PDA

View Full Version : trying to hold on....

andy22
19-11-03, 20:09
I am trying to keep myself together, I am currently in a high state of anxiety and can not even do a breathing technique to help calm myself down. I have been searching on the internet again and feel my smoking will ultimately bring me to an early death. It has been 1 month since I quit and I smoked for 17 years.
Every little ache or pain is causing the anxiety, I have tried to do positive thinking and can't concentrate that far. I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. PLEASE LET THIS GO AWAY, the thoughts are driving me mad.
I wish for anything, something that can get me out of this. Maybe it's not anxiety and I really have cancer.
Andy

sadie
19-11-03, 21:14
Hi andy

I used to be like you when my anxiety was at its worst. I used to feel 'why me' and that i would do anything just for all the symptoms and anxiety to stop but nothing seemed to help. I too found it difficult to stay positive and although it is difficult to control your breathing when your anxiety is constant all the time, it really is the best way to relax you. When i felt like you i used to read Claire Weeks book 'Self help for your nerves' and i found great peace with what she had to say. I would read the same pages over and over again until i calmed down. My husband has been really good in helping me relax at night by helping me with my breathing. Do you have anyone close to you that could help you at first with your breathing? You can control it on your own but maybe if you had some support at first this could help you on your way. The most important thing that I have learned over the last three years is to really understand what panic and anxiety does to your thoughts and body to stop you being frightened of it. More importantly to stay positive and to try stop any negative thoughts interfering with your happiness and wellbeing. I have put some information on here about a technique called The Emotional Freedom technique which could help you, as it helps me all the time.

Take care of yourself, things will get better for you.

sadie

Meg
19-11-03, 21:20
Time since quitting
Beneficial health changes that take place

20 minutes
Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.

8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal.

24 hours
Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body.
Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.

48 hours
There is no nicotine left in the body.
Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.

72 hours
Breathing becomes easier.
Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.

2 - 12 weeks
Circulation improves.

3 - 9 months
Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function is increased by up to 10%.

1 year
Risk of a heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker

Hi Andy,

I'd say you were doing really well at having been stopped a month already. Making that choice and actually stopping are so hard so you have already achieved a huge amount. Congratulations.

If it is too hard to keep positive for yourself today and there isn't anyone handy to help you out and doing something that takes your full attention isn't helping then do play a positivity relaxation CD and let someone else do it for you - today. You try again tomorrow.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
19-11-03, 21:46
Andy

I rely quite a lot on my partner when I am feeling panicky. All I need is someone to talk to me and all they need to say is "breathe slowly, come on, in and out"

When I am alone and panicky, I just call someone and tell them to talk to me about anything. This gets me concentrating so the panic calms down on its own.

Keep your chin up :-)

Nicola

sadie
19-11-03, 21:50
Hi Andy

I also do what Nicola does if I am alone, I phone someone for a chat and would even talk about the weather, just to take my mind off the panic. It always helps me and I'm sure it would do the same for you.

Don't worry we are all here to help!

sadie

andy22
19-11-03, 22:04
Thanks you guys for the quit response. I feel so alone and am I honestly feel too emabarasssed to seek help through my husband. I do need to find a support system, because when I discuss my fears it seems to diminish the intensity. Thank you all.

Karen72
19-11-03, 23:35
Well done for quitting. I want to quit & after reading what Meg has written makes me even more determined. I've smoked on & off for 10 years, the last 7 being constant. I gave up for two weeks in the summer so I know I can do that much, I need to have that boost to get past that stage. My cousin gave up at the weekend so that might be good cos we can help each other. Incidentally I've not smoked much in the last few days anyway so i might just as well stop as I don't enjoy it any more. You have done me a favour in a way, because I'm thinking if you can do it after 17 years then I'm sure I can too, so thank you.
I found it a great source of comfort to go onto this website & others like it & I've felt better as the days have gone by. I still have some strange thoughts but no panic attacks so do keep coming on & just get writing, we're all here to help
Karen

Meg
19-11-03, 23:49
The reasons why smoking is deemed to help with nervousness ...

Firstly, it gives you something to do with your hands and often nervous people who are fidgety are concious of this.

Secondly and most effectively, when you do that brilliant exhaling of air , it's mimicing our relaxing breathing of longer out than in breaths.

Think about it , quick drag in and long exhale out ... superb for its calming effect . Far more beneficial without the nicotine and tar though !

Those are often the only reasons people who've given up smoking return to it- to get that feeling again.

The addiction bit passes much more quickly than people think - although it is a true addiction and is very hard to initially quit.

Go Karen . We're rooting for you.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
20-11-03, 13:19
I gave up in February 2003 and feel good for it. It seems just really strange to me now that people do it. I'd say go for it - YOU DO HAVE WILLPOWER:D

nomorepanic
20-11-03, 20:48
Well done Em for giving up - do you feel better for it?

Nicola