PDA

View Full Version : Benzodiazepine question

Kroko
02-04-05, 15:47
Hello,

I am currently on a benzodiazepine called Temesta, which I take regularly every day. Now my psychiatrist wants me to switch to alprazolam (Xanax). On the No More Panic website under alprazolam it says: "Narcotics may increase the sedative effects of this drug. Do not take other sedative, benzodiazepines, or sleeping pills with this drug. The combinations could be fatal."

This worries me as I also have diazepam (Valium, T-Quil, Valrelease, is called Diapam in Finland) and Oxazepam (Serax, Oxepam) both for taking when required, which is not very often.

So who am I to believe, you or the doctor?!

Also, I know a lot of you are very much opposed to taking benzodiazepines regularly to treat anxiety and panic, but they seem to be the only drugs that work for me anymore...I want to take them and feel better, even if (and when) they're habit-forming.

seh1980
02-04-05, 16:20
hello Kroko,

I'm not an expert on medication but it could be that you are an exception to the rule if you doctor has advised you to take them. I'm sure Meg will give you a much better answer..

Sarah :D

Meg
02-04-05, 17:42
Hi Kroko,

Temesta (or ativan to the rest of us) is a very similar drug to diazepam- both are Benzos as is Oxepam.

So currently you have 3 benzos. I regular and 2 just for breakthrough anxiety so this is not the overuse that the warning are referring to. If there was someone who was not aware, and took a mixture of these regularly they would be heading for trouble.

Xanax is the newest benzo and reputedly the most effective benzo out there , so hopefully it will be able to control the symptoms for you thus you not needing the others very often. So sounds like a sensible option to try for you

I've never taken it but I do hear good things about its effectiveness - it is also addictive.

Hope it helps you.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Kroko
02-04-05, 17:59
Thank you very much for the information, Meg. From the website I got the impression that if you mix them even a little, you might die. I guess not.

florence
03-04-05, 16:27
Hi Kroko ,
I know a great website ( www.benzo.org.uk ) that have loads of informations about benzodiazepines and also a great forum, where you can get advices, support, etc..... It has helped me in the past, so I recommend it.
I am sure you ll find someone there who can advise you . Hope it helps .
Regards.
Florence.;)