PDA

View Full Version : Sending myself off on another bout of horrible worry

Whiskers
25-04-08, 17:00
Hi all,

Sorry to post again so soon - I posted the other day about being scared of having rabies as got bitten by a cat on a Greek island in September and know a lot of the symptoms are ones that are similar to anxiety. I have a prickling pain at the place where I got bitten (at the tip of my finger) and everytime I brush it against something it hurts and sends me ionto a spiral of panic. That came on on Tues. I have vibrations in my foot and legs and some arm pains. I also have that horrible heart / chest anxiety feeling all the time which is driving me crazy. I went to the docs on Wed and she told me not to worry - it would not be rabies as I went to the doc after I was bitten and they said 'no risk'. I just can't stop thinking about it though as I know it can come out up to a year after you are bitten. I am having heart palpitations while I write this and cannot concentrate on anything else at all. I don't know what to do. My sister and her boyfriend are coming to visit me tonight for the weekend and I cannot feel excited as am just so worried. I am worried about not being able to engage with them and me my normal self as am so worked up. I am sending my boyfriend up the wall...

Any support / reassurance greatly appreciated...

Sharon x

bluebell68
25-04-08, 17:36
Hi Sharon... i can totally understand your feelings of anxiety... but i am absolutely sure that your symptoms have more to do with your panic than anything more serious....i have genuine aches and pains that come and go with my anxiety, and i really do feel them.... although it is usually a random and totally normal pain or sensation that sends me into a spiral, and the more i focus my mind on the symptom, the stronger the feelings/pain gets... of course this in turn confirms my fears and its a downward spiral of panic, terror and pain .:scared15: .... i honestly believe the key is to try and reduce the anxiety... and the pain that you are feeling will reduce too.... i don't know if you are taking any medication for your anxiety or have tried any relaxation hypnotheraphy treatments but i have found both to be helpful to me......when i am anxious i do get a lot of aches and pains and pins and needles too, i think that this has something to do with the adrenalin...... and when i feel ok, i don't notice them or at least i feel them but they don't scare me.....
i have family visiting too this weekend and like you i am worried that my anxiety is gonna show and spoil things for everyone but in the past this sort of distraction has been helpful to me and i hope that it will be for you too... anxiety is a big bully... it frightens the life out of us and tries to trick us into believing that our worst fears are gonna become a reality but don't trust it, it lies and like most bullies if we refuse to be scared it looses all power over us... Sorry i do go on sometimes but i would hate for anxiety to rob you of a fun weekend with your sister.. i totally agree with your doc, you are gonna be just fine...i know it.......
Kick anxiety's butt :blush: !!!!! lol
let me know how your weekend went, ill be thinking of you
Hugs :bighug1:
Rach

Whiskers
25-04-08, 18:34
Thanks for such a lovely post Rach. I am really gong to try and focus on the positive thoughts and try to overcome it this weekend. Such a shame positive thoughts don't spiral as easily as negative ones! Going to rise to the challenge though!

Have a great time with your family this weekend!

Sharon xx:)