PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid Issues

dette
29-03-05, 21:25
I have an underactive thyroid, can this cause panic attacks? Does anyone else have this problem???

della
29-03-05, 21:50
hi dette

Yes i have an underactive thyroid and yes it can cause anxiety and panic attacks. Mine was left undiagnosed for over 11yrs but thyroid problems are easily rectified by taking meds.

take care

della[:X]

seh1980
29-03-05, 22:07
Like Della says, they can cause panic attacks but not always. :D

Karen
30-03-05, 05:53
Hi Dette

I also have underactive thyroid and this can be a cause of anxiety or possibly exacerbate anxiety. However, it is easily controlled with medication.

Are you having your thyroid levels checked regularly by your doctor?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

dette
30-03-05, 20:00
Yes, I am having my levels checked all the time. My levels keep changing and so they keep playing with my dosage of Synthroid. Every time they raise it my panic attacks seem to get worse, pounding heart, out of breath, etc. It is to the point that I hate going to the doctor, they always tell me that my thyroid will not cause panic attacks. Thank you for all the wonderful posts, they sure make me feel better.[^]

Meg
30-03-05, 20:07
Dette,

It is extremely well documented that thyroid issues cause symptoms that almost mimic those of panic and anxiety. The origins and nature of the feelings are different but the end result is similar.

Once they get the balance right of your meds you should start to feel much better.

Take care.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

tattybear
30-03-05, 20:10
HI

Im on Matazapine for depression / anxiety.

Ive been told my throid is enlarged but any blood tests have shown as clear, the hospital have put me on a waiting list for a scan on my thyroid now. But my psychiatrist has said that Thyroid problems can cause anxiety / depression.

Tatty B xx