PDA

View Full Version : help to get better!

bluesparkle
29-03-05, 11:05
hi
i have been reading lots of the posts on here(as well as the information).
i have ocd/anxiety ...but i dont tell anyone... i am even having trouble going back to the doctor... i saw a counsellor last year who wasnt very helpful but i never tell my family...we are not close anyway or my friends not that i have many now as i stopped going out as this got harder to live with.
i find it really hard when i see them moving on with thier lives and im so stuck...
i meant to see the doctor a while ago but i always back out ...im not sure what reaction i will get dont want to get there and they tell me to pull myself together as ive tried that...but i am going to ring them now...
i do not want to be like this anymore and will do all it takes to get better... but i am also scared of seeing a doctor etc and talking about it...scared of what might happen..
reading this back it sounds a bit silly ...but am i the only one who tries to hide it..
apart from on here that is and thats because i know you all understand and are very freindly..
i hope this makes sense ive managed to get accross how im feeling im not very good at putting it down
rach

FAN
29-03-05, 11:09
hi your not alone with hiding this problem so dont feel you are i think i hide mine as its easier than trying to explain why im the way i am

the doc will not tell you to pull yourself together and im sure once you get it all out in the open to him it will be a huge relief for you and also the start of some much needed help..

let us know how you get on

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
29-03-05, 11:49
hello Rach,

Good luck with the doctor. You are doing the right thing and I hope it all works out for you!!

Sarah :D

rachel25
29-03-05, 12:44
Rach, the doctor see's people like us all the time and hopefully will not tell you to pull yourself together but will understand it is an illness not to be ignored. If you want anyone to talk to, send me a private message or you'll find my email on my profile

Rach xx

nomorepanic
29-03-05, 14:32
Rach

You may like to write everything down before you go so you don't forget anything like all the issues you have and the symptoms etc.

It may help anyway.

Nicola

della
29-03-05, 23:01
hi rach

Please do go and see the doctor, I completley undestand how you feel about family and losing your friends...i to had the same problem, my family didnt really want to know and any friends that i had soon got sick of me not be able to go out and move on with them.
The doctors sees people with anxiety related problems all the time you will get a great deal of support from this site, if i can help at all let me know, also the chat room is a great place to talk things through.

take care

della[:o)]

sal
29-03-05, 23:14
Rach

You are not the only one that tries to hide, i have been there in denial, but a times comes when you need professional help. I will help you all i can but you go and see your doctor and see what they can offer. You have my number and anytime you want to talk you know i am here for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
30-03-05, 05:50
Hi Rach

I also hide these problems from my family as they've not been understanding in the past. I am lucky to have a good friend who lives close by and she has been supportive throughout the years I've had these problems.

Can also understand your fear of seeing the doctor, but it is a good decision to go and ask for some help. Like Nic suggested, it might help to write it all down before going.

Good luck.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
30-03-05, 10:24
Hi Rachel

If you've had anxiety and OCD for ages already and have been coping ok but are slowly becoming aware of changes maybe you don't actually have to see a doctor now.

They will probably suggest medication and/or refer you to a counsellor or the mental health team. So if you want to go down the medication route or get an NHS referral then you do need to see your GP but it is entirely possible to get better / make good progress with self help and/or private therapy.

Good luck if you went to visit your GP.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

bluesparkle
30-03-05, 11:39
thank you all so much for your replys ... it is really nice to know people understand...
i have got an appointment at 4.45 today..my own doctor is away but im going to go anyway... i just cant seem to get back on top of things at the moment...so will just go and see what he says...
i dont really want to go on medication but feel that maybe some counselling would be good...

Laurie28
30-03-05, 12:08
Hiya Rach,

Good luck at the doctors - have you written everythng down as Nic suggested?

I remember trying to explain how I was feeling to people and it was so difficult - If you don't feel comfortable telling people then don't - However I personally was surprised at the understanding I got from them

If you don't want to go on meds then don't - no one can force you

Lucky

Meg
30-03-05, 13:55
Good for you - let us know how you get on.

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

bluesparkle
30-03-05, 18:58
well i went :)
the doctor was very nice.. and really patient i was even able to tell him that just being there was hard for me...
i have been refered to the mental health team (lucky for me there is a cancellation for mon morn) and they will find me the right counsellor and also advise if i need any medication...
so will now have to wait till monday and see...
rach

Meg
30-03-05, 19:28
Thats great news and to have a set appt so close.

Thats really a very good outcome.

We wait to hear from you on Monday. Well done for going.

Meg

nomorepanic
30-03-05, 20:21
Rach

Great news and well done you for going!!

I am pleased they didn't fob you off atall!

Nicola

Karen
30-03-05, 21:12
Hi Rach

Glad your doctor was so helpful and it is really good that you haven't got to wait long for the appointment.

Well done for going.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
30-03-05, 21:52
I'm glad that the doctor was nice and was able to help. It's great that you have an appointment so soon!! :D

bluesparkle
30-03-05, 22:09
thank you all for your replys
its really nice to know im not alone ...
will let you know how it goes on monday :)

sal
30-03-05, 22:52
Hope it goes well for you hon and we are all here to support you. If you want to talk pm or email me and i will call you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

bluesparkle
04-04-05, 11:56
hi
well i went to the doctors... got in a right panic before but i was dertermined to go ...
only to find that the person i was seeing was covering for someone in a different town... they said they would make me anouther appointment which they did but.... its for the 9th may that seems miles away and i suddenly feel so alone.
so i am not happy at the moment and of coarse because its upset me all the problems seem so big right now.
rach

doddy
04-04-05, 13:39
hi bluesprakle,

just been reading your posts, firstly well done for taking the deccision to deal with this and move on, you should be proud of yourself.

fully understand the disappointment of having to wait, but you now have the attitude of wanting to resolve this which is the building block to recovery. So what id suggest is using this time to start the process, look at the first steps on this site, they are a great place to begin, trsut me.

when you see the cbt person alot of what u do will be using the principles outlined here so see this as a chnace to get those skills tuned for when you meet the cbt person.

100's of memebers here who weill help you, support you, and hold your hand as u start the walk to recovery.

take care

doddy