PDA

View Full Version : citalopram not working anymore - please help

mandie
26-04-08, 08:35
Hi

After seeing the dr yesterday he agreed that citaloram is no longing workin for me. Since going on them in january i have been been worse with more anxiety and panic attacks, whereas when i took them on and off for past few years i found them great. I was only ever on 10mg but about 6 weeks ago they were increased to 20mg but after 2 weeks went down to 15mg cause they were making me feel terrible.

After taking 15mg i still was getting increased anxiety and panic so last week i went down to 10mg.

I went back to dr yesterday after having another bad panic attack at work. He agreed i could come off them but wants me to try another med sertraline.

When i came home last night i just couldnt bring myself to take them. Im scared of them making me worse, scared they could bring on more attacks etc. I know they could work for me but im scared to try. I know if i take one i will then think bad things of them and then give myself a panic attack.

So i cut my 10mg into half and took that. Do u think that was a silly thing to do? I want to come off citalopram and try and manage without meds and see how i go

Sorry to go on, its just iv been feeling so bad later, i just dont no what to do for the best.

love mandie x

smudgie
26-04-08, 09:36
Hi Mandie

Im sorry your in this position with drugs , you need something but cant work out whats best for you.
our bodies are all different and what works for one may not work for another.

Citalopram is a classic drug that most doctors give out, it is a good one.
Im on 40mg a day and it works for me.

What I will say is be very careful if you want to stop them, do it very slowely because of the side effects .

As for taking others drugs like the sertraline you need to think whats best for you, Im sure you would like your attacks to lesson or even stop, perhaps your dr right and try it. sometimes it can take a while to find the right drug for you before one starts to work.

When taking some of these drugs it can cause your systoms to become more strong but after its got into your systom it goes away. It can take up to 2 months before you start to feel the benefits.

I hope Ive said something encouraging and helped a little. I wish you well.

Keep in touch
Smudgie

milly jones
26-04-08, 09:42
i've just come off lofepramine to citalopram. feeling a bit better after 3 week swop over, keep in close touch with gp and follow their advice. chat on here as were all in the same boat, just on different journeys.

Love milly x

mandie
26-04-08, 14:21
Hi

Thank u both for yr replies. I still dont no what to do

I feel to scared to start another tablet in case i end up with worse anxiety than iv already got.

love mandie x

smudgie
26-04-08, 14:29
Hi Mandie

Arent you making the anxiety worse by thinking about what to do. You see this is our problem we think too much about what could happen for the worse and think about it in a positive way.
The new drug may give you a few probs in the beginning but what if it works for you in the long term.

I dont mean to be harsh, I to are like you afraid but I want to be better.

Why not try and give it ago.
Take care of you and let us know what you are doing so we can help you
Smudgie

mandie
26-04-08, 21:06
i no wot u mean smudgie, i wish i could be that kind of person.

I practically gave my self a panic attack today cause i got stuck in lots of traffic and thought wot if i had a panic attack now, wot would i do. This started one off but i managed to control it.

I have decided to cut my meds down to 5mg instead of the 10mg and come off slowly.

I am starting my cbt in 2 weeks time so hopefuly that will help me lots

love mandie x

H22
27-04-08, 01:20
Citalopram made my anxiety so much worse too, and i felt aweful side effects, i tappered off mine and have now been put on prozac, which im only taking because ive been told the hospital who is helping me won't help unless i take them.
But if you feel you can do it without meds then try it, see how you get along, just remember every medication is different, so dont give up hope just because one didnt work

xxx