PDA

View Full Version : citlaopram making anxiety worse

mandie
21-04-08, 09:45
Hi

Does anyone else think that citalopram is making their anxiety worse.

I have been on them before, only 10mg and they worked.

This time i started on 10mg in January 08 went up to 20mg in March 08 but came down to 10mg after a few weeks because they were making me lightheaded, anxious, hot flushes etc.

Im now on 15mg but my anxiety is through the roof.

I wasnt this bad before i started them.

Cant understand is as they worked fine for me before.

Can meds stop working?

love mandie x

hopeful
21-04-08, 09:54
Hi Mandie,

When did you cut down to 15mg? The anxiety can get worse when there is an adjustment of dose until the body gets used to the change.
Sorry,can't be of more help.:hugs:
julie x:hugs:

mandie
21-04-08, 10:21
Hi

I went down to 15mg about 3 weeks ago.

I only took 10mg last nite because im sure they are making me worse

love mandie

Franz
21-04-08, 12:11
Mandie,

From experience I think you can develop a tolerance to medication. 100mg clomipramine "cured" me for a long time, but doesn't work any more, just makes me dopier.

I'm now on citalopram. I find higher doses make my anxiety less intense but somehow "heavier". On lower doses I can sometimes shake it off by distracting myself.

Francis

mandie
21-04-08, 16:27
Thank you Francis

Im going to my dr tonite to see what to do next

mandie x

andrewc
22-04-08, 16:00
Hi Mandie

What did your Dr say about the dose? Sometimes we blame the tablets for the increased anxiety when in fact its not them at all. Have you had any therapy at all? That should help get to the root of the problem and help you to permanent recovery.

Regards

Andy

mandie
23-04-08, 10:54
Hi Andy

My doctor agreed i could reduce from 15mg to 10mg.

I agree that maybe it is not the tablets causing the increased anxiety, but since i reduced the dose 3 days ago, i do feel slightly better.

I am due to start a cbt workshop in a few weeks, so hopefully will get some help from that

love mandie x