PDA

View Full Version : Can the police force me to have my dog put down???

dianes
16-04-08, 17:53
Hi everyone, I need some advice please :ohmy:

My hubby has gone down with a virus this week so I have not been able to go out. My son has been coming down to take out dog out for a walk at night. My dog is an 11 yr old beautiful golden retriever, she had always been great with people, children and other dogs and is sooo soft natured. She is wonderful with our 4 grandkids ranging in age from 5months to 8yrs.

Today after lunch my sister called to see me, she suggested we both go for a walk over the fields at the back of us so Tia could have a run. I was a little anxious about this as my hubby is my 'safe person' but agreed to go. I let Tia off the lead and linked my sisters arm. As we were walking I was telling my sister how 'Good' I had done last week.' We had got half way through the field and was passing some bushes when a bloke lunged out of them at us. Everything seemed to happen so fast, he was holding a can of beer and staggered into me with his arm raised, my sister tried to pull me away as I screamed, Tia came out of nowhere and jumped at the bloke and bit his hand. I was shaking like a leaf and a total wreck, my sister grabbed Tia, put her on the lead and dragged me back down the path. 3 more men came out of the bushes and they all started shouting at us, I couldn't understand them, by this time we were running back down the path. With the men following.

I was in total panick, my sister took me to her house as it was nearer and made me a cup of tea. This is the first time Tia has EVER bitten anyone. My sister walked me home after I had calmed down. 2hrs later she was at our door with two police men, one of the men had contacted to police. I had to give a statement as the man had reported my dog. My sister made it worse by telling the police she was going to buy Tia the biggest treat for protecting us. They couldn't tell me what is going to happen and I am worried sick. We can't afford solicitors fees as I had to give up work due to my health yrs ago and am disabled and my hubby is my full time carer. I haven't been able to get throught to the citizens advice. My anxiety is through the roof, do any of you know if the police can force me to have my dog put down because she has bitten someone???? I am going demented over this.

Diane

Franz
16-04-08, 18:05
Diane,

I very much doubt that these cretins would have a leg to stand on in court. It beggars belief that they had the gall to call the police. Even the best natured dog will bite someone if its owner is being threatened.

I don't know the law on this matter, but I'm sure your dog can't be put down just based on some low-life's made-up story.

Sorry I can't be more helpful and I know how worried you must be. Do keep us updated here.

All the best,

Francis

mf
16-04-08, 18:19
Hello Diane

I have fortunately not had this experience so i am not much help but just wanted to say that i really sympathise, i too have a Goldie and they are the most gentle and good natured dogs.. These men were obviously up to no good and the your dog was just protecting you and i am sure the police realise this and in these circumstances your dog would not be put down..I can really understand how you must be feeling.... Sorry i cannot offer you any useful advice but just wanted to offer you some support as you have had such an awful experience but i am sure it will all turn out ok ...
Take care M

bottleblond
16-04-08, 18:27
Hiya Diane,

I doubt very much hun that the police would have you take the dog to be put down. Although this drunk man didn't harm you, he was still psyical toward to and that's something the dog would not have liked.

P.s if i was the dog, i would have bit the bloke too :winks:

Love Lisa
xxx

ksmith
16-04-08, 18:29
Surely the police won't take this too seriously? I think the local authority has jurisdiction over issues like this but surely it would be bad PR for them to sue the innocent victims of p.... heads falling out of bushes and frightening two women walking a dog. Isn't it equally an offence to be drinking in public places? Particuarly if they were acting in aggressive manner.

Try not to worry too much. The fact your dog has never bitten before and that there was provocation probably means your dog's safe.

Hope this sorts itself out quickly.

kay

SueBee
16-04-08, 18:37
Common sense says it was a povoked attack and no, they will not make you put your dog down. The only time they can do that is if your dog was on the rampage and savaged someone. This was not the case so I think your dog is safe.

I have a black lab and I know he would protect me too against any stranger.

I honestly dont think you need worry too much.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on :)

dianes
16-04-08, 19:17
Thanks everyone for your kind messages of support. Apologies for posting this in the WRONG thread I meant to post in Misc. Shows what a state I am in. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud of Tia for protecting us, but am worried about the biting. I did stress to the policeman who took the statement that she had NEVER before bitten anybody or anything, and that we did all get a shock. But he did point out what would she have done if it had been a child? My sister did say a child wouldn't have lunged at us drunk and never mind that he had to have a tetunus, I should take Tia to the vet to see what she might have caught. I know she was angry but this didn't really help at all.

I haven't been able to eat anything tonight as I can't stop worrying. He did say they would get back to us on this matter so we should hear tomorrow I expect.

Hugs to you all :bighug1:

Diane

Richie
16-04-08, 19:30
Hi please please don't worry, your dog was doing what a loyal dog would do.
anybodys dog would do this in the same circumstances.
I'm pretty sure if your dog is reported then they will take all that has happened to you into consideration.
These days we have to do what we can to protect ourselves.!!!!!!!!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\don't (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/) Don't worry love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lorac
16-04-08, 20:39
Hi Diane

I think any good dog would do the same to protect it's owner if they thought they were being threatend. The police probably only came around to get two sides to the story but I don't think anything will come of it. I am surprised those blokes had the cheek to report it, sounds to me that they were totally at fault not you or the dog.

Try not to worry about it, my dogs would have done exactly the same if they thought I was in trouble. That's what a good dog does.

