PDA

View Full Version : Need some reassurance

Cynical
21-04-08, 22:45
Hi, my name is Chris, this is my first time posting on here and actually first time posting anywhere about my panic attacks and anxiety. I am 18 years old and not too long ago I had my first real panic attack. I had trouble breathing, my chest was hurting, my legs were tingling and I felt dizzy and lightheaded. I kept thinking to myself "Oh my god I think I am having a heart attack". I went to the ER and they did an EKG, X-rays of my heart, bloodwork, etc. They told me it's just anxiety and that it will pass. They said they found some irregular breathing which caused me to have a higher level of carbon dioxide but if I started to breathe the way I was before it would pass. I did not feel too relieved because I was SO sure there was something else wrong with me...

Some time passed, about a month or so and I started to get more symptoms. I looked them up and found exactly everything that I was feeling was related to Anxiety and Panic Disorder. The article I read said "Many people who have these attacks mistake it for a heart attack". I thought that would relieve me but for some reason it didn't. I was just hoping this would pass and the next day I would wake up and feel fine.

Over the last week or so it only seems like it has gotten worse and that I can't focus on ANYTHING. I don't want to move from where I am, I don't want to go outside far away from where I can't get help, I don't want to do the things I normally do during the day because this is ALWAYS on my mind. I haven't been able to get a full nights sleep in a while. I'm always scared I'm going to not wake up or I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night having an attack. The thing that has been scaring me the most and keeping me on edge is when I feel like nothing around me is real - it feels like I am not me and I question everything that is happening around me. I lie awake at night thinking of any tiny thing that's out of place in my life and wonder if I'm going to die because of it. My heart races a lot during these attacks and sometimes lingers even when I'm not having one. I am just always on edge and not able to RELAX. For a while I was trying to stay away from medication but it felt like it was the only way out. I was prescribed Fluoxetine 10mg ( I guess its the generic name for Zoloft? ). I was also given Propranolol for my heart palpatations and to calm me down. I felt immediate relief from the propranolol but then it started to make me feel like my heart was going to stop beating because it was beating so slow.

I just want to be able to get back to a normal sleeping routine and wake up and feel refreshed instead of exhausted and anxious. Does anyone else get very strange dreams that seem so real that scare you enough to wake you up in the middle of the night? The last 2 days I've felt a little "shaky" I guess you could say ... I can feel my heart throughout my whole body (it's not racing) and it feels like I'm moving every time it beats. It's very hard to explain. I came on here to get some reassurance and to see if there's anyone else out there who is going through what I'm going through.

bluebell68
21-04-08, 22:59
Hi Chris...:welcome: to NMP.... you have come to the right place cos i am sure that most of the people here can relate to what you are going thru :weep: . Firstly don't be afraid of the Proprananol... i have taken it for a couple of years now and it will not slow your heart rate to a dangerous level but it will help calm your heart rate.. when you have had a rough time with panic/anxiety you become used to the racing heart, so it can almost feel strange when it returns to normal again but it really is helping to calm things down...... The fluxotine should help in the long term but you can get increased anxiety when you first start it but this should settle.. but if you find that it is not helping you go back to your doctor cos there are other meds that will work for you... i didn't get on with fluxotine, so switched to Citalopram which is working wonders... but i know people who have found the opposite is true, so its a case of trial and error to find whats right for you...
The other thing is the dreams... i had horrible vivid dreams in the first few weeks on both meds which was scary and exhusting when they woke me up all the time...but again these disappeared after a couple of weeks, i still get them sometimes but i know its the anx....
You are doing all the right things but you need to give yourself a little more time... you will feel tons better once the med settle, honest... just hang in there.....you can pm anytime you need to chat...
Take Care
:bighug1:
Rach

Cynical
21-04-08, 23:13
Thank you for your quick and detailed reply! It's so relieving to know you're not the only person going through this and that so many people have gotten over this. I guess I am just a little impatient and expect it to go away the next day.

I also wanted to ask something: I have not been sure if I've actually been asleep but it feels like I am. I am so aware of what is going on around me, it feels like such a light sleep but I am dreaming. I don't think I've slept through the whole night once in about 5 days. I've been sleeping off and on a few hours at a time. Is this going to cause future anxiety or will it go away once I calm it down?

Orion
21-04-08, 23:36
Hi Cynical
Firstly,welcome to NMP.I"m a very new member myself and have found this site a great help and the people very friendly.I"ve been on Proprananol for about the last 4 years and dont worry it is a good drug which does its job,which is to calm your heart rate.With Panic Attacks and anxiety there are no quick solutions,but there ARE SOLUTIONS.When I read your post it sounded like me 4 years ago.I could not leave the house or go to work,if i made it to the shop at the end of the street it was my equivalent of climbing mount everest.But things do get better mate!.It takes time.I can only tell you that your present is not going to be your future,and at your age you still have a long future ahead to enjoy.

Nice talking to you

Orion

H22
21-04-08, 23:57
Hi Chris
I get the same thing as you where i just cannot relax at all, even when i do the breathing etc i just can't relax, can't offer advice on it im afraid because i just go back to my safe point lol.
I also get the dream thing, where i wake up in a complete panic and can't sleep for ages after, i have nightmares revolving around my anxiety which triggers it off between 2 and 5 times a week, but again i don't know how to stop it.
Un like bluebell i found citalopram made me worse, but i spoke to a doctor today and she said in under 18's (im 17 in 3 minutes =p) it can work different, but its supposidly one of the best anxiety meds so you might wanna try it.
And try relaxation/hypnosis cd's that help you sleep, they can put you in a more peaceful sleep so you don't wake up in a panic (as much anyway)
Best of luck =]
xxxx

sonson
23-04-08, 21:44
chris,

im new to this site too. i have not had a panic attack since i read what the original author of this site wrote... the main thing that sticks out is that a panic attack gets to its worst point when you are having one.. it cannot get any worse, remember that. i know what your going through.. reread what he writes regarding panic attacks, it will help immensely. i only came back on here to try and help bc the feeling is not good, i know. especially bc others dont know what your going through. But you ll be fine, its normal.

ps... dont be so quick to take a pill, you can beat this without any medication... i have, well at least for 2 months. i was having them every other day. the symptoms you have had were the same as mine.