PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant, No Meds and Getting Worse!

Laura xx
28-03-05, 19:41
I am now 9 weeks pregnant and feeling terrible. I have been off my medication for 5 weeks now and all the panic feelings are coming back!

I have got a racing heart, missed beats, shakes, panic attacks, feeling faint and keep thinking I am going to die.

Also not sure if the constant nausea is pregnancy or nerves.

The Doctor has said I cannot take any medication whilst pregnant.

I am due to see a Councillor on Thursday, although I cannot see this will help. I am a wreck. I have even considered not continuing with the pregnancy so that I can go back onto some medication.

This is ruining my life and I hate it! Just need some advice!!!!

seh1980
28-03-05, 19:46
hi Laura,

So sorry to hear that you are going through such a horrid time. Being pregnant is probably adding to your nausea and making you feel worse on the whole. Don't give up on the counselling until you have been. It really helped me even though I didn't think it would. I hope things start looking up for you soon!!

Sarah :D

della
28-03-05, 19:48
hi laura

sorry you are feeling so low....you can always talk through your feelings at anytime by posting on here if you can learn to control your symptoms by using relaxation and taking time for yoursel...having a new baby can be very excitingplease allow yourself to enjoy it.....if you need to talk PLEASE do not hesitate to get in touch i will be here for you.

della

nomorepanic
28-03-05, 19:50
Laura

I bet it is pregnancy causing the sickness but the withdrawal from meds wouldn't help.

Do you really want to be on meds that much that you abort the child ? I am sure you don't. Did you want this baby?

You need to start coping with the panic by looking after yourself and facing it head on. Re-read all the info on the website - www.nomorepanic.co.uk and especially the "First steps" post and the "Coping" one. You can get through this without meds and then you get to keep the baby too.

Talk to the counsellor and let them help you.

It can be done without meds - I haven't taken any for over 7 years and I am doing fine - it was hard work yeah but it can be done.

Your decision at the end of the day but think carefully about it ok!

Nicola

mico
28-03-05, 20:17
Hi Laura

Sounds like a tricky predicament you're in. Not sure if I have any advice, but would like to offer some encouragement.

I'm not surprised you're feeling a little panicky, it must be quite a stressful time for you. I'm sure pregnancy won't help the way you feel either.

I think it's a good idea to see your therapist, even if you don't think it will help, it's always good to get someone elses perpective.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it'll work out well, just try to be positive about it. In 8 years I have never taken any medication. There have been times when I have thought I was going to lose it, but all in all most of the time I get by ok. And you will too.

Ok, so I'm not too good at encouragemnt either. All I want to say, is that sometimes things get on top of you, but when you start looking from a different perspective, it's not always as bad as it appears.

mico

FAN
28-03-05, 20:33
hi it might all settle down when you get to the 12 week stage as the sickness tends to ease and then you can start trying to solve the other stuff im sure your hormones are causing much of them as we know how we always feel worse when were having periods etc.............ask about other stuff you can take such as rescue remedy or something go for the alternative im sure there will be info somewhere about whats safe to use during pregnancy

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

Laura xx
28-03-05, 21:05
The pregnancy wasn't planned, but I have a lovely husband and two gorgeous boys and always did want another child but was just going to wait until I was feeling better.

I also suddenly lost my mum last year to heart attack and I miss her terribly.

I just wonder if I am being fair to my husband and children because when I feel this way everything in the house changes. My husband becomes the mum and try as I might I just feel useless. I am sure my kids are fed up with hearing "mummy isn't feeling well!" x x

seh1980
28-03-05, 21:24
I'm sure things will get better soon Laura. I wish you all the best. :D

jollywalrus
28-03-05, 21:25
Hi Laura,

I just wanted to let you know that you can take anti-anxiety medicine when you are pregnant. I know, I have a healthy 11 year old to prove it! Of course it is best to be tablet free, but telling you medicines will abort your baby is irresponsible and simply not true. It makes me really angry. Find a sympathetic doctor and he will help you make life a lot easier. It really can be done. My daughter had no ill effects at all, and I was able to enjoy my pregnancy.

Christine

nomorepanic
28-03-05, 21:38
Laura

Well you have to decide what you want more.

Personally I would do all I could to keep the baby and work on getting over the panic etc. It can be done!

We are here to help if we can.

Good luck.

Nicola

sal
28-03-05, 21:43
Laura

Hang on to those words that you wanted to have another but once you were better. We cant judge when you would feel like that and it has happened. However you will start to feel better, its early days and your homones will be all over the place, we all know how hard the first 12 weeks can be with sickness and not feeling like we are ourselves. This is a new addition to the family and i am sure you will be fine in time.

You have done so well so far and i know that you will carry on fighting how you feel. We are all here for you and wishing you all the happiness you deserve.

If you ever want to talk please email or pm me hon.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

jollywalrus
28-03-05, 21:46
Actually Nicola, I did all I could to keep my baby as well.

