PDA

View Full Version : General Anxiety - not quite beaten yet!

Tiny Sue
03-04-05, 16:32
Okay - this is an abbreviated version of the story because I just lost the whole lot because I'd forgotten to put in a topic! AAARGH[Oops!]

Here's the deal.
Suffered from general anxiety for many years (scary thoughts playing and replaying in my head until I was angry with everyone for interrupting my spiral of self hatred). My father suggested I get help and I did because anything, even the horrible "stigma" (silly me) of having psychiatric help would have been better than the way I felt at the time.

After nine or ten chats with the behavioural therapist I felt strong enough to "stride down there and light my own light" as I've seen in one or two of the signatures around here. So I did. The thoughts were still there but I was down to one or two incidences a year and was doing very well.

Then a lot of stuff happened. My mother died and my father started dating fairly soon (like a year) afterwards, but confessed to having had adulterous thoughts and feelings (hmmm I wonder do we suffer from the same thing) about a niece of my mothers for many years. He had never done anything about it though. I had an intense relationship that lasted for two years with a guy who turned out to be married and didn't tell me. He went back to his wife and child and left me high and dry. I began to lose weight (about 25lbs) and overexercise in an effort to blot all this out.

However good stuff happened too and I got a masters degree, bought a house and kept the payments up, and eventually met a wonderful man (about three years ago now). We were married in October. Problem is, before the wedding I went through about 10 weeks of anxiety, almost calling the whole thing off 2 weeks beforehand because the thoughts and fears that are normal before marriage had blown themselves out of all proportion.
I wasn't sure I was marrying my husband because I loved him or because I was running away from all that had happened and needed somewhere safe, like running away from that disastrous relationship and hiding behind this one because I still had unresolved feelings. I was still friendly with cheater boy and his wife, though his wife doesn't know what happened.
We were married though, and I overcame those feelings, and we've been married for a half a year now. Happily, until two weeks ago when a combination of things started me worrying again.
PMT , our decision to have a baby, a visit from the cheat and his family (oh god what if i'm still attracted to him i can't be i can't be i love my husband don't i why do i feel this way i thought that this was all over and if i still think this way maybe im wrong) and the fact that we've both been very busy.
As with the wedding nerves, I talked about it to my husband. As with the wedding nerves, he held me tight, said he understood that I was worrying too much and that he was here for me and that I was worth the wait and that he loves me. And I love him too, so much.

SO
I can't jeopardise my marriage by putting him (or our future children please God) through this every six months. This stops NOW. Learning strategies for coping is why I'm here. I KNOW what the problem is. I just need a help out. Will be starting yoga classes again soon.

Oh, and I suffer from that tight neck and jaw thing too!

I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT

[Yeah!]

Sue

kairen
03-04-05, 16:48
[:I] hi tiny sue,

wow you have a lot going on there.

i to have those crazy thoughts, and thats all they are, u prob know deep down that your ex isnt half the man your husband is, so even if you were tempted you would never throw all that away.
just take these thoughts as what they are, just insecurities and what ifs,

you know in theory what to do to get through this your family will just want to support and help you so try not to feel to guilty about that your just havint a little blip in your recovery

hope this made some sence LOL
try not to worry about it to much and concentrate on all the good things you and your husband have

take care xx

kairen x

Tiny Sue
03-04-05, 17:08
Wow Kairen

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel stronger now than I have in days. I'm lucky that I haven't ever had a panic attack or such. I experience mild depersonalisation when all that thinking is going on and I think that's what makes me doubt myself so much.

I just need to be positive rather than negative...my husband knows that because he's heard me saying that whenever I am completely happy I think this is too good to be true and go looking for the tripwires, like it can't be that simple.

I have a wee problem too in that like many ppl who suffer from anxiety, I have a highly developed conscience and a high IQ...funny that it's a pain to be smart eh... but my hubby says its cos I'm a fundamentally good and smart person. What a gem.

It's amazing that I can know all that and STILL have a problem isn't it?

Though I read that article "When the Gloves are Off" and I was just thinking...if I say to myself...I'm depressed or I'm anxious that just helps it to self-perpetuate. I'm a normal person who has a heightened anxiety response because a lot of bad stuff happened.

Of COURSE i would never go back to stupid ex.
Of COURSE my husband is ten times the man he ever was.

On the sitting room wall of our house there is a bronze plaque that has a quotation from Michaelangelo on it. It says "I am still learning." How true it is.

