PDA

View Full Version : not alone

alexis
29-03-05, 00:37
Hi Ive just found this site and have to say it looks great, I know i would really benefit from the use of a chat room (and hopefully benefit others) I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder just over a year ago but if youd told me then I would still be suffering now I would not have believed you, thought it was temporary and would go in a few weeks.I do not have time to write what has gone on since, but to cut a long story short this has manifested in social phobia, extremely bad panic attacks,cutting myself off from people, depression requiring medication, councelling, the worst thing though is imagining things are going to happen. I know a lot of these are `silly thoughts` but at the time they are not and I will go to extremes to try and sort them.they are always horrible thoughts and nothing I say to myself will help me believe they wont happen.I am fortunate to have what I believe is the perfect job. I just love it and this has been my safe haven. I look forward to finding my way around this site soon and have good vibes it will help.

tt
29-03-05, 04:12
Welcome and yes you will find this a helpful site. You are trying to hard to analyse and not accept what is happening. You can have ups and downs but more downs than ups is not good. I have had great help with the people from this site and it has made me move forward. It is a hard thing to cope with and deal with and sometimes we look for the right words or people and it comes from within and that is not easy when we have more strength in negative than positive thinking patterns. Hopefully we can overcome some of these together.
Once again, Welcome!

TT:)

TT:)

FAN
29-03-05, 09:11
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find lots of great help and advice here

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
29-03-05, 10:36
hello Alexis,

Welcome to the forum!! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Sarah :D

clickaway
29-03-05, 13:08
Hi Alexis,

You are certainly not alone in your suffering and feeling.

I have suffered like you for just over a year now, but found this site a few weeks back and it has been good for me. You'll find bags of advice and support around here.

We also have a chatroom which gets busy from around 8.30
http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

rachel25
29-03-05, 13:15
Hi alexis, you will find it really useful in your journey to get well, it has been a godsend to me!!!!

Rach xx

sal
29-03-05, 13:51
Hiya

Welcome to the site. You will get lots of support and help on here. You will make some good friends as well.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

maxine
29-03-05, 15:03
Hiya Alexis,
Welcome to the site:D:D

Take care
Maxine

nomorepanic
29-03-05, 15:25
Hi there Alexis,

Welcome aboard the forum. I hope we can catch up later in the chat room but please feel free to ask any questions etc and I hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

kairen
29-03-05, 15:50
Hi and welcome alex.

you are not alone on this one i'm like that to over stupid things, i make my self ill over it stuff that might not ever happen, I'm no where near as bad as i used to be.

This is a great site and you will get great comfort to see that you are not alone, I cant believe how many people have the same daft thoughts as me LOL.

Hope it helps you and might catch you in the chat room take care and try not to worry to much xx

kairen x

Meg
29-03-05, 17:36
HI Alexis,

**the worst thing though is imagining things are going to happen**

Anticipatory anxiety - a common cause of triggering panic attacks off.

Think back and try to guess how many times you ' what if ' a situation to the enth degree or worry whether 'it might' ...

Remember : energy follows thought so think scared = feel scared.

Keep rational even if you can't keep positive all of the time.

Nothing is a silly thought when you're thinking it.. once its passed it may seem silly.

You're aiming to keep letting these thoughts pass through you and not dwell on them which give them energy and keep them current in your mind.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Tracy68
29-03-05, 17:42
Hi Alexis
Can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said. It is a great site and you won't find many more people who are as kind and friendly as everyone on here. Hope it will help you.
Take care
Tracy
x

Karen
29-03-05, 18:53
Hi Alexis

Welcome to the site. You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

alexis
30-03-05, 00:19
Hi I would just like to say a great big thank you to you all, I came back here today to browse, certainly not expecting all the positive comments and words of advice. It was wonderful. I have been a member for less than 24hours and already I know there are now many other people out there who understand. I try to be positive but I am a very impatient person when it comes to illness, want to be better yesterday. I was always very sociable, me being the one to arrange all the social events etc. I now avoid them finding it difficult to give people the real reason for not going.
I have only just accepted the fact it takes time to get better, (more than a year) but reading what all you guys wrote is super, thanks thanks thanks.

lisarose
30-03-05, 07:10
Hi Alexis, Welcome to the site, you will find lots of great advice and supoort here. Things will get better, it just takes time and unfortunately there is no miracle cure for anxiety but it helps if you have a positive attitude and the determination to get better and with everyones help and support on here you will feel much better soon. I have only been here for about 6 weeks and it has helped me so much.
Take care
Love Lisaxx

Meg
30-03-05, 09:53
Alexis,

I wouldn't advise putting a time scale on recovery. Who told you a year ?

It all depends on the personal circumstances and situations, time since problems began, what else hits you in that time and the effort put in to recover.

Many people take far less than a year and others can take longer.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

alexis
30-03-05, 18:55
Hi all, sorry Meg I dont think I worded my last message correctly, what I meant is Ive now accepted that to suffer like this for a year (which I have done), is Ok and quite normal. I dont have to be better by a few weeks which was my expectation. My expectations are too high for myself as my councillor has told me, it would be nice though wouldnt it if we could be told how long, sorry and hope this makes it clearer.

nomorepanic
30-03-05, 19:28
Alexis

When I first started suffering (11 years ago now) I thought "hey I will be better in a few months!!"

I never ever imagined it would take so long but then I never had the support that I get now from this forum and website and even my doctor wouldn't say what I suffered from was Panic attacks.

We just can't put a time on the recovery process - it works at its own pace and can only be helped along by us but not rushed lol.

Nicola

della
30-03-05, 20:41
hi alexis

welcome to the site you will find alot of support here as well as friends

take care

della

sal
30-03-05, 22:07
Hi Alexis

You are so right in how you feel if someone could just say you are going to feel this bad for 7 months etc then you know there would be an end but unfortunately it doesnt happen like that, but in time it does get easier. No one can promise we can totally overcome this but i am sure if we try our hardest we can do our best.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.