PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... Life changing dilemma... :-(

Oceana9518
27-04-08, 08:58
Right, thanks for looking at this post... i have a wee bit of a dilemma... advice of any kind is much appreciated...

Right...

I currently work in a call centre, just started there about a month ago.. its not where i wanna be in so many years time. The money is ok as i have a chance to do as much overtime as i want...I take calls every day from people. Its fine but im 20 and i want to start making something of my life.. but my anxiety is holding me back...

I went for a interview yesterday for this job where id be working with proffesionals on an everyday basis. I would be front of house with someone else and i would do admin, answer calls, show buisness people around the building. Money is ok... but i have chance to work my way up.. The interview went well and the Lady told me that she doesnt usually tell people on the same day if theyve gotten through to second and final interview... she told me i was successful and she really liked me. I know what your thinking ... "She hasnt even got the job yet so why is she worrying?" Id rather know what i was gonna do now and have time to think it through as oppose to being put on the spot. My anxiety is holding me back, im scared im gonna pass out, or be sick or ill at work and unable to get home for whatever reason.. In my current call centre role i can get up and go to loo if im feeling funny and no one notices. In this new job i will be under pressure and on front of house so image is important i cant be dashing off to the toilet every 10 minutes. I have to be proffessional.. So? What do i do guys?

Do i :

A - Stay with current job where my anxiety levels are getting better but the job itself is not what i truly desire. Im "in my comfort zone" and possibly work my way up but theres a lady whos been there 7 years and shes only just worked her way up. The job is easy work easy money. The hours are wierd 12-8 one week 8-4 the next but im with lots of friendly people everyday who cheer me up and make me feel relaxed.

OR

B- If i get this job my anxiety will be sky high for some time i will want to run home and hide but i wont be able to but the career prospects for me will be immense. And i can start saving to get me and my partners place together. Id feel "Proud" telling people what i do as it sounds v posh aparently :P the hours will be 9-5.30 I will be with people who will be polite and friendly but there will always be that profesional boundry..

Im currently on Citalopram and am reading clare weekes book.. Also i was told by a clarvoyant that i would be in a job but i wouldnt enjoy it, i would be offered another job in which i would thouroghly enjoy.. ( now this may be bullpoo or it may be real... im not sure so im going to see her again)

Thanks for the time reading this and if you want to ask any questions then feel free .... Many thanks guys... Love to you all xxxxx:hugs:

Jaco45er
27-04-08, 09:11
Hi Young Lady

You got to go for it I'm afraid. The hard truth is (seat belt on) that to overcome anxiety and progress, you have to leave the comfort zone and expose yourself to the very things that give you anxiety, as I am sure you have read in Mrs Weekes book.

Don't be worrying about all these "new professional" people. Trust me, once you are there, you will find that they are as human as you. I worked for a London IT company (that's IT, not a trendy it company) once as a pre-sales consultant working on deals and tender bids with others, and trust me, the suits are no different than anyone else ;).

I always looked at situations like this as a journey, and I would become a passenger, just going with the flow.

Saying that, if you can stay in your current job and not think, "mmmm wish I had gone for that job now" then stay where you are. But, if this will eat away at you? well you know what to do.

Good luck either way :)

Jaco

pooh
27-04-08, 09:56
Hi! Oceana!

I'm with Jaco on this one....you have to go for it. I start a new job in three weeks. I am currently on prozac and diazepam for depression and anxiety, scared yet excited at the same time. It's more hours, a whole set of new people to develop relationships with. I'm a support worker Oceana, and those relationships take hard work and a tremendous amount of focus, particularly when you work with people who are potentially violent, whose health and well being are totally dependent on how well i do my job. How's that for pressure? lol
However....I could spend whole hours, days and weeks saying 'WHat if", and in all honesty, I have. BUT....its more money (a lot more money, it has better opportunities for promotion, and the organisation I'm moving to appears far more professional than the one I work for now).

Who know's Oceana, you may just very well end up doing a job you love that doesnt require you to take a trip to the loo.

Go for it!!!!

Lynne xx

SueBee
27-04-08, 10:06
Oceana, have you thought that your anxiety levels are so high in your current job might be because you're bored and its not keeping your brain active enough? You never know, you might enjoy your next job so much you wont have time to "think"!

Go for it!

decca
27-04-08, 10:24
Hi Oceana.
I think you should go for it ,my therapyst told me that all of us anx. sufferers have very active minds and boredom is a large part of our problems, I know that I've always benefited from a challenge and I think you will to.
Good luck.
Decca.

Franz
27-04-08, 10:45
I agree with the others - your reservations sound like your anxiety speaking.

I felt the same way after being offered my current job - "Am I up to it? It all sounds quite stressful. I'm not sure I'll fit in." etc. And although there were some rocky times, things have turned out pretty well.

As for visiting a clairvoyant - personally I would never do that! The mere possibility that a clairvoyant might be right would do my head in. I see enough "omens" as it is!

Francis

erialc
27-04-08, 12:22
Oceana,

You have to go for it, you are young and you dont wanna look back and think oh what if I had taken that job.
Go for it..... and give it a whirl, if you dont like it you can always find something else.

I have worked with professional people they are no different to anyone else, they are afterall only human (they just sometimes think they are superior :whistles:)

Good Luck and as for the anx, I am sure once you are there and settled in you will be ok :)

I have worked in a call centre (many moons ago) and although it is freindly and fun I didn't see it going anywhere. I moved on and have done all sorts since from a Manager in a bank to now dealing with sending people to court who dont pay (Much more satisfying lol)

tc and Hope all goes well

Claire xxxx