PDA

View Full Version : New mom, new member, suffering panic attacks again

Kristen
26-04-08, 11:05
Hi everyone, please help me if you can. I started suffering from serious panic attacks 3 years ago after we accidentally hit a guy on a bike with our car. We live in Beijing China and the traffic and sheer number of people make it very crazy driving around here.
Anyway, I think this triggered a PTSD reaction which led to frequent and horrible panic-trembling, extreme fear of the future, of dying, of life, of getting old, just mainly fear with cold tingles in my hands and lower back. Not too much depression at all but they were terrifying when they happened. I talked to a doctor, she put me on 50 mgs of Zoloft and the panic completely went away. I was happy and normal again and didn't get scared every time I saw a newspaper or watched the news. The main feeling I had was of desolation and pointlessness. I wasn't suicidal but I didn't want to live. I hate even thinking about how awful it felt. When the medication started working right away, I was so grateful and relieved. I stayed on Zoloft until I was 14 weeks pregnant with my son and then I tapered myself off it for about 2 or 3 weeks by reducing the dosage and then taking it every other day. I had no problem until my son was 6 weeks old and they came back with a vengance. I went back on 25 mg of zoloft, that worked for about two weeks and the panic came back so my doc upped my dose to 50 mg. I've been perfectly fine on that dosage until about 5 days ago. My son is now 9 months old so I haven't had a panic attack since he was 2 months old. Suddenly, I'm freaking out again and I think this time I have some depression. I'm so tired and just want to sleep, I'm nauseous and vomiting, I get these horrible shivers like I'm really cold and they turn into almost like convulsions and I can't stop them, I don't want to leave the house, can't cope with my baby, can't sleep because I start thinking and then I panic. It's a vicious circle and I'm so sick of it. Why is the zoloft suddenly not working? Is this a common occurance with these medications? what direction should i go in? I can't cope with thinking that I will feel like this forever and this is what my future has in store for me. Please help me with advice if you have any. Would a higher dose of zoloft help? Thanks

marie1974
26-04-08, 12:43
hi and welcome you will get loads of help and support here. cognitive behaviour therapy is great for anxietys and i am having it they teach you a different way of thinking, pills are ok but i believe too keeping busy, i walk loads every day keeps me positive and motivated and takes away lots of anxiety. brisk walking for mayb half hour a day build up to an hour get all yr thoughts out whilst walking then when u get back u feel much better and more positive. also in doors i am busy with kids, housework and at nights when its quiet and i need to sleep i read it always makes me tired quickly. i hope this has helped a little xx

Lindalou64
26-04-08, 14:19
Hello Kristen And Welcome .i Think You Should Talk To Your Pc First....sometimes After Having A Baby Our Hormones Play A Major Part Of Anxietys....im Not A Doc So I Cant Say.. I Know It Did For Me Tho....i Agree W/donna With The Walks Ect.i Do Wish Ya Well You Will Get Lots Of Support Here............linda

smudgie
26-04-08, 14:24
Hi Kristen and a big warm :welcome: to the forum, Im so sorry your going through a hard time.
You seen to have alot going on at once PTSD and depression after having a baby can be a hard combination to deal with, your hormones will be all over the place and PTSD will not go away unless treated properly.

Im sorry I dont have the answers but Im sure you will get better help from others here than me.
I wish you well

Take care of you
Smudgie

Joe1981
26-04-08, 18:08
Hi there! :welcome: to the site! :yesyes:

chalky
26-04-08, 18:29
Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lilith1980
26-04-08, 18:45
Hi Kristen

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Kristen
27-04-08, 01:49
Wow, thanks for all the responses and support. I woke up this morning feeling better already, just writing it down on my post helped I think. Sometimes when i talk about what scares me, it makes me panic and the fear of having a panic attack keeps me from talking about it. I also try to not panic when I'm starting to have one and this seems to make it "build up" inside me and makes it worse. I think finding someone professional to talk to will help me a lot.
Thanks for your help and support.

Kristen

kellie
27-04-08, 09:44
hiya Kristen :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :biggrin: . you will get lots of support/advice from all the great members and make some great friends alomg the way. dont forget to visit the chat room where you can talk to us all about things or if you just fancy a chat and a giggle.
bestwishes
take care.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: .

kellie .xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thevoicewithinme
28-04-08, 10:20
Hello and welcome to NMP.

You will find lots of useful information and advice here and will also meet lots of new people who truly understand you.

Kaz

trac67
30-04-08, 10:19
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Nibbles
01-05-08, 17:41
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :smile: