PDA

View Full Version : newbie - chest discomfort, seeking advice

e_ramon
16-04-08, 21:35
Hey there, newcomer to these forums, they sound very helpful :)
So I’m 18, and not long after my 18th I had a pretty full-on panic attack for the first time. I’ve had some anxiety from time to time ever since, which I’ve essentially learned to deal with, but this is different to what I’m used to.
I was in bed late last night, feeling a bit restless. I had a gentle pulse in my hands, and without warning it seemed to wander off, maybe stutter a bit... I briefly felt like something wasn’t right (weird chest sensations), and then I got some thumping palpitations in my chest. It all happened in seconds, my pulse felt somewhat normal again afterwards but I was left wondering what the hell just happened. It was very discomforting and I could tell it wasn’t just occurring in my head. It happened again several times that night and I barely managed to sleep.
I haven’t been diagnosed with heart problems or anything, but naturally when something like that crops up I get pretty worried. I did search around a bit, and found out about ectopic beats. Could anyone tell me if I’m likely to have had those? Maybe it was something else? Should I see a doctor? I’m uncertain :shrug:
Thanks a lot!
-ed

tracy1972
16-04-08, 22:03
i am also a newbie and i get the same things and ive been told they r panic attacks but for your peace of mind go to the doctors i go to them even though i know what it is but just waiting to find out what causes them hope this helps from tracy

joannap
16-04-08, 22:03
hi. i used to get this a lot - a sort of fluttering feeling or sometimes it used to feel as though my heart had flipped and i had to sort of cough - they are eptopics/palpatations - totally harmless and apparently go with more exerxice etc so don;t let them worry you. xx

chalky
17-04-08, 12:58
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

bottleblond
17-04-08, 13:30
Hi E

Palpitations/Ectopic beats are a very frightening but a very common aspect of anxiety. They are harmless hun so try not to worry about it.

Lisa
xxx

e_ramon
23-04-08, 11:54
Thanks a lot for the responses folks. It hasn't been so bad lately, and it never seems to happen during the day. I've found that taking a rest in front of the TV seems to put my mind at ease a bit... :laugh:
-ed