PDA

View Full Version : IBS/Dairy intolerance or just anxiety?

Joanna
18-04-08, 22:24
I have been suffering with a funny tummy for a few months now. At first I thought it was a dairy intolerance, so I cut it out from my diet. It continued so I went to my doctor and he suggested IBS. I get terrible cramping pains, bouts of constipation and then diaorreah and a generally unsettled feeling in my stomach.
This is not helped by the fact that my panic/anxiety is mainly due to my Emetophobia. Therefore I go straight into "panic mode" whenever I have the slightest grumble in my stomach. I am constantly taking anti-diaorreah tablets, which my boyfriend thinks is not helping my stomach. I then reach for the Stemetil. I'm not sure if it is IBS or just all part of the anxiety.
Does anyone else suffer similar symptoms? Also if you also suffer with Emetophobia.....how do you cope?

Thanks

Jo xx

aliciajane
19-04-08, 00:31
I get nausea and generally a really horrible time with my tummy due to my anxiety and panics. It's not nice is it :weep:

Phill2
19-04-08, 01:39
Hi Joanna
I suffer the same as you . I asked my GP and she said that it's a rare thing for someone to suffer anxiety and NOT have IBS with it

Phill :shades:

lesleya
19-04-08, 07:51
I really feel for you hun
I was told the same as phil....its one of the way anxiety manifests itself through ibs....i had awful stomach pains, cramps nausea (but was never sick)
When i was fully recovered from my anxiety/panics for 8 years i never suffered ibs at all, but, now im going through menopause and getting anxiety/panics back...then back came the ibs too. Great isnt it as if we didnt have enough problems:shrug:
But heyho i live with the thought i did it once...i can do it again
Im sure you will recover too.
xxxxx
:hugs: :hugs:

CONS
19-04-08, 10:49
Hi Joanna
I suffer the same as you . I asked my GP and she said that it's a rare thing for someone to suffer anxiety and NOT have IBS with it

Phill :shades:

Agreed ^

This is how terms like "gutted" or "i dont have the stomache for it" came about, showing that stress does indeed have control of the bowels. Slight changes in diet may help but then you have to question does it help because your wanting it to?

Either way it is normal, not sure about the med you described for the IBS, maybe worth looking into effects that prolonged usage has on your stomache and also to read about other people who take it, to help you feel more at ease with the drug.

Cons

cavegirl
07-05-08, 18:49
Joanna

I'm new to this board - and I know this thread is a few weeks old, I just want to say how much I understand what you're going through, this is exactly how I am at the moment.

I constantly take stuff like Immodium because of a previous bad experience - my tummy seems to work overtime and I find f I don't take it then my symptoms are much worse.

According to my GP anti-diarrhoeals are one of the safest meds you can take - and so long as you don't suffer from any liver problems or are severly bunged up then you should be ok. Obviously, it's not ideal - but to get you through a rough patch it's ok. Every GP is different though, and that's just the opinion of mine.

My emetophobia is pretty bad at the moment too and I go through the whole cutting stuff out and restricting food to try and 'help', it really only makes thigs worse in the long run - I've recently re-introduced dairy back into my diet after realising it wasn't making a blind bit of difference cutting it out...

sending hugs to you and wishing you well
cavey
xx

LucyA
08-05-08, 05:57
Hi Joanna,

You're really not alone here. My anxiety started two years ago and manifested itself as the very same symptoms you're experiencing now, and I felt sick 24 hours a day. I had already cut out dairy from my diet 18 months previously and was convinced I was now gluten intollerant (as my Dad is both) but when I had blood tests was shocked to find out I was neither lactose nor wheat intollerant. Nor did I have IBS, crohn's or an ulcer. I was in complete dispair at what on earth was wrong with me, and eventually admitted to myself that it was anxiety. Luckily, when I did this and got support from my friends and family the symptoms started to ease off.

What I'm trying to say is, sometimes anxiety happens in a cycle (you're scared of being sick, and feeling sick is a symptom of anxiety etc. etc.) and just as it can be built up, it can be broken down in such a way. Tackling it head on might cause the symptoms to ease, which in turn reduces the emetophobia and so it carries on!

Good luck hun,
xx

Zingara
18-05-08, 20:21
This is me! I am an emetophobe, I've suffered badly for years, and also have terrible IBS. I get bouts of diarrhoea in the mornings (sorry!) and it affects my whole day as I'm scared I'll be sick. I have loperamide (Imodium) on prescription, but I don't want to overuse it...I think I take too much anyway.
I get into a horrible panic every time I get IBS thinking it'll lead to vomiting.
Gosh, it's awful...