PDA

View Full Version : bathroom obsessive

xs0dap0px
29-03-05, 04:23
ok highly embarrasing for me but i guess i am looking for others with my same problem ......when i leave my house to go anywhere i manifest the feelings of having to use the bathroom and we are not talking #1 here .......soon as i get to a place i will scope out where the bathroom is just in case ....i have been on several medications none seem to help really ....its getting to the point where i dont leave my house that often and forget about dating i mean can you imagine the embarasment that could cause ......looking for help and others who can realate

FAN
29-03-05, 09:21
hi i think lots of us on here will share what your going through . when im going out i get all worked up about what if i need the loo and cant find one then i end up going lots of times before i set off just in case i cant find one when i actually dont need to go at all its just the awful thought of being stuck somewhere with the need to go

i never do actually need to go once i do get out but that doesnt stop me obsessing beforehand

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
29-03-05, 10:44
hello,

I always need to know where the bathroom is as well even though I hardly ever need to use it..I guess it's because we just need to feel 'safe'..

Sarah :D

paul26
29-03-05, 20:15
Bathroom problems is my latest symptom and one I am currently finding it impossible to get over. I was coping with my anxiety and getting out and about with experiments, etc but then I developed a problem with needing the loo after just going and having a weak bladder sensation in public places that has stopped me in my tracks again.

paul26
29-03-05, 20:17
it is the most humiliating feeling I have experienced with anxiety.

xs0dap0px
31-03-05, 06:20
thanks so much for the reply's ......its good to know that i am not alone

FAN
31-03-05, 11:22
hi paul sorry your suffering with this but your not alone lots of us have it its just hard to get yourself convinced your not gonna have any mishaps, i have to try go about 20 times before i go anywhere and though i never actually do need the loo when im out it doesnt help next time

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

paul26
31-03-05, 13:33
Thanks Fan. I know, it's a fairly new symptom I've only had it really bad since October 2004, after I travelled to Glasgow all by myself - from East Sussex to try and push me forward (I was staying at an internet mate's house and going to a gig), sadly though it was too big a step for me and I was anxious pretty much the whole of the 4 days (except when I was a bit drunk, of course!)... what made things worse was that he didn't know so I had to keep it altoghether in front of him and others.

Anyway, I can sometimes control it with positive thoughts and I have made it into my home town centre again a few times this year but it just frustrates the hell out of me because I was making progress before.

FAN
31-03-05, 16:07
i know what you mean about getting frustrated when you have made progress then something else pops up and knocks you over but you can get past it just everything talkes time hang in there you will get past it

fan x

Hellion44
24-06-05, 16:46
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">ok well my problem is pretty embarrassin aswell! And it's a bit like urs except that whenever I go away from home, even if it's a friend's house, on holiday or even at school I can't go.. My mum said that it's phycological and that I am mentally stopping myself from going and as soon as I get home I can go- sorry bout this but I just wanted to know if anyone else suffers from this. I never feel comfortable away from home so maybe that's it? And even if I do, it takes me days to be able to go. HELP! [Ugh] :( [Sigh...] xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by xs0dap0px - 29 March 2005 : 03:23:07</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

HELEN! xx

stardust
04-09-05, 20:36
Hi. I have a big thing about bathrooms and i hate having to use public ones. Yuck. But i have to grit my teeth and use them otherwise id be having problems. Also i hate using the buses as they are always full of un hygienic people, always wondering who has sat on the seat before me etc etc. Its awful.

pips
04-09-05, 20:59
Hi,

I'm exactly the same i always need to know where the toilets are to.
My hubby evan starts pointing them out now!

I could start up a toilet tour around the town Centre! as i know where they all are! I might make some money you never know!

I always have to go the last minute before i go out as well even if i don't really need to.

Crazy huh!

Take care your not alone!

Love PIP'S X X

emz05
05-09-05, 17:35
You are definitely not alone i think because i didn't know why i was having panic attacks i began looking for reasons and i have always had a bit of a toilet thing so i latched onto that and then i began obsessing about it which made it worse. As soon as i began to feel better it seemed to go away, i think it is a feeling of needing to be 'safe'.

Hope you feel better soon

Emma x x

sal
06-09-05, 00:05
Hi Emma

I have a friend just like you and she wont commit to anything regarding journeys, long shopping trips etc and has being like that for about 7 years, then only last year she started to suffer from panic attacks. Guess it has always being dormant in her but weird how it come out of no where for no reason.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

stardust
07-09-05, 18:42
Dont stress too much. Use the toilets at your nearest Harvey Nichols as they are always clean. [8D]

"the truth is out there" frank gallagher, Shameless

Lou17
24-11-08, 04:09
Ive not left the house in 7 years due to this fear, Im only 23 and I have missed out on so much due to this fear of loosing control.But I can not prevent the thoughts anymore, which triggers the physical, if only their was some way to stop it, I dont wanna be agoraphobic all my life. Its killing me, but I find it embarrassing to talk about, other then my doctor and I dont think she takes it seriously at all, yet its destroying my life. If you find any solutions let me know! xxx

Keep going
24-11-08, 14:29
Ive not left the house in 7 years due to this fear, Im only 23 and I have missed out on so much due to this fear of loosing control.But I can not prevent the thoughts anymore, which triggers the physical, if only their was some way to stop it, I dont wanna be agoraphobic all my life. Its killing me, but I find it embarrassing to talk about, other then my doctor and I dont think she takes it seriously at all, yet its destroying my life. If you find any solutions let me know! xxx

CBT, is good for this. It helps you to cope with your irrational fears. And to relax you more, so you are less anxious.