Sue

kairen
03-04-05, 17:36
hi tiny sue,

If only we could control what goes on in our minds, I think in all the years i've had P.a's, that is the one thing that i could never accept that i cant stop those crazy thoughts wizzy roung in my head no matter how hard i tried.

This site has been such a great help to me. just the realization that other people have these totally irrational thoughts as well is a comfort,

I have been of meds for 5 weeks now and fingers crossed feel great still have the odd blip, but knowing this site is here for advice has been a godsend, better than any counsellor i hve seen in the past

good luck and happy thoughts xxx

kairen x

seh1980
03-04-05, 19:25
hello Sue,

Welcome to the forum!! :)

I think we all have problems with what goes on in our minds so don't worry as you are not alone.

I'm sure you'll get loads of support here!!

Sarah :D

didunn1
03-04-05, 21:04
I know I have good times and think I have things sussed and then my mind goes looking and searching for my anxieties as if it's testing itself. I go and read my self-help books and go on this site and think YES I CAN DO THIS! and then Mr A creeps up on me again!

I'm just so glad I discovered this site and can share my thoughts with others who understand.

Di

sal
03-04-05, 23:38
Hi Sue

You have been through a lot but remember the person over the last few years who has stood by you and been your support.

I am not sure how you handle seeing the guy that you were with as that must be hard, and trust me i have been there and know exactly how you feel. I know have to see him at work and it took me a good year to get over how he behaved and how i react to him. I am fine now but that is down to time. He cant handle been friends as says it reminds him of what he lost when he went back to his wife, but it was his choice like yours was. You dervere better and have found it. Take that and cherish it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

nomorepanic
04-04-05, 18:52
Hi Sue

Welcome aboard.

I am so pleased to hear that you are going to fight this with all your might and with a positive attitude like that I am sure you will succeed.

I assume if you have read "When the gloves are off" that you have looked around the website.

The "coping" page may help or the "Natural Remedies" one.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

Tracy68
04-04-05, 20:25
Hi Sue
Welcome to the site. As you can see you will get plenty of help and support from everyone here.
Take care
Tracy
x

Jan
04-04-05, 22:09
Hi Sue

Wow what a tough deal you have been having. Just remember that your husband has told you that he will support you no matter what and that he loves you. Good for you for being so positive and being determined to fight this. Be strong and keep telling your self that everyday and you will beat it.
This site is full of support and people that can truly understand what you are going through so hang in there and know there is always someone to chat to if you need.

Janine

sal
04-04-05, 22:53
Hi Sue

You have had some great responses to your post, hope they have helped you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Tiny Sue
17-04-05, 19:45
Hey guys...

Guess who has flu? I've been feeling so down and depressed the last few days and of course Mr. A - as Diane called him, crept back up again...but I find that it's not only questions about my ex, but wondering about my husband and my feelings for him and stuff until it all gets out of control. Again, I told my husband how I felt. He is concerned about me - but again, held my hand and told me I was all he had ever hoped for and more. THAT made me cry...a lot...but I haven't been anxious at all today except for a couple of blips when I wasn't thinking about anything in particular. I thought...being all that anyone could hope for is a huge responsibility...and then I thought...but don't I expect it of my husband? I think I'm way too hard on myself sometimes, and by extension way too exacting with our relationship.

I am not mentally ill...I am someone who has had a hard time in the last five years and didn't cry about it until now. Now I need to. Why now, I'll never know. But I have decided to go get help, see if the CB therapist I saw before is still practising and go to him. We can't keep sweeping this under the carpet, it will ruin our marriage and I'll lose the man I love. PLUS the chance of having children and being happy together.

Keep trying, everyone, it's heartening to see so much STRIVING going on here.

Love Sue

Sue

sal
17-04-05, 21:27
Hi Sue

Well done you not giving in.

It isnt easy but by what you have said you are not going to let it get to you again.

Best of luck and let us know how you are getting on. As for crying the tears have to come out sometime and if it is now let them and dont hold back.

Love Sal xx

Sue K with 5
18-04-05, 01:41
I have been splt from my ex for 15 years but if I ever bump into him I still feel somewhat drawn to his personality, i think the bigest factor is because i see things in him now that never existed when we were together, and at one point i actually though i had feelings for him, but its not!! I believe when you have loved someone , you never stop caring and we can confuse those thoughts of caring for love, Hang on in there you are doing great !!!

scknight