PDA

View Full Version : How can i avoid and get over the fear of passing out?

dave316
30-04-08, 17:16
One of my biggest fears regarding panic is that i will faint due to hyperventilating whilst panicking. People say you can't faint during a PA because your blood pressure is high but what if you were hyperventilating? I've heard that can cause this? I am sooo scared!!!

I have fainted before so its not a fear of the unknown. Its because i have experienced it that u am fearful of it ever happening again. (Just a note to say when i have fainted in the past, it was before my anxiety days when i was at a concert on a really hot day and hadn't eaten anything).

I hate it so much because it always is worse when i am waiting for something like to be called in for an appointment. I am so scared about these social things that i start to feel very lightheaded and when its just at its worse, is when i get called in to see someone (not a doctors appt by the way, just a general meeting anywhere with anyone in a social situation)

I just want to stop these sensations from occuring (the lightheadedness) as it terrifies me.

I make sure i limit every possibility of passing out by eating a sufficient amount beforehand, drinking and keeping my blood sugar levels up so i don't have to worry about those factors.. Its just a fear that i will panic myself into lightheadedness by hyperventilating.

I am always feeling this more when im in a situation i can not easily escape from.

For anyone who can help me with some suggestions about what subtle things one can do to distract themselves from the fear/the thought process of thinking "Oh no, I may pass out (with the emphasis being on subtle) i would greatly appreciate it. I need you guys, i really do!!

Love to all

Dave x

karenb
30-04-08, 17:25
Dave we must be twins!!!

This is what my anxiety is all about! The feeling of panic and fainting are exactly the same.

I fainted in Cyprus last year (have fainted lots before) and it's started off this anxiety and panic that i cant rid myself from. I am exactly the same waiting to be called for appts and queing with shopping etc. and I can't go on buses at the moment either.

I am trying to beat this by going on holiday on Tuesday (face my fears).

what symptons do you get? I get tingling arms and legs and then a very warm feeling rushing over me.

Take care Karen x

Blaise
30-04-08, 17:26
Dave,
You are just like me, I struggle to go out on walks, shopping, work, waiting in doctors, parties etc for fear of fainting. My 1st panic signal is hyperventilaing / taking deep breaths from them you body as you know makes you lightheaded as you are expelling too much CO2. I tell myself 'what is the worst thing that will happen if i faint here now?' I wont die. I also try to distract myself by walking around with a stressball or something that I can grab, be it a leaf off a tree or anything. We have to try and change the thoughts that we have, how? im not sure, just by trying to learn why it happens and see that its just our minds telling our bodies to hyperventilate. Hope im making sense, if not ask me more xx

Blaise
30-04-08, 17:28
Karen, you are very brave. I chickened out of my holiday to Mauritius last week for my best mates wedding as I just couldnt cope with knowing that I may feel anxious for the whole 12 hours and faint on the plane or want to escape and not be able to. Arghhhhhhhhhh

karenb
30-04-08, 17:33
I should have gone to Mexico in January and chickened out. But I know i will feel better once i know i can do it!!!

I can only try my best and hope I dont spoil it for my husband!

Blaise
30-04-08, 17:35
Good on you Karen, let us know how you get on. Are you taking meds at the moment or is this just will power?

mingsy
30-04-08, 19:36
Hi Dave
I don't know if this will help, but as a "fainter", with low blood pressure, this was one of my main anxieties, which built up over time and stopped me from going to the supermarket, standing in queues, going abroad and eventually going out. But all is not bad I can do all the above now and work 30hrs a week mostly standing behind a till.
I had councelling and my main fear was making a fool of myself and people looking at me and fussing, I had to think of what I would feel and do if I saw somebody faint, to which I came to the conculsion I wouldn't think them stupid or foolish and I would make sure they had space, give them a drink of water when they came round, take them to a back room out of the way to recover and when they felt well enough let them go on their way, and most people would do the same, this kind of eased the fear for me.
My best tip is to always have some extra strong mints with you and if you start to feel wobbly pop one in your mouth, somehow this takes the fainting feelings away for me:shrug:. Another thing I always have with me are glucose tablets, they give you that extra umph.
Take care

mandie
01-05-08, 01:21
Hi Dave

I have a fear of fainting when im having a panic attack. I get so scared that i hyperventilate

I to hate the lightheadness. its frightens me which makes me worse.