KG

freakedout
24-11-08, 21:38
This is a very interesting post, thanks for bringing this issue up.

Although I don't consider myself to have a bathroom obsession, I have a very real fear that when I am in one of the situations where I might panic, or indeed when I am panicking I actually believe I will... (err how do I say this nicely??).... soil my trousers!! I think that is where the term "sh**ting yourself" comes from. The fear is always there when I panic, and the need to keep running to the loo before I go places is just beyond belief. I hate it, it is embarrassing to talk about never mind to experience. I really loathe this symptom of anxiety and panic.

In the past I have had to rush out of places because I have thought I needed the loo, to find that I don't when I get there. I am totally unable to relax my bum incase I have an accident, and sometimes I only have to smell car exhaust fumes (you know the eggy ones) and believe I have ... err...had an accident in the bowel dept. Sorry too much info but it is real, it is horrible.

I really do sympathise with you all.

Freaky

Lou17
02-12-08, 06:13
No its not too much information, I must admit I get very embaressed when talking about it but after so long Im starting to think that Im not anymore. I do belive that the intense feelings stemmed from the symptoms of a panic attack, and obviously feeling that fear of actually doing so from either It installed a permenant fear in my mind. So Im constantly on alert in case it happens, Im fine at home, but I dont go Out anywhere because of it. Everyone tells me I should just go out, what would be so bad if it did happen? But I just cant I'd feel ashamed of myself. I have no idea how to beat this, its been 7 -8 years, I dont want this to last forever, its taking away my youth.

kitty007(f)
08-06-09, 21:26
Hiya!

I suffer with this symptom - I use the loo lots before going out too far afield, when I get to a place I go straight to the loo. At the moment I panic when driving along a motorway because I don't know when the next toilet will pop up...so I try to stick to country roads etc....it's really difficult to cope with, I've never discussed this with anyone before.

When I'm building up to an attack my stomache goes mad.....feels like I need to just sit on the loo...because I get this sensation my panic is heightened and the loo anxiety thing increases too...what a nightmare - I am so glad that there are others who have this problem to! :-)

caroline jane mercer
15-10-09, 00:09
ive had this toilet obsession for years which is what brings on the panic esp if im with a stranger im ok with the people that i know but having to explain yourself i cannot do like my friends will say theres always somewhere you can go wether it be a pub and u have to buy a drink i now have markers and think where im going and where i can go to loo on the way etc this helps

Luci-loo
15-10-09, 02:00
I have an all out irrational phobia of wetting myself as well and it's been making me miserable for years. A lot of people really don't get it they just think it's a case of just going when you need but when I feel like I need to go I need to be sitting on a toilet within minutes or all hell breaks loose. I used to try and sort it by just not drinking but all that happened was that I made myself ill (headaches etc). It got to the point where I wasn't even able to leave the house. Trying to work through it at the moment and almost getting somewhere but I still feel physically ill when I need to go. At the moment I've even too scared to take the full amount of trazodone in case the sedative makes me wet the bed.

Roxy72
13-11-09, 21:49
This is a very interesting post, thanks for bringing this issue up.

Although I don't consider myself to have a bathroom obsession, I have a very real fear that when I am in one of the situations where I might panic, or indeed when I am panicking I actually believe I will... (err how do I say this nicely??).... soil my trousers!! I think that is where the term "sh**ting yourself" comes from. The fear is always there when I panic, and the need to keep running to the loo before I go places is just beyond belief. I hate it, it is embarrassing to talk about never mind to experience. I really loathe this symptom of anxiety and panic.

In the past I have had to rush out of places because I have thought I needed the loo, to find that I don't when I get there. I am totally unable to relax my bum incase I have an accident, and sometimes I only have to smell car exhaust fumes (you know the eggy ones) and believe I have ... err...had an accident in the bowel dept. Sorry too much info but it is real, it is horrible.

I really do sympathise with you all.

Freaky

Hello Freaky,

I also get a fear of soiling my trousers. I even bought adult diapers, in case I need to wear them for long trips where a bathroom is inaccessible. I keep plastic trash bags and toilet paper in my car, as well, in case I have an emergency and need to go...well...in my backseat or on the side of the road. This has never happened of course, but it's my emergency plan.

Sometimes I find that getting anxiety further provokes stomach-aches and can cause diarrhea. Someone else mentioned that they don't like to travel on highways because you don't know where bathrooms are located at (or they are too far away). I have also began to avoid the highways and instead take the back-route into work every day.

It's interesting that we all share the same anxieties about the bathroom. Does anyone else have a stomach or intestinal disease? I was recently diagnosed with IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Diarrhea-prone) which only furthers my anxiety. Now I need to worry about diarrhea in addition to my normal anxieties. This is very tiring, all this mental worry is taking a toll on me.

P.S. I also use the bathroom multiple times before leaving the house...sometimes I don't need to go but just get comfort out of visiting the bathroom and know it's available.