PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone another new member

ruth
19-11-03, 22:19
Hi all my name is ruth i am 38 yrs old and have been struggling for the past year with panic attacks/disorder. I am taking seroxat at the moment it has helped I am trying to reduce it having had almost 6 months. But today I experienced a horrible fainting feeling whilst driving the car!! Similar to the fainting attacks I had when I started I hope lots of you can give me some of your experiences and ways of dealing with this stuff

nomorepanic
19-11-03, 22:26
Hi ruth - welcome to the site. You are very welcome here and you will find so much advice and support :-)

You can use the search engine at the top of the site as I know there are some posts on feeling faint. Enter that as a search word and read through some of the posts.

Please post any queries you may have :-)

Nicola

ruth
19-11-03, 22:40
Dear Nicola many thanks for your words of reassurance and yes I have read some of the other posts it is good to know your not the only one with these horrible symptoms it can be very daunting sometimes

nomorepanic
19-11-03, 22:48
Ruth

yes it can. If you have any specific questions then ask away and I will try an find the posts for you as there are so many.

Where do you live?

Nicola

ruth
20-11-03, 15:30
Nicola hi again I live in Reading which is in Berkshire any info down here would be of great help many thanks

Ruth

Meg
20-11-03, 17:31
Hi Ruth,

Welcome to the site,glad you've had a good hunt about already

Do you know what caused your panics in the first place ?

During the last 6 months have you managed to change much so that when you come off the meds completely life will be easier for you and history won't repeat itself ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

ruth
20-11-03, 21:42
Dear Meg
I have no idea what caused the panic attacks, they started out of the blue, in fact I was at work when the first one happened, i rushed to the loo,looked in the mirror expecting to have changed to a ghostly white! or even grey, i was also getting terrible palpitations around this time, investigations showed nothing, including thyroid tests etc.
My gp asked me the same thing, but if i knew the answer i would have made a fortune by now,that's what i find so frustrating the no reason for them, my theory is low levels of serotonin that just happen,when people seek help from gp's they never test for this chemical in your blood it would be interesting to see if this shows this problem.
As far as life style changes go is a good point my schedule like the rest of us is hectic although my vice is working out, we all need time out for ourselves. I am cautious about coming off meds in case it all happens again! But that's where one has to stop and re train our thought process hey! But this is the tricky bit!!

nomorepanic
20-11-03, 22:23
quote:Originally posted by ruth

Nicola hi again I live in Reading which is in Berkshire any info down here would be of great help many thanks

Ruth

Hi, I lived in Bracknell for 14 months so I know Reading.

What sort of thing can I help you with ?

Nicola

Meg
20-11-03, 23:03
Hi Ruth,

Only a few peoples panic attacks actually start from a physical trigger or purely a low seratonin with no reason at all . Most start from some thought process that's been nagging away.

Eg mine started when I switched from doing loads of motorway driving to lots of
A roads - 300 miles a day. It suddenly occurred to me one dark morning at 05:30 that any of these cars sat in the laybys with presumably asleep people in them could actually be dead or comatose people and noone would know as the police don't routinely cruise by them as they do on motorways.

I pondered on this for a few days and then suddenly decided it could be me any day now and I could be 'lost' for days . Utter toss, but it made complete sense to me then.

I actually had my panic attack whilst standing in a queue waiting to get some notes from the receptionist in the middle of the day but it was still on my mind.. Go figure.. just think about what was going on with you internally at that time for a few minutes.

At the time I was doing 15 hour days and was exhausted and very drained too- an additional reason it all went wrong.

That was a long time ago and am now back to who I was before all that happened. Hurrah ...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
20-11-03, 23:53
Hi Ruth

I dont think you can look for serotonin in the blood as it is only stored in the synapses in the brain. Do you want your doctor to go in there![:0]

nomorepanic
21-11-03, 22:17
Meg

I never knew you had those thoughts about driving - weird how we all work/think isn't it? I prefer A roads to motorways but I never passed a thought for those sleeping drivers - lol

Nicola

ruth
22-11-03, 16:49
Twister

I got the idea of where you are coming from re the synapses of the brain, I guess you must be right, the stuff does'nt ooze out into our blood, but I often wonder what strange things go on in there, and no I don't want my gp to go there goodness knows what he may find!!!

stephen
12-12-03, 21:33
hi ruth we "met" in the chat room last night this "panic!"stuff is really scary but,as a newbie myself you,ve hit on a great site ,i promise .i dont think theres any "fakers" here .everyone seems so helpful ,and upbeat .so welcome aboard !