PDA

View Full Version : illness and the internet

upsidedown
20-04-08, 04:43
I just recently found this website and think it is really great. After not suffering from any panic attacks for a few years, i recently had a relapse. I'm a 23 yr. old male. I had a little tingling in my hand and that set me off. Of course my stress and anxiety levels have been building for a few weeks and i wasn't taking the necessary measures to calm myself. What frustrates me is that when something like this happens, i google a symptom and then find the worst case scenario on the internet and begin to draw frightening conclusions. With this instance, I began to convince myself that I had ALS or MS or some major neurological disorder. And it is quite easy to begin to find connections with about any disease. At least thats what I think. When i get caught on a certain ailment, it slowly begins to take me down that path we all want to avoid. Is this what all anxiety and panic sufferers do? I just hate this so much. i worry myself sick about certain symptoms. anyone else in my shoes?

kellie
20-04-08, 09:54
hiya upsidedown. just a bit of advice for you stop googleing mr google is not ur friend when it comes to looking up symptoms, he will convince you there is dreadful things wrong with you so he is best left alone. take a look at the symptoms section on the left and you will see that pins and needles is a very common with anx/panic. the symptoms on the left will explaine to you why it happens.
best wishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONS
20-04-08, 11:18
Very similar to what doctors go through called "interns disease" wheras you basically know too much and project phantom pains and "irrational" thoughts onto yourself.

Google is a catch-22 and always will be.

Yes anxiety sufferers do exactley the same as you and from being here, hopefully you will find solutions/suggestions on how to tackle these set-backs.

Good for you that you overcame it once before, you know you have that in you now.

Cons

Pickle
20-04-08, 11:22
Hi Upsidedown :welcome:

STOP GOOGLING !!! I used to do exactly the same as you - googled every symptom but since I joined NMP I havent felt the need. Whenever I feet the 'urge' to Google I just came on here and read previous posts.

Helps much more than reading a list of symptoms that could mirror a million different things.

Google is great - but only for the right reasons lol

Take care