PDA

View Full Version : Exercise - how long till you feel good

Panic1971
23-04-08, 12:11
Just a quickie

I have started to do exercise in order to get myself in shape and to hopefully help with my anxiety. Only been doing it for less than a week, but was wondering - how long does it take for you to start feeling good about yourself?

I do some yoga on 1 day, then walking/thigh trainer the next. I spend about 1/2 to 1 hour per day. I am still feeling very panicky whilst I am doing it especially walking, and get dizzy with the yoga because I have trouble getting the breathing correct with the movements, but I am going to carry on with it though.

I am hoping to extend the time I spend on exercise - but dont want to do too much too soon, so will do it gradual.

Anyone have any good exercise tips they would like to share???

CliveL
23-04-08, 12:13
I went on exercise on prescription and joined a small class every day, I started over a year ago and really enjoy it.

bexy1970
23-04-08, 13:46
hi ann,
im joining the gym with my daughter as a last resort to be happy again.. used to a lot of exercise and looking back i didnt suffer anxiety or depression then! so going to try again!! keep me informed how your doing pm me ne time!! keep it up hun ans well done!!:yesyes: xx

halfnormal
17-06-08, 22:01
I've read it could take a few weeks. After all starting exercising can be painful on your body and you may start feeling symptoms you haven't felt before due to natural body aches

Oceanblue
17-06-08, 23:21
Hi,

It's fairly difficult to say, as I feel that everybody is so different. But, I would roughly say training for about 4 weeks, 3 times a week, working 1hr at a time is beneficial to start with and to start feeling much better in yourself and noticing a difference both in your mental and physical health.

I alternate my classes from Yoga, Pilates, Aerobics, 20/20/20, Circuit, Step, Body Pump, LB & T, Boxercise, Kick Boxing, Gym, Cycling and Swimming to get a variation and to stop getting bored with just one thing.

It's definately worth your perseverance. Keep it up :) xx

Joe1981
18-06-08, 05:39
4-6 weeks you'll start feeling great.. The first 2 weeks will be tough, sometimes if you don't exercise for quite some time then start at first it could make your anxiety worse. BUT keep it up it will get better!

I've been lifting weights for 2 months now and honestly i feel great! My anxiety symptoms have dropped over 50% easy! No word of a lie!

nomore
18-06-08, 10:20
I also think that this varies by person. I find that for me, it depends on my state of mind and general attitude. Believe it or not, your mind alone can actually "make" a particular exercise feel very easy or very difficult, which then affects how you feel after you are done. One day you might go out for a 10 minute run and it would be the easiest thing in the world and the next day that same 10 minute run could seem unbearable.

I started running about a month ago (used to be pretty active before the panics/health anxiety). I try to run about 1.5-2 miles a couple of times a week. To be honest, I felt good right after the first time I went for a run. I felt good because I had made myself do this, regardless of the anxiety and fear. In all honesty, making my self go out for a run has not gotten much easier and I still feel panicky at times but the feeling I get after completing a run is much more satisfying than any of that.

milly jones
18-06-08, 11:56
hi hun

i gpt two labs that keep me active

i started with small walks 1-2 miles.

i regularly walk 10 miles now with someone with me.

get a dog they love u too

mill xx