PDA

View Full Version : Olanzapine advice please

janey50
01-05-08, 12:49
I have been prescribed Olanzapine for my acute anxiety, which can lead to acute agitation at times. Currently taking a very cautious 2.5 mg at night. It does have some effect, but I would like to know more about it, in particular how soon it might help me to get off Ativan, and how quickly i can reduce the latter. I have become used to dealing with anxiety via Ativan (currently max 2mg) and I know you can't just stop taking it without experiencing withdrawal, so would like to know of anyone else who has made this switchover, or who takes Olanzapine and finds it useful. Any other info welcome too, as long as it's not 'Don't touch it with a bargepole! Janey.

margaret911
01-05-08, 23:40
Hi Janey
I take 5mg olanzapine and it does help with the anxiety, I still have panics and I still get anxious but the olanzapine does help.
love Mags xxx

janey50
02-05-08, 17:27
Thanks a lot, Mags. i do need encouraging to take it, as I'm so used to Lorazepam, I'd rather take that, but the Olanzapine sounds like a more sensible option. Do you take yr 5mg at night? I've been advised to take 2.5, twice a day. Thankyou for yr input. Love, janey

margaret911
02-05-08, 22:12
Hi Janey
I take it in the morning and I dont get drowsy with it, I find it really helpful and when I do get anxious I either listen to a relaxation cd or I have a hot radox bath which helps to unwind me.
love Mags xxx

daisymoo
06-06-08, 15:54
In the early days of my 'crisis' I was taking 10mg of Olanzapine + AD's. It certainly helped me with my sleep. I backed off all the way to 2.5mg and came off AD's, but since I can't seem to shake off my morning anxiety I have been told to go back up to 7.5mg. No AD's though. Anxiety is an off-the-label use for Olanzapine, but it seems to work (unlike AD's).

I wish you all well with your Olanzapine medication.

janey50
07-06-08, 15:49
Thanks, Daisymoo, for yr message. I'm off Olanzepine now because of the swollen ankles, and am now taking Risperidone instead. It knocks me out. I don't like it much but I think it's having some effect on the anxiety. Hope you find some relief soon. Love, Janey

TidusRawlings
09-06-08, 01:32
I too take olanzapine 5mg twice a day. I have only noticed a slight difference, before I was on sulpiride 200mg twice a day and that seemed to work for me. I am going to give the olanzapine a few more weeks but think i will move back to the sulpiride.

terry83
17-01-10, 20:29
heya well i take olanzapine 20 mg started off on 5 mg olanzapine should over power the side effects off ur other meds it did with mine when i came off seroxat and thats summat that shouldnt just be stopped because of the known side effects i know without my olanzapine i get real bad anxiety but im on it as an anti phycotic to treat me with bipolar disorder i think you should seek advice from your consultant as every body is different hunny hope this is usefu x

brady
21-01-10, 12:23
Hi, i was on olanzapine 20mg for just over 2 years. I took it at night and it helped me get a good sleep, and the next morning i was anxiety free. I did gain a bit of weight (nearly 2 stone lol). I have been taken off olanzapine recently and put on Chlorpromazine, i find these to be very helpful, but they are only short term use for my anxiety. Olanzapine are great, but just watch your weight lol

mike_d100
18-09-10, 09:42
i have been on olanzapine for two and three quarter years now. I take 15mg at night. my problem is i cant get to sleep without it. i tried cutting down to 12.5mg but have had no sucess. i find i can cut down to 12.5mg for two weeks and then the time lag kicks in and i cant sleep. it is horrible as my metabolism seems to speed up and i simply cannot calm down to go to sleep. It is not concious it happens at a sub concious level as i am fully aware and try to be calm. im really worried as if the effects of olanzapine wear off i am going to be really stuck and will have nothing to helpme sleep. I hate taking olanzapine, but seems that i have no choice.

heavenly
22-10-10, 12:56
I have been on Olanzapine for just over 2 months now, that is when my anxiety started. It has really helped. I was on 1 x 2.5mg for a while, then had a really bad week and upped it to 2 x 2.5mg. Stayed at that for the past month, but have now gone back down to 1 x 2.5mg, going ok at the mo. I found that taking 2 lots was making me extra drowsy, weight gain and it was difficult to concentrate at work, so hopefully I can stay on just the one tablet. I am having couselling, doing yoga and taking vitamins, so I hope, in time, I can come off medication completely.

lentils
22-10-10, 13:15
hi im on olanzapine 30 mgs aday plus 2mgs if needed main effect i found was weight gain apperently its notorious for that

dannybear
06-02-11, 16:15
Hey there,

I have been on Olanzapine for nearly 10 years now. I was intially on 2.5MG in the morning and 5mg at night. When I took it in the morning it made me very drowsey. Currently I take 5mg in the morning which now does not make me drowsey and 10mg at night to help me sleep.

Olanzapine is a very good drug. Very little side effects. Sulpride rings a bell. Think I was on that drug when I had my breakdown. I looked up sulpride and found out that it is a anti psychotic. Makes me would if I had schizophrenia. The thing is I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome with OCD and depression. I have tried a lot of anti depressants and they all send me loopey. Or for want of a better word, Manic.

The trick with Olanzapine is not to have alchohol. This will make you anxious when you wake up.

Another good thing with Olanzapine is that they are coated, so they dont desolve on the tong and leave a funny taste in your mouth.

A friend told me that Olanzapine is one of the best drugs in the world. It is highly effective.

Although it wont solve everything. Councilling is sometimes needed.