PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam

Threesixzero
21-04-08, 10:09
I have been prescribed Diazepam as an emmergency in case of panic attacks. What should i expect to feel when i take these. Will i still be able to perform my job and drive home etc.

Does the anxiety disapear or do you become numb to it?

How long does the effect last and how long does it take to kick in?

I have been given these to combat the side effects of the flouxetine

maddie
21-04-08, 10:18
Hi. You don't say what dose you will be taking. The diazepam relaxes you so the panic dies down. It can make you feel sleepy within 20 minutes, so not really advisable to drive with it. On 2mg I could work, but on 5mg I would just rest. Hope it works well for you. Please remember it is only for use in emergencies.

smudgie
21-04-08, 10:23
Hi Threesixzero

Ok I hope i get this right.
Im on Diazepam 20mg, was on 40mg per day but slowly reduced.

Firstly what dose have you been given, that will help explain the side effects.
If its a small dose 2mg it will start to work asap, it should help you feel more relaxed and perhaps push away the panic to a distance.

If its a higher dose you have to be careful when you first take it as you dont know how it will effect your own body as we are all different.
I would strongly advise that you take the first dose when you are at home and dont have to go out so you can experience the feelings it gives you in a safe place.
If your dose is high I strongly advise you not to drive it will slow down your reactions.

I will warn you because of my own situation try not to take it regular because diazepam is addictive, take it only when you really need to but it should help you calm down .

Im stuck on 20mg because Im afraid of the effects of coming off them, its not very nice.
Please dont think Im putting you off because the drug will help but please read info on the drug and only take it when you need to.

Let me know how you get on
take care of you
smudgie

Threesixzero
21-04-08, 10:30
I have been given 5mg diazepam

I am on 20mg daily flouxetine

Thanks for the advice

smudgie
21-04-08, 10:35
Hi

5mg so be careful where you are when you take it. You will feel the benefit of 5mg, I do hope it gives you some respite from the alwful feelings.

Take care you of
Smudgie

decca
22-04-08, 14:27
Hi 360.
I've been on 2mg per day Diaz. since Feb. and it's helped me tremendously,could hardly leave the house before I started taking it and can only recomend it.
BUT -
treat it with respect as it's an extremely powerful and addictive drug and should only be taken when really needed, otherwise you'll soon find that your body will get used to the med and you'll need to keep increasing the dose to maintain the benefits.
Hope you feel better soon
Best wishes
Decca

decca
22-04-08, 14:28
Hi Smudgie -
Are you still tapering ? when was your last cut ?
How are you coping on 20mg ?
I think I'm well enough now to start thinking about it but like you a bit scared of the withdrawal effects.
Decca

emm1397
25-06-08, 13:33
i have got 2mg for emergencies too. Only taken it once - when we had to go out with the in-laws from hell!!

Never had it since but i have to have it in my bag to reassure me that i can cope and its there if i need it.

Have you tried Kalms or rescue remedy. Although Kalms can chill you out too much - it is a sedative and made me drowsy with prozac

Dont be scared of it but keep it for real emergencies!

EmmaJane
25-06-08, 15:12
Hi I have 2mg for emergencies. It will calm down the worst of the attacks. First use may make you a bit sleepy, so be a bit wary of when you take it, as to what you have to do next (especially within 30 minutes or so). IE: driving.

I am now using recue remedy, which is quite good.

Don't be frightened of it, just try not to panic to much when you take it.

Hope this makes sense?

pooh
25-06-08, 15:18
Hi

When I was first prescribed fluoxetine I was also issued with diazepam. I took 20 mg of fluox and 2 x 5mg of diazepam a day. The reason for this was because initially fluoxetine can make you feel worse for the first couple of weeks and the diazepam balanced this out. I worked throughout the whole time I was taking it and was very relaxed.
At present I am still on 20 mg of fluoxetine and although I am prescribed 5mg tablet of diazepam to be taken daily, I only use it if I feel I have to. ( which isnt often at all.)

Hope this helps

Pooh x