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

bottleblond
17-04-08, 20:03
Geoff.

WELCOME to you hun!! I really hope we can be of help to you.

Please try to find another GP asap, i know it's more difficult for you guys than for us, they are ten a penny here, thank god!!!

In the meantime please post and offload here as much as possible and we will do all we can to help.

Very best of luck to you.

Lisa
xxx