PDA

View Full Version : too concious of breathing

caz21
31-03-05, 11:41
hi im new to this forum but desperately seeing some advice. ive been suffering from anxiety for about 3 months now after having a bad viral infection at christmas. i just seem to constantly think about my health and dwell on everything recenty i seem to be too aware of my breathing and i constantly think about it no matter how much i try to get it out of my head! for some reason i keep thinking i need to feel my chest or stomach move tro feel im still breathing! its horrible and was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this. also will it eventually go away? ive also had depersonalisation for about a month now and was just wondering if the feeling of breathing cud be related to the fact i think im not in my body?

FAN
31-03-05, 11:45
hi sorry your not feeling too good, i think we get over concerned with our breathing as it seems that is the one thing we cant get right i sometimes breath too fast/ slow hold my breath in instead of out try not focussing on the issue and it should in time wear off your not going to stop breathing so you will be fine

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
31-03-05, 12:17
hello there,

I get the breathing issue at times as well. It seems that I am never breathing 'right'. Mine comes and goes..

Sarah :D

sue447
31-03-05, 12:27
hi caz,
i am exactly the same as you, its blooming horrible, i keep thinking about my breathing aswell constantly, i hate to get out of breath aswell cause it scares me and i start to panic, sometimes it feels like i have to force myself to breathe properly, i do things to try and take mind of it, sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, the way i look at it is that i know i wont stop breathing, or if i do i wont know nothing about it lol [as my chap kindly pointed out] the breathing exercises are supposed to very good,but i havent tried them as im to scared[:I] maybe i will one day, take care luv sue x:D

vernon
31-03-05, 14:02
Hi caz, Welcome to the site, hope u will find the answers u r looking for here as I am sure u will. I get the breathing issues bad also when that goes for a while I get the other heath issues. Feeling Ill, Looking for lumps and bums and all sorts, they are very distressing and really make u feel ill. I have suffered for many years on and off and they do seem to come and go then get replaced by new symptoms. It’s very good to get to know what is happening in your body I find this helps lots. There is lots of help on the main pages of this site. There are also lots of good books on Anxiety that I found helps lots too. A very good book that I found helped me is Essential Help For Your Nerves by Claire Weeks, I read a little form the start each night before going to sleep and found this very helpful. In the past I haven’t real stuck to relaxation and breathing exercises, but last couple of months I have tried hard to do relaxation and breathing exercises morning and night, I also use positive affirmations whenever I remember this has helped to, but must be kept at regularly. I found some affirmations then printed them to cards and left them around different places so I would remember them. Like (I AM HEALTHY WELL AND HAPPY, I ACCEPT ALL MY FEELINGS AS PART OF MYSELF. I AM STRONG HEALTHY AND HAVE NO FEARS, EVERY DAY I AM GETTING BETTER BETTER BETTER,) and AN IMPORTANT ONE IS I love and appreciate myself. But the list goes on and on. Anyway hope this is of some help to you. Hope you feel better soon. Vernon.

Meg
31-03-05, 15:22
Caz,

It really helps to learn how to breathe in a calming rhythm and this is taught by yoga, meditation , tai'chi etc classes. You learn several different ways to breathe to maximise calmness.

We all continue to breathe anyway and it is a completely involuntary reflex so will happen in some regularfashion regardless of how much we worry about it. Its all regulated by the levels of Co2 and o2 in the blood but we can use techniques that optimise it.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

della
31-03-05, 17:25
hi caz

try this little breathing exercise it teaches you to control your breathing when feeling anxious.

1...sit comfotably

2...place your hands finger tips touching lightly over your belly button

3...breathe in through your nose quite deeply but not too deep

4..hold for 5 secs and release slowly through your mouth

5 repeat this and you will relax

take care dell

[:O]

cookiemonster
02-04-05, 23:30
Hi caz,

I've had that as well, around Christmastime too actually. I was very conscious of my breathing, and it felt like an effort just to breathe normally. I tried breathing exercises and while they may work for lots of people they only made me more anxious. What helped me a lot was doing word games, anagrams and crossword puzzles. They helped to get my mind off my breathing.