PDA

View Full Version : Help - very worried about MS

veebee
29-04-08, 12:54
Hi, just looking for some feedback and (hopefully) some reassurance. I am new to this and I am so worried about having MS and feel that my life has just stopped dead. Apologies that this is such a long post but so much has been happening.

Last November, after dummy fighting with my partner (where he grabbed me by the arm), I noticed my left arm felt a bit sore – just at the upper arm (there was a little dark bruise on it), almost like a tight band round the arm. My left hand also didn’t feel right – not sore, but a bit numb and ‘fizzy’. I also noticed that when I was using the laptop at home (the kind that has one of those internal mouse things) the fingers on my right hand would get a bit crampy and stiff. (I work at a PC all day so maybe going home and using the laptop to surf the web for and hour and half every night isn’t the best thing to do..)

After doing some internet research (what a big, big mistake) I realised it could either by a trapped nerve or MS – and guess which of the two seemed more likely to me? I panicked and then tried to be rational about it, so I went to the doctor. He told me it was a trapped nerve – advice was take some ibuprofen. I didn’t bother (I don’t usually like to take any painkillers), the pain wasn’t that bad (more annoying) and I thought it would go away. It did, but then in Feb, the left hand felt a bit numb/tingly again. Again after reading up about MS on the web, I went back to the doctor (saw a different doc this time) and she said she thought it was still a trapped nerve – and to take ibuprofen. She did quite a thorough physical exam and said everything looked normal. I mentioned at that point (and I know I mentioned this because of my ‘research’ on MS) that I very occasionally got that restless legs thing at night – she looked really alarmed and said that I would need to get that investigated if it continued. This really scared me and more or less confirmed for me that I had MS.

The numbness subsequently went away, but halfway through March (after a particularly stressful period at both home and work) it came back – and this time it was both my hands, some of my fingers (thumb, index and middle felt stiff and swollen and it was for around 4 days). It wasn’t like I couldn’t use my fingers, or couldn’t feel them or they looked swollen – they worked perfectly fine – they just felt weird, like they were someone else’s hands from the wrist down. I went absolutely crazy. I did more reading on MS on the web – so scary. I told my partner I thought I had MS and he tried to reassure me but told me I needed to go to the doctor and get checked out. I spent the weekend crying and researching the subject. I ended up hysterical one night – and as I cried and got more and more upset, the numbness and pins and needles travelled into both my feet.

Next day I went to the doctor (and saw a different doctor again). I told her straight out that I was worried about MS – she said ‘gut feeling…no – symptoms aren’t typical, it’s jumping about too much’. Then she looked up my file from the last time I was at the doctor and told me that during my visit in Feb, the doc had noted ‘MS query query query’ on my file as a possibility. She explained the ‘query query query’ bit meant ‘highly unlikely’ - but it had crossed her mind. The doctor then seemed to get really excited by this, and she started talking about how the other GPs in the practice have MS patients, and if I was diagnosed with it, would I come back and be her patient? I was totally shocked by her reaction. She seemed really thrilled at the thought of having her own little MS afflicted pet. I asked to be referred to a neurologist and left the surgery in a complete state. My partner said there was no way I was waiting for 6 months and we would do it privately. I phoned the doctor back and asked for a letter for a private referral – she told me it would cost thousands (it doesn’t) and that ‘why didn’t I wait for an NHS referral and I could spend my money on a nice holiday once I was diagnosed?’ I was devastated by this.

I can’t describe the state I was in – words just can’t cover what was going on in my head at that point. I felt absolutely ill, like my whole world had just completely collapsed. I started obsessively researching MS on the web once more. It’s been meltdown every since. I’ve even had my partner and my mum in tears (not something either of them are prone to) at the thought of me having a progressive illness. I had a really horrendous week after the GP visit where I had all of the symptoms below -

Pins and needles – everywhere in my body
Aches and pains
Numbness/pins and needles in hands and feet
Random muscles twitches going off everywhere in my body
Sore back – at small of back and around neck and shoulders
Racing heart
Dry mouth
Thirsty
Feeling freezing
No appetite and ‘choking’ when I tried to eat
Shaking and deep trembling sensation
Random burning sensations
Itchy
Stiff fingers – on same fingers of both hand
A horrible feeling of overwhelming, intense, terrifying fear, that I was going to die
Feeling of being ‘pressed down’ when lying in bed
Blurry vision – this sounds mad, but it only seems to happen when I’m in work…..
Buckling knees
A feeling of being totally removed from real life
Breathless
Toothache/jawache
Feeling like my tongue is too big for my mouth and its affecting my speech
‘Cracking’ in my joints
Ache at the inside of my eye (where bone is), going into side of my nose/brow/forehead
I’ve been at A & E (the doctor there reckoned anxiety, or at worst, rheumatoid arthritis – apparently symmetrical symptoms are indicative of the latter), had full bloodwork done (all clear), a diabetes test (clear) and seen another 2 doctors in addition – both of whom weren’t concerned, saying that what I was presenting with didn’t give them any indication that I was seriously ill. One of them said he was convinced anxiety was the problem and directed me to an NHS anxiety website – www.glasgowsteps.com (http://www.glasgowsteps.com/) - which I did find reassuring. I was prescribed a low dose of beta blockers (Half Inderal, which I’m still taking) and to be honest they helped immediately – if my symptoms during that week were at 100% I would say that I now only feel 10% of them – sometimes only 5% on a good day. Things come and go.

It didn’t last though. I decided I still wasn’t convinced by the anxiety thing so I paid to see a neurologist. He did a really thorough physical exam (pricking me with needles, bending my toes back and forward while and shut my eyes and told him which direction they were being bent in, checking reflexes, checking my eyes, making my balance on one leg and then another, making me walk a straight line etc etc) and asked me about everything that had happened. He told me that it was unlikely that I had MS and that in fact he didn’t think I had any progressive illness – he thought it was a trapped nerve - but if I wanted, for my own peace of mind, I could have an MRI. He then said he would refer my through the NHS and check the results for me. I have pins in my jaw from an operation I had when I was 18 so he was having to check whether I could get the MRI – I asked if a lumbar puncture was an option, but he said, no, he didn’t think it was necessary for me to undergo such an invasive procedure. He told me pins and needles, muscles twitching etc were very normal and that loads of people come to him terrified about MS with these type of symptoms – and they don’t need to be worried. He told me to stop Googling things like this – because the worse case scenario always comes up when you do. He said to keep taking my medication.

One of the other interesting/weird/disturbing things that has happened is that at my appointment, he asked if my sleep was being disturbed – I replied it wasn’t (I hadn’t had any problems of this type whatsoever – none). Then within a couple of days I’m having cramps in my legs, arms, trembling etc that’s waking me up at night. I feel like I’m going mad.

I started to think again about the anxiety thing – I have had tremendous amounts of stress over the last 3 years of my life and I’m the kind of person who gets so worried about things that might not bother other folk. I’ve had a couple of panic attacks about 12 years ago – they came out of nowhere a couple of times and then just disappeared into nowhere. I also get teary really easily and have just been thinking over the past year that my life is just one big waste of time – what have I really achieved? My job gets me really anxious all the time. But can anxiety do all this to me? Can it really give me these physical symptoms? And can it last for this amount of time???

So here I am waiting on my MRI. But my anxiety comes and goes – one minute I’m rational, and feeling ok, then the next I’m crazy and then I get the physical symptoms. I’ve noticed now that when I get panicky about something, my left hand goes numb and tingly, and my feet, and I get bursts of pins and needles all over my body. The more I worry the worse it gets. We don’t live in such a great neighbourhood and we keep getting stones and sticks thrown at our windows (has been happening on and off since Feb) – it happened again last week and within about 15 minutes my left hand was numb and tingly and bursts of pins and needles going off everywhere. Even as I write this, and I recall everything, both hands and feet have gone numb and fizzy.

But now I start to think – what if there is some serious problem – and then my panic/anxiety is masking the real symptoms? I just can’t stop thinking about all this – it’s just taken over my whole life.

Can anyone help?

Lindalou64
29-04-08, 13:45
Hello Veebee And Welcome Well From What You Have Explained Im Not A Doctor Tho....anxiety Can Cause All Those Symptoms You Have Once Ya Doc Asked You About Pain In Ya Legs Sleeping In Ya Mind You Were Thinking Of These Subconsionsly And It Happened........i Get Alot Of Numbness Also Its Anxiety Even If I Dont Feel Anxious At The Time...working And Being On A Computer Alot Can Cause Cuppatunnel....which I Also Have From Using My Hands So Much At Work.numb Fingers Painful And In The Wrist..back Pain Ect....please Dont Google...will Only Make Ya Feel Worse .....i Wish Ya Well...and Try And Stay Positive......linda

veebee
29-04-08, 15:36
Thanks Linda for replying - sorry to hear you're having these terrible symptoms, its terrifying.

Just found out that the NHS hasn't even processed my paperwork for my scan yet so at least another 2 week wait to go.

I'll try to stop worrying!

Vic
x

Mudskipper
29-04-08, 15:36
Hi Veebee

Just to reassure you you're not alone in this. Medical phobias have plagued my life and I've reached the point where I tend to avoid watching programmes or reading any publications which just might set me off. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. Even so, something creeps under the radar now and then like a few weeks back when I was watching Newsnight and a feature came on about some medical condition, I forget what. I should have switched it off but I didn't. Five minutes later I was exhibiting nearly all the symptoms described, despite having been fine shortly before, that's how bad it can be in my case. It took me quite a while to calm down using a couple of techniques I've learnt over the years, but once I did, the "symptoms" disappeared. It's not impossible that you're suffering similarly.

On the subject of MS, my wife was diagnosed with it ten years ago and her symptoms were different and far more pronounced than what you describe. Ten years later she's still fine and hasn't deteriorated at all, so it's not all bad news with this condition, whatever the internet may tell you.

Take care.

Mudskipper
29-04-08, 15:40
Oh by the way, if you've got a spare USB on your computer, get yourself a proper mouse to use with it. Those built-in ones are absolute murder and very bad for your wrists.

kellie
29-04-08, 16:43
hiya veebee :welcome: to nmp un it lovely to have you here:D . you will get lots of support/advice and make some great friends along the way. all the symptoms you have or have had are all connected to anxiety. please please dont google symptoms that you get it will only scare you silly. you have had a lot of tests done and everything is fine so plz try to stop worrying thinking that you have some serious illness, i think mr anixety has jumped on your back and is enjoying the ride. we are all here to help and support you hun so when you are worried do a post about it or come into the chat room where you can talk to us all.have a good read of the symptoms one the left hand collum and you will see that most of yours if not all of them are mentioned there. hope to talk to you in chat some time.
bestwishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps can i just say i suffered all of the symptoms you mention when my anx was at its worse when i thought i had lung cancer when i googled a chest infection that werent going fast enough. i then found here and have combated most of them with the help from the info here and all these great ppl. even a chest xray didnt convince me i didnt have it .

veebee
29-04-08, 16:50
Thanks Mudskipper and Kellie - can't tell you how good it is to hear from people who understand. My friends and family have been great but its difficult for them to get to grips with how messed up my mind is at the moment!

Vic
x

chalky
29-04-08, 19:54
Hi Veebee,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

veebee
29-04-08, 20:00
Thanks Chalky!

Good to hear from you.

Vic
x

PS Does anyone know how to cope when waiting for a scan? I think I am going to end up totally freaked out before mine is due.

trac67
30-04-08, 10:12
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Joe1981
30-04-08, 22:50
:welcome: to the site! :D

Mudskipper
01-05-08, 09:39
On the subject of keeping calm while waiting for your scan, there are a number of posibilities.

I'm currently on fluoxetine as an anti-depressant. It can also work to calm you, although the effects take a while to kick in and it can actually make you feel worse before you feel better, so this may not be an option. However, my doctor also prescribed me a tranquiliser for a limited period to calm my anxiety until the fluoxetine took effect. Used for short periods they shouldn't be addictive.

You might also try a couple of relaxation techniques. Meditation is said to be very helpful although I've yet to get sufficiently organised to try it for myself. Alternatively, you could try a simple technique called 7-11 breathing, based on the principle that most of us just don't breath properly. Lie on your bed, relax your body fully, breathe in deeply for a count of 7, then breathe out for a count of 11. Doing this for an extended period of half an hour or more, I've managed to reach a state of deep relaxation which was very pleasant and helpful. You may wish to do this in a darkened room with some relaxing music playing quietly, but the main thing is to do it when you're not going to be distracted or interrupted. I quite often do it late at night to help get myself off to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Nibbles
01-05-08, 17:46
Hi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :smile:

Heazsam
19-06-15, 11:45
HI everyone
Can anyone shed light on my problems please
For years (many) I have suffered from neck pain and stiffness, which included shoulder pain and arm and hand numbness.
for the last couple of months I have had vibrations in my feet, legs and bottom, also my burning in calf muscles, my right foot feel strange though is moving Ok. my shoulders sometimes feel like they are on fire (along with neck pain and tension).
I get numbness feeling in my arms and hand s a lot of the time ( but always with neck tension and pain).
I dont have any weakness and has lost no strength.
had blood tests ( came back normal)
No double vision, or speech probems
Had MRI scan ( nothing major, some lower spine deterioration because of my age 45, and also they said a gap or bulge in my neck,(dont know what they mean). sure they said gap around the cord?
Doctor wasn't concerned with scan results.
I'm waiting to see a neurologist.
I've convinced myself I have MS, all I do is search the web for symptoms like mine, and Ms comes up all the time.
I feel shattered and so worried, im not eating and sleeping.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks
Andrew