PDA

View Full Version : thoughts

tracy
20-11-03, 21:50
hi, i was wondering if you could answer this question , i have beenhaving problems with my head feeling very starnge for instance i have had for about 2 weeks now its as if my heads very busy and i cant seem to think very well. up until this i have been feeling better than i have for along time and then this started, it seems to happen when i am busy doing things or even shopping anything really. i keep feeling im going mad or something . i have been thinking of going to seee my gp but i keep putting it off hoping that it may be gone tomorrow but it asnt. the thing is i fell i have agraphobia as the symptoms i have read off your site match mine. i cant go totally anywhere with out my husbands help , but yesterday i wanted to prove appoint that i can but it didnt go to well. i decided to take my dog for a run without my husband in tow i can go so far but then i have to stop, for some reaon i felt i wanted to try on my own and go further to see this horse in a field that i no, and i did actually make it without any one. but then on the way back across the field i looked to see that my home seemed far away i try to destract myself with my dog but all of a suden the fear started to come back i felt light headed and my legs started to tremble, then i felt i couldnt breathe very well and my chest wa getting tight . ihad my mobile with me its my life saver, and i was going to phone my hubby to come and meet me , i carried on walking till i saw i was getting closer to home i was just about to dial when i thought no im not going to let you get to me anymore so i kept talking it out and it soon went , but it still scares me to death, thinking of it.i feel as if i,m living in a shell and thers no way out.when im out i feel as if im floating , im i going mad or something cause if not it sure feels like it.
tracy

Meg
20-11-03, 22:21
Hey Tracy,

Well done indeed for talking yourself down from a panic attack...!!

Do that walk each day until it gets easier and easier. It's possible that next time you also feel scared as you may associate it with feeling bad this time but as you walk it keep telling yourself that last time turned out fine and this time will also be fine if not easier....it was 'thinking' about home being far away that set you off.

Your busy thoughts are totally normal - even the bits about feeling you're going mad. You're not.If these thought did lead to madness then I wouldn't be freely writing form home I would be locked up somewhere.

They pass with some thought retraining, learning to relax fully at times, good nutrition and exercise.

Plus of course taking small steps daily to push out the boundries of your life and learning to cope with it all.

Well done again for managing that today. Come back and tell us how tomorrow goes.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
20-11-03, 22:36
hi tracy,
it does sound like early stage agoraphobia...but from wot you have said,your doing great,and ime sure your going to beat it.

if you read radars analogy of driving accross a bridge...this is the way for you to go...make a point of visiting that lovely horse as often as you can,the more you make the journey,the less panicky you will feel...its not a matter of a few journeys,it might take 30/40,as you learn to slowly change the way you think.

you will succeed,youve proven it already...there are a lot of good techniques posted on this site,to calm down that panicky affect,that you feel,as you walk home...proper breathing...mantras...teaching our mind to think positive thoughts as we walk along..there all techniques used by people on this site.

please read as much of the information written on this site,ime sure it will help you,but as ive already said,i think you will beat this....bryan.

nomorepanic
20-11-03, 22:45
Tracy

I agree with these guys

Go back tomorrow and do it again - do not avoid it or you will find it harder each day to go back

Good luck

Nicola

sadie
20-11-03, 23:18
Hi Tracey

Please dont let your fear of your symptoms stop you living your life, If you keep facing them head on they will eventually lose their fear and you will see them for what they are...just symptoms brought on by our fear of them. I too used to be frightened of being on my own when my panic attacks were at their worse. I was scared to be in the house myself in case something happened while I was alone. In fact I was frightened to even go to the toilet on my own (How mad is that!). I had to push myself constantly to be brave and face everything myself so I learned to cope on my own. I do sometimes get scared still and need the support of my husband but I am trying to cope on my own. There are lots of great advice on this site which for the short time I have been here has helped me so much. You will be supported here too. Keep in touch.

sadie

tracy
23-11-03, 22:21
hi all and thankyou for your surport. i havent been back to that horse yet , he is my main focus at the moment if i can get to him alone then its a good start for me.i do want to go places and do things which is a good sign as before i had no interest on the outside, so this year i have done really well but not as yet on my own, i feel i can if i try i no i can as this year i have a few tests to do and thankfully i did them , but it would be nice for me to be able to say i did it alone.i'm ok if i am with people and i am good at looking ok people who no me see me as the tracy with no problems but they dont see what im feeling .i no you shouldnt hide this but its my way of having some kind of private life without people gossaping like theydo and pointing the finger. i have told my family so they ALL no but i cant tell strangers of fear of rejection so i try to act as normal as possible, i surpose its just my way some people understand some people dont.if i could get rid of the negative thoughts id be fine but they are not always easy to get rid of. i have really good days when i feel no anxiety at all then i get the bad days and i dont cope to well. luckily i have a real good husband who helps me as much as he can. i have a young daughter of 6yrs which i have to try and hide the bad times away from her . we havent had a holiday for the best part of 6yrs because of the panic attack i had when we were out driving, so it as basically put the dampers on that.does anyone have any ideas on helping yourself while you are out thoughts in general?
thanks again tracy