Saying you need help is not failing, and I wanted and planned my baby from the start.

I was not uncaring towards my unborn child and I had good advice.
Please don't infer I didn't care.

Christine

nomorepanic
28-03-05, 21:51
Chris - I was never implying that. I was concerned that Laura was going to abort it just to go back on meds and that would be so sad. I never inferred that you did anything wrong.

Sorry if you thought I did.

Nicola

Laura xx
28-03-05, 21:59
I was only considering a termination because my Doctor, (knowing my past history with anxiety), asked if I would think about it because he wasn't sure if I was mentally able to cope with the pregnancy.

It really is the last thing I want to do, but feeling this terrible it does make you perhaps consider things that you would never would if you felt normal x x x

And although my Husband is wonderful, I was also considering all the extra pressure this puts on him xx

linjane
28-03-05, 22:00
Hi Laura,
I am sure you don't want to lose your unborn baby and it would only cause you more problems in the future if you made that choice. I have suffered anxiety and panic for years and get lots of your symptoms daily, but my doc refuses to give me any medications at all. I have asked and asked, but maybe because I have never known how much better it would be on medication I just have deal with it, because I can't have any. I'm sure you know that I lost my third child at five months and this has obviously added to my symptoms further down the line. Try to enjoy your pregnancy and the thought of your unborn baby joining your family. I know it must be hard if you have been used to medication but it will be worth it in the end.

I have also lost my mom so if you need to talk things over please PM me and I will try to help.
Take care,
Love, Linda.x

nomorepanic
28-03-05, 22:09
Laura

I can understand that - I couldn't cope with a baby right now but I mis-understood your post cos you didn't say all this at the start. You said it was a choice between meds and a baby and that is why I posted my replies.

Sorry if I upset you in any way - it was never meant that way atall, I just saw the post as a choice between meds and a baby and that upset me.

You will make the best choice I am sure and I wish you well.

Sorry if I upset you in any way.

Nicola

FAN
28-03-05, 22:14
i read it the same as you nic i didnt realise the doc advised against continuing the pregnancy because of your anxious state

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

sal
28-03-05, 23:06
Hi Chris

Nic wouldnt interfere at all and only offer the support you need.

Laura

We wish you the best of luck and hope it all goes well for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

sal
28-03-05, 23:12
My personal opinion would be to take on baord Nics help aned not to give her a hard time. She trying to help and didnt need that at all

Love Sal xx

Laura xx
28-03-05, 23:15
I wasn't trying to give Nic a hard time, and I really didn't take any offence at all!

I know she was only trying to help with her advice and all help and advice is welcome with me anytime!

Sorry if i have offended anyone, but not sure how if I have?

Sorry Laura xx

sal
28-03-05, 23:23
Laura

You havent offfended anyone We are all here to help you

Love Sal xx

doddy
28-03-05, 23:33
Laura,

Ive read with real interest and sympathy for what you must be going through. Though the feelings are bad now just try and think how this will all feel in years to come with your beautiful baby toddling around breaking things!!! im sure it will be worth this pain right now.

its only worry Laura, cant and wont hurt you, its hard and we all know what u are going through and are all here to help.

take care

doddy

lisarose
29-03-05, 12:08
Hi Laura, I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time and I really do sympathize with you but you are doing really well even though you don't think so now. Just remember that it can be quite hard coming off meds even without being pregnant and it must be twice as hard for you. I have suffered post-natal depression/panic attacks and severe anxiety that started in December 2000 when my son was 4 months old, I got pregnant in November 2001 which was unplanned and the thought of having another baby while I was so ill terrified me and my doctor agreed it would be best to have a termination as he didn't think and neither did I that I would be able to cope. I do regret having the termination at times and felt so much guilt after especially as my partner wanted me to carry on with the pregnancy but I know I made the right decision for me at the time. I am not advising you to do the same as only you know how you feel and only you can make that decision. I really hope things work out for you and I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Just a suggestion but have you tried any natural remedies for anxiety? I don't know if you are allowed to while pregnant but I am sure there must be something that is safe to take whilst pregnant.
If ever you need to talk I am here, you can email or send me a PM.
Take care
Love Lisaxx

rachel25
29-03-05, 13:09
as well as this site, try and find a pregancy forum and i am sure there will be other women who suffer anxiety who you could help and voce versa- wishing you all the luck in the world

Rach xxx

nomorepanic
29-03-05, 14:04
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I wasn't trying to give Nic a hard time, and I really didn't take any offence at all!

I know she was only trying to help with her advice and all help and advice is welcome with me anytime!

Sorry if i have offended anyone, but not sure how if I have?

Sorry Laura xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Laura xx - 28 March 2005 : 23:15:46</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Laura - I think Sal's comment was not towards you but about another remark that was made about me infering that someone didn't care.

You haven't upset anyone atall!!

Take care
x

Nicola