PDA

View Full Version : First step...I did it !

tattybear
01-04-05, 18:33
Hi guys

Some of you may know ive been suffering with depression / panic attacks/ anxiety icd etc!!!

Well ive had a real good couple of days as my boyf has been working from home so it gave us a chnace to spend some time together which was great...just doing garden and stuff together..i prob sound sad but as im finding it hard to go places, ive started to apprecite littel things like this and its made a change and has def brightened my mood!

And today I also made myself go into a shop :D
Im so proud of myself for doing it! I wanted to pop to a shop last week but my boyf just said hed go to our local supermarket to save me going in, but I felt like i needed to do it, so today when we needed to get some stuff for our garden, instead of going to out local diy/garden centre as its quite big and freakes me out, we decided to drive about 10 mins from ours to another local (fairly big) center. I got panicy but made myself go in...and i checked when we wnet in so i knew where the exit was....and most of what we were looking at was outside so that also helped.

Im glad I did it...although i felt panicy and as though i was going to pass out, im so proud of myself for going in, even tho it was only for just over 5mins....

Sorry to ramble on!! Just wanted to let you guys know that I did it and it was ok...although i know it hasnt cured my anxiety, small steps like this can only help....and it was lovely as my boyf held my hand all the way through and said how proud he was of me.and i am of myself too :D

Tatty B xx

FAN
01-04-05, 18:36
brilliant news:D

glad you feel proud of doing it im sure the more you do it the easier it will get for you

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

tattybear
01-04-05, 18:42
Hi Fan,

Thats what Im hoping.

I still have such a horrible feeling when going in anywhere like today, like im going to pass out...but Im glad i did today as I can look back and realise nothing bad happened !

But I wont let it beat me...I want to be the person who I was before so I wanna kick my anxiety into touch and teach it whoes boss!! [:P]

Tatty B xx

carlin
01-04-05, 18:43
Hi there and well done - it's not at all sad to do gardening etc. especially on days when it's either difficult or impossible to get out, i often do it, it's a distraction, good exercise and enjoyable, and how proud you should be on going to the shops and staying in the shop, even when you felt bad, well done you, take it easy and lets hope for some good weather so we can enjoy our gardens! xxxx

caz21
01-04-05, 18:44
hi

thats good its all about taking time and gradual steps. i too have been suffering from anxiety/panic and been stuck in house for months. before this i was so active! anyway i too have become proud in the small slighest thing i can do. and if u build on thinkin u did it this time and u were ok this is a good steping stone to go on!
x

tattybear
01-04-05, 18:45
Thanks Carlin.....

I must admit ive never taken an iterest in our garden before...but i really enjoyed it!

Im hoping the weather will last so I can continue it as its somting i enjoy and gets me out of the house :)

Tatty B xx

seh1980
01-04-05, 18:47
Well done Tatty B - you are definitely on the road to recovery!! :D

tattybear
01-04-05, 18:52
Thanks sarah and caz :D

Im kinds of think that as ive had a good few days i normally have a come down afterwards...but im trying not to think that that and them maybe I wont be so bad!

Tatty B xx

kairen
01-04-05, 18:52
oh well done tatty b.

it great when you achieve something isnt it, one step at a time and you will be fine, i bet u were glowing all night with pride LOL its good your boyfriend is letting you try mind he seems very understanding any way well done again keep it up LOL xx

kairen x

tattybear
01-04-05, 18:56
Hi Kairen

He is so understanding and such a saint for putting up with me!!! Lol

I think he deserves a medal for coping so well as I know it must be so hard for him to understand somtimes but he tries his hardest and I couldnt ask for any more :D

Tatty B xx

nomorepanic
01-04-05, 19:10
Tatty

What great progress and a big Well Done to you :)

You managed to stay even though it was hard at times but that is the only way you will completely get over it and you stuck at it.

Bet you are chuffed! I hope you bought yourself a little treat as a reward ;)

Nicola

Tracy68
01-04-05, 20:01
Hi Tatty
A big WELL DONE to you, you must be feeling pretty proud right now. Keep it up you're doing great.
Take care
Tracy
x

tracyp584
01-04-05, 20:13
Hey Tatty,

WELL DONE! I am so proud of you, i know how much it took for you to go shopping. You are on your way to recovery!![^].

Bluewater here you come;).

tracy x x

sal
01-04-05, 21:27
Hi Tatty

Well done you for pushing yourself and however hard you got through it. Pleased your boyfriend let you try after how he was before. Sounds like you have both seen how you both feel and things can only get better from here on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Meg
01-04-05, 21:54
Tatty

Well done

Its good to be more appreciative of the small things in life and when you're anxious and afraid being out with nature is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
Especially now with lambs and daffodils around - very uplifting.

Its so grounding and you realize that life continues .

I'm sure you know that this weekend you need to go back to that same garden centre again and have another bit of time there, continually telling yourself how well you did last time .... and see how you feel this time.

You are doing the right things- keep going

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

bubbles
01-04-05, 23:32
Great news. Well done on what you have achieved today,
you can slowly build on this. Good to hear that your
boyfriend understood & supported you.

It's good to 'do' gardening (one of my saner hobbies),
very calming in itself, keeps your mind away from the anxiety, & gives you something to be proud of.

Keep up the good work!

Linda.x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

della
01-04-05, 23:53
WELL DONE [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

your right to be proud of yourself...i remember how difficult doing something on your own was..keep up the ggod work

take care

Karen
02-04-05, 00:04
Well done Tatty. You are doing so well.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

angieb
02-04-05, 10:33
Hi Tatty

Your anxiety sounds simlar to mine, I more or less became housebound when it arrived about seven weeks ago.

Well done on getting out, it is so scary when you first try. I battle to drop my five year old to schoool and shops were a big no no. I am now shopping OK in company, can even manage the local superstore.

A couple of things that helped me were firstly, when shopping with my hubby i'd start of holding his hand then ask him to go to the next isle on his own and I would meet him there. This worked well and now even in our massive Asda he can now take the kids off to look at dvd's clothes etc whilst I shop for grocerys.

Secondly the doing it on my own bit [:O] - I have two techniques here, firstly I wote some flash cards, got some blank postcards and wrote some positive thoughts on each like, you are OK just uncomfortable it will pass, and breathe in for 1, 2, 3, 4 and out 1,2,3,4 etc etc. Then I push myself to just where I am comfortable so for instance I know I don't mind driving so I will drive to the post office and say to myself "OK, we are here are you comfortable Ange with reading the cards in the window, once doing this I say "do you fancy going in, usually 9.5 times out of ten I do and am OK.

You have made the first huge step, try to do a little something everyday and before you know it it will start to happen naturally again.

Take care of yourself and give yourself a big hug.

Angie

tattybear
03-04-05, 09:46
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your kind words and Angie the ways youve coped with it sound great and I mite give it a try.

Ive had such a great couple of days buit am feeling down because of it now! But I thinki its cos Im just very tured.

After friday and going to the garden shop I was so pleased with myself so I was determined on sat to go somwhere as my sis and her kids are down at the moment so i went to my parents on sat as they were all there and they wanted to go to the seaside near to us...but I was a bit apprehensive.......But i did it!

I didnt go to the arcades as I wanted to just be outside so my mum and my neice went for a long wlak along the beach , had ice creams and even paddled! we walked about 10 / 15 mins away from the car and were there for over an hour. I felt so great to be outside end enjoying myself! And on the way back I even when into our local shop woth my sister as I felt like I could do it.

I really feel like these last few days have been such a break through, but i def do feel a lot more down this morning as i think im very tired!

My sister goes back today which im prob bit down about too as we have so much fun. Her kids are still of school and ther'yr coming back agian for the day next sunday, My boyf has suggested to me that I should go back with them today and have a week at there for a break but im unsure. I dont want to put on them and feel guilty about leaving my boys even tho he said hed be fine and thinks it will do me good.....any suggestions anyone?

Tatty B xx

Astrid
03-04-05, 13:04
All I can say is two words: WELL DONE!It's amazing how small steps can go so far and mak eyou feel great! I remember when I did my "first steps" I was panicking the whole way but after I didn't panic the whole day since I was so pround of myself ! :) You've done the first step t recovery and I also thinl it's one of the hardest-now it's just a small hill to go up with amybe some set-backs on the way but it's all still upill! :) great one - and well done to your boyfriend! he sounds wonderful heping you on your way to recovery! :)

zena
05-04-05, 13:58
Well done both of you.
I remember shopping at Sainsburys when my phobia was real bad....hated it and everyone who made me do it!!
Always had to go out when we reached where the meat was....don't know why.

With little steps though and great encouragement I can now go in on my own and do a weekly shop.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

WELL DONE.

with good wishes

Zena

Roma
05-04-05, 15:05
Well done Tatty and you have every right to be proud of yourself.

You are so lucky to have an understanding boyfriend to offer support, I hope he knows how much it helps.

Good luck on your future trips out.

Roma

tattybear
11-04-05, 11:12
Hi Guys

Im back!

Had my week away at my sisters and it was fantastic!

Was great wking up to a full house and had fun nearly all the time! One day I even managed to go to a small shoppin centre and just go to one shop for a while before i had to get out...then i also went a a chemist that day & a video shop...although i felt like i was gonna pass out i made myself do it!

It was also my nephews christenin yesterday and i was godparent so i was soo scared...byut i got through the whole service without having to sit down or go out...i managed to conrol it.

I know i still have a long way to go, and im feeling a bit down at the mo as its the first time ive woken to an empty house as my bouf is at work,.,..but each little step is helping and im so proud of myslf.

Tatty B xx

Karen
11-04-05, 13:35
Hi Tatty B

Well done. You've had a lot of achievements in the last week and are making great progress.

Keep at it. You will get there.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

tattybear
12-04-05, 13:27
Thanks Karen!

I feel so much more positive from my wek away, it realy has dome me the world of good.

Im actually going for a drink with w few frineds this evening which im a bit anxious about, but ive explained to them im better if im outside, so we're going to a small local one with a garden so we're able to sit outside and if i dont like it its only a few moments drive to my house. Im anxious but also klooking forward to it[8D]

Tatty B xx

Meg
12-04-05, 14:51
Have a lovely springs evening out with friends.

Enjoy yourself.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...