PDA

View Full Version : Change in citalopram dosage

cazziep
03-04-05, 13:38
Hi

I seemed to be doing OK (eventually!) on 10mg of citalopram, but after 2 weeks, my GP increased them to 20mg.

Can you get an increase in side effects with an increase in dose? My sleeping was getting better (it was awful when I started on the citalopram, but it's a symptom of my anxiety anyway). I'm not as agitated as I was at the start of the treatment (was expecting major panics). My appetite is pretty OK (which it wasn't at the start!) and I have no nausea. I just seem to be waking early and I feel a bit spaced out. I'm hoping this drug will work for me (thought it was)! Is the insomnia me or the medication?! Will this side effect go once my body gets used to the increased dose? It did after 10 days on the 10mg.

Thanks!

Love and hugs

Caz xx

cazziep
03-04-05, 13:54
Oops, me again! Dizzy blonde...I forgot to say that this type of insomnia is different from my 'anxiety insomnia'...I think!

Before the citalopram (and in the first few days of taking it) I used to wake early in a panic. Panics used to wake me up! Panics used to keep me awake all night!

Now, I'm getting off to sleep (with the aid of Zopiclone - which I've been on and off for years) but waking after a few hours and not being able to get back to sleep. Just wide awake, but no major panics. Surely, this must be the citalopram?

Love and hugs

Caz xx

Meg
03-04-05, 14:02
Yes you can.

With changes of dose both up and down you can have reoccurence of side effects.

Its a mood altering drug which makes changes in your brains electrical and chemicals function, so it responds easily to change.

It should settle down again like it did last time

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

cazziep
03-04-05, 14:11
Thanks so much for the reply, Meg. [:X]

You have certainly put my mind at ease!

I thought I was doing so well on the 10mg, and I was sort of regretting increasing the dosage (even though I know 20mg is the recommended starting dose).

Thank you once again!

Wishing you well.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

kairen
03-04-05, 16:17
hi cazziep

i was on citolapram on and of for years on 20mg, it does space you out a bit when you change the dose but it will settle down, as long as your not panicking when you cant sleep dont worry about it you'll be ok when your body gets used to different dose,

hope you settle soon take care xxx

kairen x

cazziep
03-04-05, 16:32
Hi Kairen

Thanks so much for the reply. It's great when people understand what you are going through. [:X]

Did the citalopram cause insomnia in you, do you mind me asking? I've read it's one of the most common symptoms and usually goes away.

I do panic about not sleeping and I know I shouldn't! I'm terrible about it! I have another illness that makes me tired, so that + no sleep = a big worry for me! I think I make too much of it, though, as even without sleep, I survive. I feel crappy, but I cope! At least I'm not having panic attacks throughout the night at the moment. I think the citalopram is doing something, as I wake feeling a bit calmer.

Hope you are well.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

kairen
03-04-05, 17:44
hi caz,

yes at first i found it hard to sleep, but i was so bad b4 i started taking them i was to scared to go to bed i used to sleep on the sofa, or go to bed with the tv on all night, it was a truly awful time for me i think it was because i knew i couldnt talk to anyone as they were all sleep,

i doing really well at min, been of meds for 5 weeks and feel positive i know finding this site has made all the difference, if you are having daft thought or whatever all you need to do is come on here write it down which is theropy in its self, and someone will be there for you,
there is always someone who understands how you feel or is willing to give you advice.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

take carexx

kairen x

seh1980
03-04-05, 19:20
hello Caz,

It's very normal that you are suffering side-effects if your dosage has been increased. I hope you start to feel like your normal self again soon!!

Sarah :D

sal
04-04-05, 00:12
Hi Cazzie

It will alter how you feel as you have doubled the dose overnight and side affects will kick in. If you want to lessen that affect do what i did and went from 10 mg to 15mg for a few days then up to 20 mg. It wont harm you.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

cazziep
04-04-05, 12:11
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi caz,

yes at first i found it hard to sleep, but i was so bad b4 i started taking them i was to scared to go to bed i used to sleep on the sofa, or go to bed with the tv on all night, it was a truly awful time for me i think it was because i knew i couldnt talk to anyone as they were all sleep,

<div align="right">Originally posted by kairen - 03 April 2005 : 17:44:46</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I can totally relate to that! I used to sleep on the sofa, as I was literally terrified of being in bed! I have to sleep with the TV on, anyway, which my husband isn't too happy about. Sometimes, when I'm like this, we sleep separately. It's the only way I can get through the night. He's only got to get up to go to the loo; I wake up and then that's me awake for the night!

Hopefully, things will get back to normal again soon!

Thanks again for your reply Kairen.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

cazziep
04-04-05, 12:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hello Caz,

It's very normal that you are suffering side-effects if your dosage has been increased. I hope you start to feel like your normal self again soon!!

Sarah :D

<div align="right">Originally posted by seh1980 - 03 April 2005 : 19:20:31</div id="right">

Thanks, Sarah. [:X]

I got a better night's sleep last night. I feel a bit weird at the moment, like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. Bet everyone can relate to that! Not sure if it's the tablets, or if it's me!

Hope you are well.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

cazziep
04-04-05, 12:23
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Cazzie

It will alter how you feel as you have doubled the dose overnight and side affects will kick in. If you want to lessen that affect do what i did and went from 10 mg to 15mg for a few days then up to 20 mg. It wont harm you.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

<div align="right">Originally posted by sal - 04 April 2005 : 00:12:17</div id="right">

Hi Sal and thanks for the reply. [:X]

I've been on 20mg for 5 days now and I'm just happy that the nausea, agitation and terrible panics that I had at the start with 10mg haven't happened with the increase in the dose! I just feel nervous most of the time, which is easier to cope with than the panics and severe anxiety. It's mainly the sleeping (which was better last night) and being 'spaced out' all the time!

I didn't know they did 5mg of citalopram. Did you cut your 10mgs in half?

Hope you are well.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

cuddles
08-02-09, 17:22
Hi there i too am on this medication and reading what you have all said has made me understand more about my medication. I dont sleep very well and hope that improves. I was put on 30mg and have now been reduced to 20mg as the 30mg was too strong and i was tatoally spaced out.
Sue

Bob47
08-02-09, 22:29
What are the reasons a GP would have for 'upping' the dose??