PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Driving anyone??

SIMON31
15-04-08, 13:37
Hi ya!

I suffer from panic attacks and my partner has been told he can't drive for a year as he has mild epilepsy. He was the person who has finally got me going places locally mind, but now he was told yesterday he can't drive I am going to have to start else we won't be able to go anywhere!!! I can see this being a big blow to my progress as he took me to my CBT appointments and I get panicky still when going due to the traffic!! I don't think I'm going to be able to go now I will have to drive!!!! I have been out in the car with my partner and have driven places, but I felt better knowing that if I felt panicky he could take over the driving and he has done a few times when it got too much for me. This now will not be able to happen and it totally freaks me out!! Has anyone got any advice on how they overcome their panic and anxiety while driving??? Any advice would be so much appreicated.

Thanks
Simon x

belle
15-04-08, 13:41
Do you not get comfort knowing that your partner is still next to you? Perhaps you can trick yourself into thinking that he might be able to take over if needed, false sense of security? Sounds bonkers doesn't it? But back when i was driving a bit, my husband can't even drive and i use to say to myself that IF it came down to it, he could drive.

I wish i could offer better advice.

x

Tony1980
16-04-08, 12:45
I get more comfort when driving knowing my girlfriend is next to me in the car cos it's like a safety feature you just can't buy! Haha! She's great and understands my panickyness on the motorways, but I've just tackled it head on recently and found that I'm not as bad as I thought I was going to be. The more I practiced the better I got. Try and distract yourself from the negative thoughts as soon as you get them and think of something else like a song in your head, or something interesting, or a conversation with your partner etc to take your mind off events on the road.
When you have a good experience at driving, hold on to that thought and just think to yourself "I can do this all the time like that" and think positively when you go out.
Try breathing exercises too like breathe in for 3 seconds, then out for 6 which balances you out bodywise, coupled with relaxing your shoulders down as well as being as relaxed as possible with the rest of your body.
Tony

jesse08
16-04-08, 14:54
Could you try a few refresher lessons with an instructor? Many will say whether or not they are good with nervous drivers. It is scary getting into a car with a stranger but it might just give you that bit of confidence to drive on your own, or in the car knowing that your partner can't help. What about a relative who could do some "practice" with you? Once you are actually driving, you'll probably be fine. I find sitting and worrying about something i fear makes me feel awful and yet when I have to do something, it isn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Good Luck!