PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room

thirtysomething
29-03-05, 21:37
This is n't really a post about the Chatroom as such, it's more about social anxiety.

I've gone in the chatroom a few times but I find I have the same problem I have in real life eg pubs. I find it difficult to get into a conversation especially as everyone already seems to know each other. I find myself just observing what's going on.

Am I the only person with this problem? How do other people cope?

Thirtysomething

nomorepanic
29-03-05, 21:39
Hiya 30

We are all new in there at some point so don't let that worry you.

Be like most in there and just start chatting away and jump in and be nosy and ask questions etc. It will get easier in time.

If I am in when you are I will start a conversation with you and get you chatting ok?

Nicola

sal
29-03-05, 21:39
No you are not and many people have spent a lot of time just observing before they felt able to join in. It takes time but i am sure if people read this post who go into the chat room they will help you join in and feel comfotable about it.

I know it seems that everyone knows each other really well but you will amazed how some people have only met on that night, it is just one of those places where people feel relaxed and join in. Dont you worry you will be fine and get lots of help in there.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

carlin
29-03-05, 22:07
Hi there,
I feel exactly the same, have only been to the chatroom once or twice, have always been welcomed, but that quite scares me, i am not very computor lit. but i feel if i don't join in, it looks bad, as if i'm looking in Mind you, at my age i'm normally ready for my bed at 10 p.m. take care and just go for it - there are so many likeminded people here you can't go wrong, let me know how you get on xx

seh1980
29-03-05, 22:08
hi thirtysomething,

Just come in and 'listen' for a while. Most of us do know eachother but there are new people the whole time. The more, the merrier!! You can join in or not - whatever you are more comfortable with.

Sarah :D

Karen
29-03-05, 22:46
Hi Thirtysomething

You are not alone in this. I also have social phobia and found it really difficult in the chat room at first. Even now I know the regulars, I still mainly watch if it is really busy. I find talking to people on the net easier than speaking, but still have difficulty getting involved in the conversations sometimes.

As others have said, it is perfectly fine to come in and watch until you feel more comfortable. I think going into the chat room has helped me and now there are a few people from this site that I am actually able to speak to on the phone. We all have to start somewhere.

Hope to see you in there sometime.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

della
29-03-05, 22:52
hi thirty

I to find it difficult sometimes on the chatroom but just jump in ...i do...lol

della

kairen
30-03-05, 10:56
ah i feel dead guilty now cos i was talking to you for a bit but had to go. sorry,
I've only been n chat room a few times and u do just have to jump in the first couple of times i went on i was first in then u do get talking to people b4 it gets to busy,

Ill look out for u next time but dont be shy we are all in the same boat, i dont really know anyone yet either,

feel free to pm me if you want a private chat any time

hope u have a good day take care xx

kairen x

kate
30-03-05, 11:46
First time I went into the chatroom, as soon as someone spoke to me I left!![:I]

I did go back again though, and stayed to chat! It definately gets easier and the more often you visit, the more familiar names become and you find that you automatically join in.

Look forward to seeing you there soon!

Kate x

kairen
30-03-05, 12:12
hi kate it was prob, me that scared you off, LOL

kairen x

bluesparkle
30-03-05, 12:15
hi
i just want to add to what the others have said...
i also went in for the first time and dissapeared the first time someone spoke to me....
but i went back and everybody was great really friendly and no pressure to join in until you are ready...
i spent the next few times just going in and saying hi and watching really... but have been in a few times since and actually become part of the conversation..
i thought i was the only one who was nervous about going in there...should have know there would be others..
take care and hope to chat soon
rach

kate
30-03-05, 12:28
Hehe, Kairen, no it wasn't you!! I've been going in for about 2 years!

Love Kate x

mico
30-03-05, 14:00
Hi

I actually find the chatroom quite helpful. Was a little nervous the first few times I went in, but that was a long time ago now.

Now, on some days, people are probably wishing that I'd shut up!

I believe chatting online has probably built up my confidence a little, as now when I go out I know I can build a conversation. Although I still struggle. I am very quiet normally, and if that was a real room, then you probably wouldn't get a word out of me all night! But since I've been practicing in the chatroom you might be able to extract a few words from me should I ever meet you in the street :D

Although this is seemingly the opposite for you, you may well find you're much more comfortable as you get to know people better.

mico

lisarose
30-03-05, 14:17
Hi thirty, Just want to say that I felyt exactly the same as you when I first went in the chat room, I have only been in a few times and found it difficult to keep up with the conversation at first as I had never used a chat room before and found it difficult to know what to say but once I got going I really enjoyed it and everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I don't go in there much lately as I have been going through a bad time lately and haven't much felt like talking to anyone and feel like I haven't got anything interesting to say at the moment and my boyfreind is normally using the PC at night but I think I might give it another try tonight.
Hope to see you in there soon and I will make you feel welcome and so will everyone else.
Take care
Love Lisaxx

kairen
30-03-05, 14:44
hi mico

i was talking to u in chat room last night. see u dont come over shy, but that's the good thing about the chat room, u dont see anyone blushing LOL

kairen x

maxine
30-03-05, 15:02
Hiya Thirty,
I was the same when i first went in infact if i remember rightly it was about a week before i even said hello , now you'll find i rarely shut up, to such a point that if i'm quiet people ask me whats wrong!:D

You'll get used to it when ever your ready to chatter you will and as you know although it can be a little fast sometimes we're a friendly bunch and we love to hear all about the newbies!:D

Hope to see to there soon.

Take care
Maxine

nomorepanic
30-03-05, 20:15
Kate - was that me and Su that scared you off!!![:O]

Max - you are great in there - entertain us all!

Nicola

kate
30-03-05, 20:45
Urmm, yes, probably Nic!![:I]

Kate xx