PDA

View Full Version : question about diazepam

louwilliams
24-04-08, 21:55
Hi,

Just a quick one

i take 2mg daiz on an "if and when needed" basis. I have bad and frequent ectopics and palpitations which have gotten worse over the last few months.

Now....everytime i get a bad bout of these, i will take a quarter or a half of one of the 2mg's...which isnt a lot. However...i read something the other day which worried me-I dont know if I got this right but basically it implied that taking the diazepam can GIVE you ectopics or make them worse. This was 3 days ago and i didnt touch them for 2 days but last night i took a half tablet and within half an hour i was having ectopics. Now i'm really confused as if i put 2+2 together i come up with 2 things-either the diazepam have been inducing the ectopics therefore i have been bringing them on by taking them OR it was pure coincidence that i had a run of them when I took that half last night. I havent took anything today and ive had about 4 runs of the ectopic beats throughout the day. I'm really p****d off now as the diaz is the only thing i feel can help me when i get panicky when i have the ectopics but now i'm terrified to take them in case they bring them on :shrug:

Do you know if they affect your heart in any way or if it is just your brain and muscles they affect. Have i got this right or wrong? ....long winded i know....sorry :blush:

Lou xxxxxxx

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

kazzie
24-04-08, 22:48
Hi Lou:D

I have 5mg Diazipam tabs on a when needed basis (28 lasts me 6 months) and I take a whole one at a time

Cant say Ive noticed any ectopics etc......just render me unable to worry

Kaz x x x:hugs:

margaret911
24-04-08, 23:00
Hi Lou
I have taken diazapan in the past and they have never given me ectopics, maybe this was just a coincidence.
love Mags xxxx

louwilliams
24-04-08, 23:26
thanks kaz and mags xx

Does anyone know the fundamental chemistry of them and what they ACTUALLY do to your body?

lou xxx

kazzie
25-04-08, 22:13
Hi Lou:D

If you read the leaflet with the pills it explains all!!!

However......

Diazipam is one of a group of medicines called benzodiazipine tranquillisers. These medicines act on brain transmitters and help in the treatment of anxiety and muscle spasms (quote from leaflet)

Hope this helps:hugs:

My gp gave me another 28 5mg pills today so cant be that bad:yesyes:

louwilliams
25-04-08, 22:26
cheers Kazz

I've been to have my ECG monitor fitted this afternoon and I kept the nurse talking for half an hour about the palpitations and ectopics lol she even called another nurse in to help with more info :yesyes: so funny-i looked completely neurotic but they re-assured me loads. they also said that it would have just been a coincedence that i had the ectopic beats after taking the diazepam (they said that the amount that i had taken i.e 1mg wouldnt even touch me) i feel better knowing that they wont "induce" the ectopics so now feel like ive still got something to fall back on if and when things get a bit too much

Lou xx

kazzie
25-04-08, 22:47
They are great for that Lou:yesyes:

My mate had one of those 24 hr thingys done a few weeks ago for same reason.......completly normal:yesyes:

louwilliams
25-04-08, 22:51
I've got this on for 2 weeks so hopefully it'll catch the buggars lol I said to the nurses I was pee'd off with only having it for 24 hours as I can't make them happen to order and she told me that I was having it for 2 weeks so i'm chuffed........thanks god something is actually happening regarding hospital tests lol took them 7 years but its finally happening lol

kazzie
25-04-08, 23:27
It will be cool Lou.......promise:D

lesleya
26-04-08, 07:09
Hi
I was on them for 15 yrs and i never had eptopics with them hun.
Hope your better soon and best of luck with the tests
xxx

decca
26-04-08, 09:47
I was not aware I was having ectopics and missed beats until I had to see the occupational health doctor through work. He said that in one of his previous jobs he did a study of ectopic beats and found that fighter pilots had them very frequently during complex sorties in other words when they were under the most amount of stress and it's because any part of the heart is able to generate a beat to enable it to cope when under pressure.
Of course after he told me I was having a few ectopics I started noticing them and feeling the normal thud when my heart picked up the normal beat, I've had several ECG's all of which were normal.
I was given Diazepam to take 2mg per day for tension that was making my heart race and pushing up my BP and I can honestly say that it's had a very calming effect on my heart and I havn't noticed any ectopics for several weeks now.
Hope this helps.
Decca