Love
Carol
xxxx

SueBee
16-04-08, 21:09
Diane, I know I posted before but I have been thinking about your problem. If the worst does happen and the police do go against you, contact your local paper, they would love your story and people find the subject of an innocent animal being subjected to this kind of treatment very emotive. Also contact your local MP ........ I can guarantee you will get all the support you need from your local community. My ex used to work for the police and it is all about PR, they would bow to that kind of bad press ............ doesnt hurt to have a back-up plan eh?!

Best of luck and please do let us know how it goes :)

kazzie
16-04-08, 23:38
Hi:D

ABSOLUTELY NOT:D

Please dont worry there is no way your dog is in trouble:D

My mate is a copper and have checked:yesyes:

Attack(if you can call it that) was entirely prevoked

You should see my lab go if he sees a stranger lol

Sleep easy

Kaz x x x:hugs:

london
16-04-08, 23:54
your dog will not be put down if you got probs come in chat i help you
i had trouble over dogs myself

Hope 2
17-04-08, 02:40
Hi Diane :D

What fab news from Kazzie eh .... heard it from the horses mouth type thing . Brilliant news . Its the cretins that were in the bushes that shud be put down if yah ask me . How scary for u , well done u :flowers: .

love to the woof woof lol
Hope xx

dianes
17-04-08, 19:05
Thank you so much everyone for your kind response:D
I had a terrible night last night, I was stessing so much the anxiety went off the scale, this increased my abdo pain and I started vomiting. 10pm my son had to come and drive me to the emergency docs as my hubby was to ill to drive. I have been put back on temgesic sublingual for the pain. My son was so angry to see me in such a state that he phoned the police to try to find out what was happening.

The officer that he spoke to said he couldn't comment on the case as it was ongoing and that each case is dealt with according to its merit. It will be up to the investigating officer to decide the outcome but we would be kept fully informed. He explained to my son that the incident comes under the dangerous dog act and it doesn't mean 'three strikes and you are out'. A dog can be destroyed for biting someone once and the only advice would be for me to think about putting a muzzle on Tia given the circumstances. He also pointed out that it wasn't helpful for people to lose tempers in this situation as it makes them look 'the aggressor'. I was upset with my older sisters sarcasm and knew she had annoyed them with her attitude even though I could understand it.

This morning we recieved a call from the police to tell us they are still investigating the 'incident' and they would tell us the outcome as soon as possible. I thanked him and told him I would muzzle Tia when she is out for a walk. He told me he thought this was a responsible thing to do.

I phoned our vet to ask her advice about muzzles, I explained what had happened and said I didn't want to muzzle Tia as she has never been muzzled in her life before and given her age I didn't want to stress her. She has known Tia since she has been a puppy. She said it would show that we are being resposible even though Tia was only protecting me and no way was she in any way a vicious or threatening dog. She advised me to use a soft muzzle and to get her used to it in the house first before taking her out, that it wouldn't harm or hurt her but she would have to get used to it. My daughter bought one this afternoon and we put it on her. The poor thing hates it, it was so distressing for her and me that I took it off.

She didn't go out for her walk last night and at the moment I have told my son not to come down to walk her tonight. I don't want her going out and I certainly don't feel like going out either. I feel so down at the moment, I keep thinking maybe if I hadn't screamed Tia wouldn't have reacted the way she did and none of this would've happened. I just hope Kazzie is right and nothing will happen to Tia, I can't understand why it is taking so long and what on earth they have to investigate. Will keep you all posted, sorry for the long post.

Hugs to you all:bighug1:

Diane

I didn't sleep last night as me and hubby were too upset. This morning we had a phone call from the police

kazzie
17-04-08, 21:30
Hi Diane:hugs:

If a dog is deemed a danger it is removed and kennelled by police straight away to await the outcome......not left at home as Tia has been!!!

Please try not to worry:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

dianes
18-04-08, 15:31
My hubby woke me to tell me that there is going to be NO action taken against us. I am sooo relieved I can't tell you. I should've listened to you Kazzie as it would've saved me a lot of worry.:hugs: I do not intend to go anywhere near those bloody fields again. I don't feel like going out anywhere at the moment so I am going to stay in with Tia and slowly get her used to wearing her muzzle that way I'll know for certain that nothing can happen to her when we do go out. The thoughts of losing her just terrifies the living daylights out of me. I must admit I do feel angry at the moment, I feel angry aoubout those stupid blokes, angry with my sister as it was her idea to go there in the first place, angry with myself for being pathetic and screaming and angry with the police for it dragging on so long.

I am quiet new to computers and know there is a way to scan photos into them but don't know how to yet. When I have worked it out I will post a photo of Tia so you can see how lovely she is Kazzie.

Hugs to you all :bighug1: :bighug1:

Diane

'Your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

SueBee
18-04-08, 15:37
Thats FANTASTIC news Diane!!
And you arent in the least pathetic - who wouldnt scream at a drunken yob lunging out of the bushes?!!

Hope you can find some peace now that you know your dog is safe.

Take care :D

bottleblond
18-04-08, 15:44
Brilliant news Diane!!! :yesyes: :yahoo::bighug1:.

xxxxxxxxxxx

kazzie
18-04-08, 21:24
Nice One Diane:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

I wont say I told ya so lol:D

Ohhhh and would love to see a piccie:yesyes:

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

Hope 2
19-04-08, 06:25
Hi Diane :D

Fantastic news about your doggy :yesyes:
Shame it took so long for u to find out . It's a horrible time you have had . I am so pleased she is gonna be okay . Please never feel daft for not being a big old toughie type of person , cos they r often big old teddy bears deep down too .

best wishes
Hope xx

mirry
19-04-08, 07:58
Glad it worked out ok , give tia a doggy treat from me :yesyes: