PDA

View Full Version : New here.

stresshead
22-04-08, 14:42
Hi I have at last plucked up the courage to post on this website. I have been a lurker for a while!

I am 26 and have been suffering panic/ anxiety for a while. I first had a panic attack in 2003- when I started college- I think it was the stress of juggling everything I have 3 kids- Any way I managed to survive and they seemed to naturally die down.
The past year they have come back with a vengence- I am now in my final year a uni- They are controlling my life.
I have been to my G.P who just said I am stressed and that I need to try relax!!! I have been to reflexology- it just made me worse as I had to drive there and that always mkes me panic!
I am now going to hypnotherapy and EFT- but I feel it is making things worse as I have to talk about and confront the things that make me panic.

I just feel really dissapointed with myself - why can't I just stop worrying??
Soory for rambling but I needed to get it off my chest.:blush:

hazey-babe
22-04-08, 15:08
Hi,
Welcome to the site. Everyone here is so supportive and caring. I've found it a great help and i'm sure you will too.
You seem like you are being really hard on yourself but try not to be. You have a lot on you plate with kids and going to Uni. I couldn't do that!!
Take care,
Love Hazel xo :bighug1:

thevoicewithinme
22-04-08, 15:29
Hi and welcome to NMP.

You will find lots of useful advice on here and meet loads of people who truly understand just what you are going through.

Kaz

trac67
22-04-08, 17:35
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Lindalou64
22-04-08, 17:43
Hello And Welcome..i Wish Ya Well.........linda

chalky
22-04-08, 19:25
Hi Stresshead,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

kellie
22-04-08, 19:36
hiya stresshead :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :biggrin: . you find lots of support/advice and very understanding ppl to talk to. dont forget to visit the chat room and talk to us all. i know talking about things can make you feel worse, but in the long run its what will start you on the road to recovery.
best wishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

Nibbles
22-04-08, 21:27
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :smile:

nomorepanic
22-04-08, 21:52
Hi Stresshead

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

marie1974
22-04-08, 22:21
hi welcome to this is a great site and you will get loads of advice xx

Ellkie
23-04-08, 00:32
Hello, have you been thinking about psychotherapy? I know you probably think that you dont have time for that but it is one of the best way to overcome fears and it did help me 100%. I was also in my last year of Uni and even though I dont have kids I was studying full time and worked full time with night shifts as a carer. But I have decided to make time for psychotherapy and it was the best step to get over it. Try also to spread your tasks into small ones and do not worry beforehand. Have you thought about natural remedies such as valerian or lemon balm tea? It helped me a lot! Try also make time for yourself, go for a walk with kids or even better on your own or friend if you can. All the best! It will only get better:)

Lilith1980
23-04-08, 06:43
Hi Stresshead

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Joe1981
23-04-08, 06:49
Welcome to the site! :D

stresshead
23-04-08, 15:11
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Ellkie- what you said about psycotherapy- what does that involve? is it like counselling?

Ellkie
23-04-08, 15:30
Well it is more or less the same. What I meant is any sort of talking treatment which will help you to learn why do you have anxiety problems and techniques how to overcome it. During talking treatment you will analyze your fears and have a feedback from professional learnt to help you. It can make a big difference in your life. It is definitely worth it. There is several different models used in counselling or psychotherapy. Cognitive- beahavioural is very effective and quick way. It teaches you to change your way of thinking (worrying) by breaking viscious cirles of thought and also how to identify your bodily sensations. There is also psychoanalytic model which is long term and deals with roots of your fears, past relationships, your childhood etc. Some therapists integrate few different models and personalize their work to the need of client. I am reciving integrative therapy which I find very helpful. Good luck!:bighug1:

Ellkie
23-04-08, 15:39
I would also like to add that as EFT is very effective for some, it seems that such short solutions can bring temporary relief and some possibility of relapse in the future. In therapy you will also have to face your fears but gradually and after some unsolved conflicts within yourself will be dealt with, so you will be ready for it. It is also long term solutions because you will learn what makes you stressed and invoke panic attack and it will be easier for you to spot first signal in the future and prevent full blown of anxiety. I thought what ios very important in dealing with anxiety is to deal with is gradually and not to jump to the deep end. Dont do anything you are not ready for. If you are not ready to face your fears wait and think about hte ways of how by small steps technique you can do it, familiarize with that plan, imagine how will you do it and then you will be less scared to do it. Good luck again:)