PDA

View Full Version : I've never felt so happy!!

Gregor
18-04-08, 22:28
Hi,

I haven't posted for a while, because i felt it was best to take a back seat and concentrate on myself.

Some of you may remember that back in November, I achieved the ultimate achievement in my life and travelled all the way to Peru.

The first few months were difficult, very hard actually... living in a new and very hectic environment - if you saw that programme 'House of Agoraphobics' when they went to Tokyo (i think), that's kind of what it was like for me.

My New Year's Resolution was to absolutely get better. I decided i would not return to the UK until i was 100% well again. That was my goal starting January. I found a fantastic psychologist out here. She speaks quite good English and the cost is the equivalent of about 20 pounds per session. At one point in the UK i was on a waiting list for 3 years and still got no where!

I had to travel halfway round the world to get the treatment which the NHS could not provide in all that time!

Seeing this psychologist has totally transformed me and my life. The first session with her, i was in such a state, i could hardly concentrate. One week later, I was in far more control and able to relax during our session.

Now, after about 2 months, i am going out on my own to the supermarket (a massive place, bigger than any i've seen in the UK). I'm going out in a strange country, unable to speak the language and all alone -- and i can do it. Best of all, i so so so want to do it. Every day, i just want to go out. I spending a lot of money when i'm shopping, though! but at least i'm doing it.

I can't tell you just how happy i am and how positive i feel. I haven't felt this happy in about 5 years.

I'm doing so well that even last week i was struck down with illness for a week and, upon my recovery, i felt really bad anxiety-wise and felt i had gone back to square one. That was a week ago. I decided immediately that i would go back to my original schedule from my psychologist and start again - just not giving up, as i would have done in the past. Now, one week on, and i am back pretty much on course - i have been out on my own in Peru every day this week so far - more than once a day on some occasions.

I know i am not completely cured yet and still have a long way to go. I intend continuing with my course and continuing with whatever i can do, but i just know i WILL get back to normal again. I can feel it. When i think about that statement, it makes me almost cry. It makes me want to cry when i think about me getting better. I'm just so so so happy.

I hope everyone on here can take a little inspiration from this and if i can be of any help, i would be delighted to give my words of wisdom. Finally, i feel i can give help to others and that has never been the case before.

Please never give up and always always remember nothing can harm you. Just do what you have to do and never be afraid.
Gregor

bluebell68
18-04-08, 22:38
Hi Gregor...im fairly new to the site and it is fantastic to hear from someone who is 'living the dream' so to speak, only its a dream that you have made a reality... it is a real inspiration to me that you have made such fantastic changes to your life and gives me hope for the future... i wish you nothing but the best and i am certain that with such determination and positive attitude you can only go from strength to strength...I would love to hear more about how you are getting on , so keep posting

I mean it...Well Done... you should be very proud of the progress that you have made and thank you again for your post :yesyes:
Rach

marie1974
18-04-08, 22:42
hi gregor i just want to say what a lovely post and congratulations, it just goes to show us all that if we help ourselves alittle with support of others we can start to get better. i suffered awful and turned to exercise mainly walking and its done me wonders and keeps me motivated, i even lost a stone too. i hope everyone reads this and are encouraged to take steps even little ones to help make them smile again xxxx

Gregor
18-04-08, 22:48
Thanks for all your replies - and so quick too!

My road to recovery has not been easy - i make no bones about that. At my lowest points i've felt suicidal and everything.

My point is, if i can get this far, then it's possible for everyone. It wont be easy, but it is possible.

Lindalou64
19-04-08, 01:40
Hello Gregor And Welcome........i Wish Ya Well.......linda

Jaco45er
19-04-08, 08:23
wow Gregor I am well impressed.

Great news, I hope you just keep getting better and better and keep us up to date.

Good luck chap

Jaco

PUGLETMUM
19-04-08, 10:40
:yesyes: :hugs: gregor, i am sooooooo happy for you!!!! this has got to be one of the best recovery stories ever!!!! you will now never be troubled by anxiety again, well you will but you wont let it bother you:winks: you have done the ultimate i think and you should be very very happy!!!! btw what are you doing in peru? and also how come they have a B-I-G supermarket??? i would have imagined they had markets, not supermarkets bigger than ours, what is going on here:winks: anyway i suppose it goes to show the view you get of the world when you dont actually go anywhere:blush: big hugs to you gregor:hugs: :hugs:

Gregor
19-04-08, 11:32
wow Gregor I am well impressed.

Great news, I hope you just keep getting better and better and keep us up to date.

Good luck chap

Jaco

Thanks Jaco, but what's going on with your logo? (the Celtic thing!). I'm a 'not so proud' Hearts fan!!

Gregor

Gregor
19-04-08, 11:41
:yesyes: :hugs: gregor, i am sooooooo happy for you!!!! this has got to be one of the best recovery stories ever!!!! you will now never be troubled by anxiety again, well you will but you wont let it bother you:winks: you have done the ultimate i think and you should be very very happy!!!! btw what are you doing in peru? and also how come they have a B-I-G supermarket??? i would have imagined they had markets, not supermarkets bigger than ours, what is going on here:winks: anyway i suppose it goes to show the view you get of the world when you dont actually go anywhere:blush: big hugs to you gregor:hugs: :hugs:

Thanks Emma.

I'm telling you this supermarket is about 2-3 times bigger than my Asda store in the UK! and i remember being terrified of going to Asda. Now, i'd love to go there.

The thing is they don't have many little shops like our Tesco Express or anything, just one big big supermarket with everything in it.

I'm Peru, by the way, with my wife who is Peruvian.

I'm under no illusions that the battle is completely won. If i let my guard down now, i know what will happen. I have a lot of work to do to get me back to where i want to be, but i am doing it, i can feel it and finally i'm going to get better.

I really really want to give some good advise to others, but i also realise from my own experience that no two people are the same. What i do know is you really need professional help to get you through it. I once spent months hardly able to get off my bed. Just walking from one room to the other made me feel dizzy. I could never have gotten over that period without the help of a support worker at the time.

I hope everyone can find themselves once again. It feels so good to have at least part of me back again.

Gregor

Jaco45er
19-04-08, 20:04
Hearts fan eh? ;) I had a soft spot for Hearts after Marillion (Fish) sang about Hearts of Lothian on the Misplaced Childhood album, but I recently found out he is a Hibs fan lol

Once again mate, you are an inspiration.

jaco

PUGLETMUM
21-04-08, 11:27
:hugs: hi gregor, that does explain why your in peru:winks: when you say you dont want to let your guard down - do you mean you need to keep tackling the anxiety and panic continually - like things keep popping up to make you anxious an dyou have to face it time and again, but you could easily start avoiding stuff again? btw i agree totally that we need help if we arent making any headway with recovery, although my therapist said id done most of the 'work' myself with self-help. but i think there is always room for a professional in the mix, so long as you feel they care and are comfortablw with them - alot of people struggle for whatever reasons to find somebody they gel with, for me i was very lucky and i really liked my therapist, and i hope youve found the same with yours, and she is certainly cheaper than mine was:ohmy: :yesyes: