PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the doctors...

dan155
18-04-08, 12:55
Went and told her about my heart palpitations and feel better for doing so (last timei went to doctor a year ago they just said it was nothing). She had a listen to my heart and said it was okay but she could hear some ectopic heart beats, i couldn't feel them but apparantly this could be what im feeling when i feel the palpitations?

They are going to give me one of those 24 hour heart monitor thingies in the next few weeks to try and record the palpitations and take a closer look. Also took a blood sample to make sure its not my thyroid.

Am i right in thinking ectopic heartbeats are the same as PVC's? Read up a bit on them both and im quite happy to see that they are apparantly benign and can be caused by stress, anxiety, caffeine, alcohol etc? (Im thinking it may be a combination of anxiety and alcohol, im a student so i do drink a bit).

countrygirl
18-04-08, 14:16
Yes ectopic heartbeats are also pvc's usually. In a healthy heart they are almost always totally harmless but extremely unpleasant.

I have suffered with them badly for past 20 years and had endless tests. I was told that if a patient doens't mention feeling them then even if they are every 3rd beat like mine can be then the Dr's don't even tell the patients as they are of no consequence. They said anxious people tend to feel them much more as they are so sensitive to their bodies. TRUE!

Good to get the 24 ecg as that will put your mind at rest about your heart then its a case of tellin gyourself they feel awful but won't hurt you.

dan155
18-04-08, 15:52
What do yours generally feel like? I can swear that mine are sometimes a few beats in a row without gaps, its hard to tell because by the time i put my hand to my chest they are usually gone, its usually an averaged paced beat and ill feel about three of them in a row then my heart will go back to normal.

Does this mean i sometimes have 3 PVC's in a row? I'd be unsure about this because light headidness or anything doesn't accompany them. Maybe its just an awareness of my actual heartbeat?

marie1974
18-04-08, 16:14
good on you dan for going to docs, i cant help you with ectopic heartbeats but i just wanted to say welldone you must feel so much better xxxx