PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic friends

cheeky monkey
27-04-08, 15:48
Hi
Is there anyone who has diabeties who would like to chat. I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 20 years, it has been hard as it is not well controlled due to other medical problems. It would be nice to chat to other diabetics who understand the problems we can get, I have retinopathy and neropathy. I have recently been put on two different insulins with hope to getting some control, and also metiformin. though not sure what these tabs are suppose to do?
Some days if my sugars are either high or low it makes my depression worse, I'm getting high sugars well into the 20's.
Anyway would really like to make some diabetic pals.
take care
susie :hugs:

london
27-04-08, 16:26
i got type 2 iam not on mebs for it , but i find eating right dos a lot of good

cheeky monkey
02-05-08, 21:15
Hi London
Thanks for replying, I try and watch what I eat, but sometimes I get real bad sugar cravings.
Do you count carbs, I've been told that by counting these it helps to control your blood sugar. but not sure how to do this.
hope you are well
take care
susie:hugs:

kazzie
02-05-08, 22:32
Hi Susie:D

Im type 2 diabetic.....mine went undiagnosed for years despite me going to the doc with thirst , boils ,numb toes etc:blush:

I now have diabetic neuropathy so bad I get top whack DLA for mobility and bottom rate for care

If i have to go any distance im in a wheelchair and I hate it!!!!

Its pants eh:shrug:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

cheeky monkey
04-05-08, 14:40
Hi Kazzie
yep it is horrid, I use a stick for walking, but if i'm shopping I use the shopmobility, everyone gets out of my way on that, lol. I'm on tablets for it which helps abit.
anyway take care
susie
xxx:hugs:

MissChampers
06-05-08, 14:02
Hi Cheeky..I don't have diabetes but my 12 year old son has had type 1 since he was 3 so I know what you're going through. He has 4 injections a day of Novorapid and Levemir and his sugar levels are very erratic at the moment. He copes well with it but gets down sometimes when he can't go stay at friends houses or go on school trips because I can't expect other people to take on the huge responsibility if anything should happen to him. He also receives middle rate DLA and gosh those forms are a nightmare to fill in! Luckily it's only every few years but they take forever.

lesleya
06-05-08, 21:20
Hi
Im a diabetic as well type 2 on metformin 500mg tablets. Im more or less well controlled. I started off on 6 metformin and now im on 1 a day. I lost 9 stone at one point so that definitely helped. I still get choccy cravings, but try to steer clear of choccy unles im having a low-sugar.
Pm me anytime.
Lesley

cheeky monkey
22-05-08, 16:51
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the replies, my diabeties is getting me down at the moment, its hard controlling my sugars, which is making me feel yuk, I'm also having trouble sleeping and going to the loo during the nite.
I've got a hiatus hernia which is playing up alot at the min so I was wondering if this could effect my sugar levels.
At the min I feel tired, which then is effecting my depression.
Would love to chat to someone who understands.
thanks for listerning
susie

leo05
24-05-08, 02:20
hi hun,
i know that you are finding things hard right now but we will get ya bk on track and i think bc of ya probs yes they all could paly a part in ya feeling low

hugs n love

lea xxxxxxxxx

oh just a thought maybe do a post in another section

aisha89
16-07-08, 22:58
hi every one my name is aisha am 19 yrs old am diabetic 4 more dan 3 yrs now u can contatt me at aishatu.erhabor@yahoo.it

leo05
17-07-08, 02:12
hi aisha89,
i will pass on your email to cheeky monkey asap for you as she aint bn online due to bn unwell but i will add you to her msn or yahoo im

meanwhile feel free to pm me or her and i will pass any mes on for you

hugs

lea

Spiritual Butterfly
24-07-08, 01:28
Hello Susie,

I have Diabetes type 1 as well as all my other health problems. I've had mine since 2001. Mine too is badly controlled & it does get me down. At the moment every friday Iam at the hospital in the Diabetic Centre with the Nurse who is really lovely & doing her best to help me & guide me. Iam taking 3ml 5 cartridges Humalog Mix 25 100U/ml. I have to inject twice a day. We are between the devil & the deep blue sea. I have realised only recently that since these latest hospital visits I was badly guided & that now Iam understanding this awful illness after 7 years what has taken so long. For starters I was paranoid about having a hypo in bed & dying or going into coma so if my sugars were single figures before bed even if it was above 7-8 I would eat something bad move. This was why it was so high in the morning. I have really had to train my brain to test my sugars before going to bed no matter how late. Now if its 4 or below I have my Lucozade/Dextrose tablets just to raise it safely. If its 6 & above I should be alright. The funny thing is Iam still paranoid that it will still drop so my sleep is unsettled typical!! To help you gain better control if you have a Diabetic Centre at your local hospital you use to be able to walk in & see someone almost straight away. You may need to make an appointment now. Talk to them on how you are feeling, the best advice I can offer you is test your sugars more often 4-6 times a day if necessary. Dont eat before bed unless your sugars need it . I absolutely loved chocolate especially Galaxy, its not fair that we can't eat it but whats worse losing a limb, going blind failing liver/kidney going on Dialysis. Its cruel it stinks I know, I've cried about it too. I suffer with terrible boils on my legs & thighs. I have a chemical body scrub to keep them clean & help them to heal. I get cracked heals on my feet too, the list is endless there are sugar free choccy's they are alright but not as nice & they have a laxative effect if over eaten. Porridge is a good breakfast option as sugar release is a lot slower, Banana's are good for energy Patassium, orange vitamin C obviously also in moderation. Vegetables you need to eat plenty of greens,sweetcorn,carrots. If you cook for yourself try frying in sunflower oil a pork chop, drain it well on kitchen paper or a lamb chop with greens & potatoes. I know its not chips & its boring but trust me it will help. Fish is another option, oily fish is best like Mackeral, or Salmon & Trout. If you need any tips on how to cook them then send me an email. If you have a healthier diet it should start to improve in time. It wont solve everything but we will give it a damm good try. I hope that this will help to lift your spirits. I totally understand & you can have a mate in me.

Take care,

Lynn xx

largetony
29-09-08, 16:23
Hi to all who posted and want a buddy with diabetis.
I also have type2 diabetis and it really sucks.
I dont get out much because of this and other disabilities related to diabetis,so when i do manage to get out i rely on my disability scooter.So anyone who would like to add me to messenger my addy is bigtony_1947@hotmail.co.uk
Also diabetis can sometimes make me feel very low and miserable,so having new friends to chat with can make such a difference to us all.Once i start chatting u cant shut me up lol.
God Bless and take care
Love Tony:bighug1: