PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I am new here :)

Ellkie
22-04-08, 16:29
Hello Everyone!
My name is Ela and I come from Poland. I have suffered anxiety for about a year now...As for many of you it started unexpectedly and turn my life upside down. I had all possible symtoms: panic attacks, derealisation, depersonalisation, insomnia, feeling like fainting, flashing images when closed my eyes and so on...It has been a year now and I feel much more better but still having problems to come back to normal life pattern as I still cannot accept why it had to happen to me. I understand the reasons behind it but feel very dissapointed that I had to go through it... What I would like to share with you is what made me feel better, so maybe it will be helpful for you. I am psychologist myself (what a paradox;) and having been trained in psychological intervensions I knew that medication will not treat my anxiety. I have bet on psychotherapy, family support, herbal methods such as valerian and lemon balm tea and work on myself. During anxiety course I developed very strong agoraphobia where I was unable to leave my home for weeks... I could only go for a very short walk outside my home. I have decided to make a plan of my recovery with little step which would progress me to those big ones. For each simple task, example: shopping in Sainsbury, I made a list of little steps which would bring me towards bigger goal. AT first I came outside my door for a minute and so on and so on. 2 weeks ago I have been to Poland on my own by plane! During all this self work I have been attending private therapy which dealt with my deep rooted issues and taught me how to regain control over my life again and taught me very useful skills which I have not had before. Now I am on the verge of starting my life again and after spending one year at home I am trying to come back to work. I had already one trial which was unsuccesfull as it was full time, very demanding job and I realized that again small steps are important and decided to look for part- time not so demanding job. For those who just started journey with anxiety: you can overcome it! It is the most treatable mental health problem and you can live normal again! :yesyes:

bluebell68
22-04-08, 17:09
Hi Ela...:welcome: to NMP... it was great to read your post... its really cheered me up after what i can only describe as a somewhat testing day anxiety wise :weep: .....Its encouraging to hear from someone who has achieved so much and it gives me hope for the future...
Thanks again
Rach

Ellkie
22-04-08, 17:23
:) I am glad it helped you:) It is not easy obviously but I am sure you can do it. I would never imagine at the beginning that this nightmare will go away and it di not completly but I would say around 10% is left. So keep going! Everyone can do it!:)

trac67
22-04-08, 17:33
Hi Ela,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Lindalou64
22-04-08, 17:47
Hello Ela And Welcome....i Wish Ya Well.......linda

Ellkie
22-04-08, 18:59
Thank You all very much for your warm welcome:)
:bighug1:

Pickle
22-04-08, 19:04
Hi Ela and :welcome: to NMP
Take care x

kellie
22-04-08, 19:30
hiya ela :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :D . you find lots of support/advice and very understanding ppl to talk to. dont forget to visit the chat room and talk to us all.
best wishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chalky
22-04-08, 20:02
Hi Ela,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Nibbles
22-04-08, 21:30
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :smile:

nomorepanic
22-04-08, 21:44
Hi Ela

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

Joe1981
23-04-08, 06:55
Welcome to the site! :D

Lilith1980
23-04-08, 09:28
Hi Ela

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx