PDA

View Full Version : disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

Angel64
23-04-08, 16:39
Hi, I am a single parent on income support but with an extra payment for long term sick, I visited the jobcenteplus today to ask for a loan because I can only travel around using my own car, but as my car got stolen in January the only car I could afford is a very old one and not really reliable, I am unable to use public transport or travel in other peoples cars.

The lady explained that loans would not be given out for cars but when I explained why I needed a car she said was I not on disability living allowance, she then helped me make a call and arrange a form to be sent to me.

I basically have agoraphobia and general anxiety and am interested to know if others have got dla for this reason.

If you don't want to give circumstances a quick yes or no would be helpful.

Many thanks Christine xx :flowers:

Piglet
23-04-08, 16:40
Christine hun I get it for those exact reasons.

Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
23-04-08, 16:49
Hi christine

I was able to get DLA at the lowest rate for help with taxi fares when i was unable to use public transport but i wasnt claiming any other beneift at the time so im not sure if that makes a difference.

I remember when i claimed the allowance i told them that i was wanting a little part-time job but what was the point if all my earnings where going to go on taxi fares. They sent me forms to fill in to which i had to get my GP to sign to say about my problem.

I dont have much knowledge on the benifts system so im unsure if my post is helpful.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

Piglet
23-04-08, 16:54
Take a look at this site for advice on filling in the forms and also if you get turned down how to appeal.

DLA is not actually means tested so you don't have to be on any other benefits to be eligible. It sort of works abit like child benefit - if you qualify, you get it regardless of your income.

However if you are on benefits it can sometimes increase your income support by income support giving you a premium (if you don't already get a premium). Definately worth looking into though.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk (http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk)

Piglet :flowers:

Pink Panic
23-04-08, 17:32
Hi Christine

I get it for those exact reasons too.
My CPN helped me fill in the forms and she said that when you reply to make sure you say how you are when you are at your worst.

Good luck with it hun :hugs:

Pink
xxx

jesse08
23-04-08, 18:16
There are two components to DLA; care and mobility. The forms to apply for DLA can be quite daunting so if you are unsure, organisations like the CAB can help you complete them. There is also a section for someone who knows about your condition e.g. GP to add their comments. Although DLA can be backdated to when you first apply, it is paid weekly or four weekly so probably won't be enough up front to buy a car. However it is an additional benefit and as someone has said, it is not means tested. Go for it!

margaret911
23-04-08, 22:56
Hi Chris
I get DLA for being unable to go out on my own and for help with personal care, I get the low rate for each thing. When you get the form you have to fill it in what your like at your worst, dont be put off by all the questions just fill it in as if you are having your worst day, thats the advice I was given and how I filled mine in. Good luck and remember you can always appeal if they say you cant have it.
love Mags xxx

Oceanblue
24-04-08, 01:01
I've never looked into this myself. My bf works full time, I'm studying at the moment, we have two children. I have Bi-Polar/Anxiety/Panic, I have honestly never thought about claiming. I guess I'll be eligible too then ? This would really help.

lesleya
24-04-08, 02:09
You can get dla when you have agoraphobia, but as previous posts mention, get someone to help you fill in the form, because the way its worded is very important.....the citizens advice bureau are really good, or your cpn if you have one, a social worker, doctor etc, they know the system. They back date any payments from the date you apply. Dla isnt classed as an income as its purely for your disability eventhough you have to declare it, so it wont affect any other benefits you get.
If your awarded the high mobility rate you can lease a car through the 'mobility scheme'. That means that your mobility payment can be used to pay for a new car for you and is inclusive of your car tax and insurance.
Take a look at the motability website it explains it all on there.
I wish you the best of luck with your application.

Angel64
24-04-08, 08:52
Thank you so much for your replies, I will definately get help with filling in the form, I never thought I may be eligible but it was the lady on the reception desk at jobcentreplus that said I should.

It is more about the car than anything else, and some days when I am at my worse but have to go to say the bank I have no alternative than to chance parking on double yellows so I can just run in and out, this adds extra stress to an already stressful situation.

Like most of us I just tend to forget about my worst days and focus on my good days, I will have to ditch my positive attitude when I fill in the forms lol
It actual scares me though at how bad I am, and eventhough I dream of getting back into work I really seriously cannot see me doing so, it isn't being defeatist just realistic.

Christine xx :flowers:

Pink Panic
24-04-08, 09:21
Hi Christine,

First off, good luck with your DLA claim and if you don't get it first time then appeal.

Secondly, I felt i had to reply to what you said about getting back to work. From reading your posts i think you are at the same stage in your anx as me and it's like we are putting ourselves out there and doing everything yet there are still some things that seem impossible. I said to my Psych last week that when you aren't able to do anything no-one expects anything from you but when you start going out doing normal things everyone thinks you are recovered and doesn't see the sheer effort we are putting in. I also feel that when you are doing normal (whatever normal is ? lol) stuff you then want to be able to do everything at once but that's not possible..... it takes time.
I'm hoping to get back to College and like yourself i don't know if it will be achievable but hey we have to keep plodding away and stay positive mate as we are making progress ...... we will get there.
All the best :hugs:

Pink
xxx

cheeky monkey
24-04-08, 19:14
Hi Christine
I am on DLA care and mobility, You can get help with buying or leaseing a car, they will pay you that instead of giving you the cash, but I looked into this and it would cost about £100 a week, so you would have to be on the high rate. To me this seems a lot, I have leased cars in the past for a lot less from car dealers and garages. Also if you are on the high rate, you are exempt from paying road tax.

I am hopeless with filling in forms, but I had no trouble with the DLA forms, so don’t worry.
Hope this helps
susie

kazzie
24-04-08, 21:41
Hi Christine:D

Apply to your local council for a blue badge......then you can park most places.....double yellows included:yesyes:

If you get the high rate mobility of DLA you can give up the money for a brand new car and insurance tax and breakdown cover is included:yesyes:

Kaz x:hugs:

beth
24-04-08, 22:07
I got the high rate living allowance and medium rate carers got it 1st time my gp told me about it...

There replying pretty quick at the moment... the form is long and tiring and they tend to repeat the questions alot in different ways..

But you deserve a life and if that means a little bit of help along the way so be it..

Did you know if you get DLA you can apply for a car of them every two years..

Also the citizens advice beauru can help to fill the forms out with you they were very good with me..

Good luck and hope you get it

Take Care

Beth xx

beth
24-04-08, 22:12
Also to add on to that last thread if your on income support and you are awarded DLA they add money on to that £47 a week i think it is...

kashameets
29-04-08, 02:24
im on income support and have just got dla mobility and care at the low rate which is 17.10 each a week for agoraphobia.
its a very hard benefit to get and you have to word it properly as the first time i was turned down.
i would think you would get the lower rate so i dont think you get any help with a car but as you get income support you can ask for a budgeting loan.
you can get up to 1000 on that, but it has to be for household stuff or clothes and stuff, if you tell a little fib we wont tell anyone:winks:
they dont ask for prof of what the money went on but you do have to pay the loan back so they take some money out of your benefit each week.
a good site is http://www.youreable.com/TwoShare/getPage/Welcome/Introduction

xBettyBoopx
29-04-08, 04:42
Hi Christine

I claimed for dla and was turned down. I am single with no children. I have physical disabilities as well as agora. The only way I could get out anywhere, even a few miles was with my car. Then I couldn't afford to run it on incap benefit and got stuck indoors. They turned me down for even the lower rate of mobility. B******S!!

I think if you have children it probably makes a difference cause if you told the dla that you have to take your child to school but can't walk or take a bus for example, they'd prolly consider it and also the child needs to be taken out sometimes, they wouldn't expect her/him to stay indoors all the time. Like other people have said, to get the lease car you need the higher rate of the mobility allowance, but you wouldn't get any money as well. They also pay the tax I think.

Where abouts do you live as in area? Is it near the school, out in the country? That also will prolly make a difference. You have to lay it on thick, not lie, but make sure they know EXACTLY what you're going thru and how far you can walk etc.

I don't think that they stick to the 'criteria' as many people on here are in the same boat, some get dla and some don't. Maybe if your face fits or something, I don't know. But certainly with a child involved, they wouldn't turn you down.

Good Luck

Elspeth

kashameets
30-04-08, 00:43
Hi Christine

I claimed for dla and was turned down. I am single with no children. I have physical disabilities as well as agora. The only way I could get out anywhere, even a few miles was with my car. Then I couldn't afford to run it on incap benefit and got stuck indoors. They turned me down for even the lower rate of mobility. B******S!!

I think if you have children it probably makes a difference cause if you told the dla that you have to take your child to school but can't walk or take a bus for example, they'd prolly consider it and also the child needs to be taken out sometimes, they wouldn't expect her/him to stay indoors all the time. Like other people have said, to get the lease car you need the higher rate of the mobility allowance, but you wouldn't get any money as well. They also pay the tax I think.

Where abouts do you live as in area? Is it near the school, out in the country? That also will prolly make a difference. You have to lay it on thick, not lie, but make sure they know EXACTLY what you're going thru and how far you can walk etc.

I don't think that they stick to the 'criteria' as many people on here are in the same boat, some get dla and some don't. Maybe if your face fits or something, I don't know. But certainly with a child involved, they wouldn't turn you down.

Good Luck

Elspeth
you should claim again.
i was turned down the first time as they said when i was out i was aware of where i was, didnt matter that i had to have someone with me and get there in the first place:shrug:
i read up about what wording to use on the form, to put my worse days, and to put that WHEN i have instead of IF i have on the forms.
i have no kids or a car.
ive only just started getting it, i get mobility as i have to have someone with me if i go out.
and i get the care cos of the cooking test, i can cook but dont have the confidence to be sure its cooked so need someone else to look at it.
if you havent claimed for a while give it another go as also the form was a different one to the first one i did and its a lot easyer to fill out now if you have agoraphobia.
good luck

kashameets
30-04-08, 01:25
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/dmg/

julieb
30-04-08, 22:46
hi, i was wondering if anyone thinks i could maybe be eligible for any benefits? i suffer from agoraphobia, monophobiand anxiety. i cant stay in the house by myself even for a couple of minutes as i have panic attacks i have to have someone with me who can drive if i want to go out as i cant feel trapped anywhere, i'm also agoraphobic but have worked really hard on this and can go up to 20 miles from home but only if i'm with a trusted person. i can't drive anymore due to anxiety. i do work but my partner and best friend work at the same place and take me there. if my partner has a day off ill i wont go into work either as i cant cope. i think youre right, to outward appearances i'm coping because i go to work but people dont know how hard it is and only possible due to relying on others. i cant go into taxis or buses etc so couldn't go anywhere alone.

i'd appreciate any feedback

thanks

julieb
30-04-08, 22:47
sorry just reread that and it should say * monopobia and*

Angel64
01-05-08, 10:55
Hi, I recieved the form yesterday, but as I was having a really bad day dizzy wise I just read quickly through it and put it to one side. When I am like this I really can't consentrate properly and have read that we shouldn't make any important decisions when feeling this way.
I liked the post that said 'when' rather than 'if' that is a good point. Because on my 'good' times (I wont say day because seriously the symptoms can come on so quickly and can even change minute to minute) I can manage to go out to the local town on my own people presume I am 'better' but the effort attached to making such a small journey is so enormous, but putting it into words seems impossible.
All your advice is great, I am going to fill it in and see how it goes, you don't lose anything for trying.
There isn't a part that asks about driving though only about walking and how far you can walk, but I realised I don't ever go far from the car. I will mention the fact that I do my weekly shop online though as this does cost me £5.00 a week to have delivered.

Thanks everyone wish me luck. Christine xx :flowers:

gary_2.0
01-05-08, 11:36
For some time I lived off my saving and didn't wish to be reliant on the Social'. But my girlfriend at the time convinced me otherwise and the short version is that everything got sorted ok and I now have a regular payment coming in, not a lot, but it's of some comfort knowing that I don't get bothered by anyone as they only contact my doctor to determine if my circumstances have changed. All in all I find the process very sympathetic to my condition.

Always at the back of my mind is the desire to get a car again - not had one for over two years now - and it hadn't occurred to me that I might be able to get help with this. Again, I don't like to be reliant on others but if it's an option it would seem churlish to ignore it. I understand the road tax has increased too? Any way I shall have to look into it.

xxHonetBeexx
01-05-08, 14:48
Hi

I was told I could claim, I did a few yrs ago and didnt get it. I had forms come through today, but im not good with words!

Bee

gary_2.0
01-05-08, 20:07
Hi

I was told I could claim, I did a few yrs ago and didnt get it. I had forms come through today, but im not good with words!

Bee

There is a section here that is devoted to help with form filling I think? I don't think I imagined that. If you would like help with specific questions just type them up here along with your own answer to the question, (if that's appropriate and ok with you), so I and others can help you refine things that might better explain your situation - if you would like us to?

I hate filling in forms but generally know what kind of information is required. I'm sure others will have more recent experience with a successful claim too that can help.

We're all here for you Bee :)

kashameets
02-05-08, 00:57
julieb i think you should go for it:)

kashameets
02-05-08, 01:06
on the form put what you are like on your worse days.
put the words WHEN and not IF.
put the words support and encouragement not help.
ie i need support and encouragement to go out or when im out not i need help to go out.
dont skip bits in the form, i skipped the bit about walking as i dont have a problem with walking but i then read it and saw it says do i trip or fall and i ticked yes and no boxes, yes as when i have a panic attack i get really hot, go deaf and my eye sight goes and i feel like im gonna faint so i would fall if no one was with me to help me sit down and cool me down.
if in doubt tick the yes and no box and then explain it i the box at the end thats what i did.

julieb
02-05-08, 23:06
thanks sara x

xxHonetBeexx
03-05-08, 00:07
There are so many questons, I cant seem to take anything in at the moment! x

Angel64
03-05-08, 23:36
Hi an update, felt motivated today and so spent over 3 hours filling in the DLA form.

Last night I googled 'filling in DLA form' and got loads of advice off the net.
This and the advice from people on here helped enormously. I was going to go to CAB but thought that in my own home I can take my time and come back to it to add further information when I think of it, and I would be so flustered trying to explain things to some-one else it seemed better to tackle it myself.

I still have bits to fill in, and as I finished each page I made notes of extra info I wanted to add at the end, where there is a page for further information.

A good bit of advice was to understand that the person reading it probably hasn't heard of agoraphobia or health anxiety, so rather than write 'start to panic', I have explained exactly how I feel :- I start to feel anxious, I can't consentrate, my hands shake and I feel dizzy and like I am going to faint, I feel very scared and have to leave the situation I am in and find a safe place to sit down and calm down.

Funny thing is I didnt realise how much it did disable me till I went through this excercise !!

My neighbour (whos daughter gets dla for epilepsy) has told me that you can claim for the cost towards a gardener in the summer, and her daughter can get a free travel pass for buses and trains, funny thing is she has no problems going out all weekend clubbing it and has frequent visits to Theme parks where she goes on all the rides, seems the system is so unfair !

I will give it my best shot, keep you posted.

gary_2.0
04-05-08, 00:09
My neighbour (whos daughter gets dla for epilepsy) has told me that you can claim for the cost towards a gardener in the summer, and her daughter can get a free travel pass for buses and trains, funny thing is she has no problems going out all weekend clubbing it and has frequent visits to Theme parks where she goes on all the rides, seems the system is so unfair !
- There will always be those who know how to work the system. There's a lot of money to be made out of Government 'hand-outs'. Some businesses positively thrive on them and possibly wouldn't exist otherwise.

Glad you've made progress though. Sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on things. Even when one knows what to write it can still be quite arduous.

Good luck Christine :yesyes:

Angel64
04-05-08, 11:05
Hi, I feel the problem is with me is that I look so 'normal'.

I was chatting to a lady with a walking stick yesterday and she was so shocked to realise that I had a 'disability'. I was dressed in clean clothes, hair brushed even a little lippy !! and when I explained that my car was parked across the road and I had problems on a saturday because the parking was worse than midweek and I only felt safe when parked within sight of the car, she said "but you don't look like you have a single worry in the world".

How deceptive looks can be !! She obviously was unaware of my jelly legs and my heart that was trying to jump out of my chest lol.

gary_2.0
04-05-08, 14:34
Hi, I feel the problem is with me is that I look so 'normal'.

I was chatting to a lady with a walking stick yesterday and she was so shocked to realise that I had a 'disability'. I was dressed in clean clothes, hair brushed even a little lippy !! and when I explained that my car was parked across the road and I had problems on a saturday because the parking was worse than midweek and I only felt safe when parked within sight of the car, she said "but you don't look like you have a single worry in the world".

How deceptive looks can be !! She obviously was unaware of my jelly legs and my heart that was trying to jump out of my chest lol.

Yup, that's one of the biggest misconceptions for those without personal experience of mental illness in that often it can be 'invisible'. It's as the old cliche goes, 'If I had a broken leg in plaster there would be nothing to explain'.

Like everything in life it's a question of education. Of evolution. We'll get there. Eventually.

One thing I will add on a personal note though is that I'm not really happy with this division between Metal and Phsyical ilness. After all the brain is physical mass too.

Trixie
07-05-08, 21:30
My daughter suffers from OCD, agoraphobia, social paranoia, depression and anxiety etc.

She never leaves the house, she get mobility allowance and the middle rate of the care component also she gets incapacity benefit.

She is 23 and was going to be a architect before she was taken ill.:weep: