PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram/Alchohol

joseamnesia
29-04-08, 19:35
Hello all. Not posted here in while but a while ago my doctor switched me from Fluoxetine 20mg to Citalopram 20mg. This was because I asked to come off the medication as I felt I could perhaps cope. Since then I've had a bout of strange thoughts occuring. Returned to the doctors about this and he upped the citalopram to 40mg. Now I am almost rid of the thoughts but I have a real problem when drinking alchohol. I noticed when I have the odd can my heart rate increases, especially when I stand up fast I get massive palpitations and feel strange. Last night I went to a pub for a drink for my cousins birthday. After one pint of lager I started to feel paranoid and then the heat came... Started burning up and getting palpitations, and felt the panic coming on so had so rush outside to get some air.

In general I am always quite warm while others are thinking it chilly. Especially after alchohol, I seem to burn up? University mate ask me to come out all the time but I never go, one drink and a crowded place..

Is it the meds mixing with the drink? When on fluoextime I did get similar symptoms but not as bad.

Recently split with my fiance too, as I was constantly paranoid about her even though I didn't recognise myself to be. Is that the citalpram? I am on all this medication for panic attacks.

Now it seems that when I don't take the medication I get really down..

Been on citalpram since late 2007 and anti depressants for about 2 -3 years

Lila
29-04-08, 19:56
I don't know anything about Citalopram and Alcohol but I was thinking you might just be allergic to wheat/grain. Could be worth checking that out. Hope you feel better soon!

joseamnesia
29-04-08, 23:57
Have had 6 weetabix for breakfast since being 4 years old or something :)

Lila
30-04-08, 00:23
Have had 6 weetabix for breakfast since being 4 years old or something :)

May not be it then :)

Beer is fermented though, could be the high sugar content too that make you get flushed. It could be that you fear loosing control of your emotions while drinking, even though you are not totally aware of feeling that way your brain is telling you otherwise.....I don't know really, just trying to come up with some reasons why this is happening. Could just be the interaction with the meds. What does your Dr think?

jill
30-04-08, 00:40
Hi Jose.

I feel that it is sooo important to ask if its ok to drink alcahol when on meds, with some meds they do say, NO alcahol, because they do not mix.

Does this only happen when you drink? you may find that there is link in there, please ask the advice of your gp or go to chemist, they will tell you hun.

Can you link this symptoms to social things, even when not drinking, its dame hard understanding why anxiety symptoms happen, but we must try and elimanate things, look at things more carfully.

So, its seems it maybe one of 2 things, the alcahol mixing with meds or anxiety in social place, what do you think?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

milly jones
30-04-08, 08:05
i'm on citalopram and i thought u were allowed no alcohol with them?

mlly xx

breeze25
30-04-08, 08:14
Yes I was on them aswell and our not allowed to drink alcohol on them, I did go out one night and think maybe just a few as I had not been out for months, I had a few drinks, hardly anything but usually when I start to feel merry I felt weird and at first thought someone had spiked my drink, the next morning it was one of the worse hangovers ever even though I had only had 2 bottles of WKD, never drank again after that. Citolopram has saved me more than once, just not when I drink booze, the doctor did say it lessens the effect.

joseamnesia
05-05-08, 16:46
I do get the feeling once I've had alchohol, that i feel weird and i know the alchohol is inside me now and there is nothing i can do about it. i will be talking to someone, then all of a sudden i feel weird and that that person is maybe noticing the weirdness coming over in me. i start to burn up. like a hot flush but it continues to rise and rise and rise. then i notice my heart increases and i feel short of breath. happens everytime i drink. sometimes similar things happen if ive been rushing around or just finished working out and someone asks me to do something or i have to face people while hot and bothered

thanks for support guys x

Mark E Moon
13-06-08, 11:39
:) Hi!

I'm currently on 60mg of 'the pram' a day (I know, I know) and have had no severe problems when having a couple of drinks. Having lots to drink is a bit of a no-no though. Alchohol is after all a depressant and does to some degree impair the ability of citalopram to affect your mood. My advice, stay away from things you know that will act as a depressant. Surround yourself only with things that make you happy. If you do drink try to keep it to the minimum and no more than twice a week.

Hope this has been of help.

samc100
13-06-08, 12:15
I asked the Dr and they said you can have a drink (but not much) and to be honest 2 glasses of wine and I was very tipsy. So you'll be a cheap date!

I was also advised to take my tablet in the morning if having a drink cos' that way the tablet could its stuff all day and be less affected by the drink.

mat74
14-06-08, 11:17
Hi all - I can probably help with this topic.

I have been on 20mg Citalopram a day now for coming up to one ear and for the first 6 months I never touched a drop of the stuff.

I now go out and usually drink the equivalent of around 4 pints once a week in one night and I am fine with it although everyone is different.

I know doctors tend to say different things but mine told me that although it is not reccomended it wont kill you and the only adverse effects you get (which I do) is you get drunk quicker and you are more tired the next day.

So I would say have some fun, have a few drinks but also have some soft drinks/water in between and make sure you eat well before hand and you will be fine.

Enjoy