Karen, i get the tingling arms and legs and the warm feeling.

wish i knew how to distract myself from fear :sad:

love mandie x

thevoicewithinme
01-05-08, 08:44
Hi Dave,

Yes I am yet another one who feels faint whilst having a panic attack, and no I have never fainted in my life, so I guess for me it's the fear of fainting, the fear of the unknown.

As most of my panic attacks are travel related i.e. when I'm driving, I know its not good to feel this way, but I always make sure I have a bottle of water in my car within easy reach, which I sip...I also have in the glove box a bag of humbugs, and like mingsy said above, sucking on these really do help me to get past that 'oh my god, I'm going to faint' feeling.

This might sound strange, but I suddenly remembered last night, that when I was having severe panic attacks last time around, someone told me to wear and elastic band around my wrist, and whenever I felt edgey or could feel myself getting hyped up, to twang it. I tried this and funnily enough it did seem to work...I think it works in the simple way that by twanging it, it causes a pain and your mind focuses in on that. Might not work for you, but worth a try maybe.

Kaz

karenb
01-05-08, 09:01
Good on you Karen, let us know how you get on. Are you taking meds at the moment or is this just will power?

I take 60mg Citalopram asnd Diazepam when required. Will let you know how it goes!!

mandie
01-05-08, 09:49
Kaz i also wear the elastic band. someone on this site recommended it.

Family laugh but if feel it does stop the panic getting worse

love mandie x

helenclaire
01-05-08, 10:16
Hi,
I also have this fear of fainting, i have never actually fainted but i feel so bad that i no longer go out without my husband, driving is the worse thing as i feel like i will pass out at the wheel and cause an accident, it does not matter how many times i am told i wont faint it does not help.
I can even feel faint just thinking about it, which unfortunately is most of the day.
Wish i knew how to over come it as i could lead a normal life then.
All the best
Helen

greenday1997
01-05-08, 10:17
Hiya matey!!

firstly can sympathise with you cos this was one of my biggest fears last year and kinda took over my life. i had some really bad panic attacks to the point where i was losing touch/comciousness and i wud jump in a taxi home jst bolt outve work lol but it was very scary!!

what ya gotta understand firstly is the lightheadedness etc is a normal affect of anxiety, although scary its perfectly normal, and will be heightened because u are aware of it! imagine an itch on ur finger in a certain spot, i guarantee within a minute it will start feeling itchy if u keep thinking about it:doh:

personally - from my own experience, the way i got over it - or got better copin with it, was to first not fight it - theres a reason for that, the more u try n fight it tacle the fear the more you're aware of how ur feeling and you'll be fighting a losing battle because the what ifs are what u listen to over resoning!!

the way i managed was distraction, complete distraction, easier said than done i know but you wont win fighting against yourself when your in a state of anxiety be it concoius or unconciousbecause you already believe it over reasoning :D

now i dnno if you can pass out from an anx attack or not bt wat my doc once told me whch helps is ya body has its own coping mechanism so it will calm itself down and if u was to pass out, which is nigh on imposible all your bodys gonna do is calm itself down!! nothing other than that!! its what its there for, to keep itself ticking over and keep you well! :D so theres nothin at all to be worried about. i know the thawt of it can be terrifying but ya body will do wot its needs to do to keep itself and you safe.

distractions the key to this one trust me on this. concentrate on enjoying yaself and the rest will fall into place. its a conclusion you will have to come up with yourself sooner or later so the sooner u make it the less time youve wasted which u deserve to be enjoying yaself

sorry for the rambling havent had much sleep :doh:

hope this helps

green :yesyes: