PDA

View Full Version : relapse

Orion510
22-11-03, 07:02
I've never posted here before but I just needed someone to talk to. I've been suffering from anxiety for 13 years now. In the past few years I have made major improvments, but then after a few weeks/months, I have relapses. I'm begining to get discouraged. I don't understand why this keeps happening. It's almost as if every time I get my life together I go back.

My first relapse into the anxiety happened after months of no anxiety. I was doing things I had never done before and enjoying life. Then one day, something triggered an attack and I was back to having anxiety, except this time it was worse than before. This has happened 2 times and tonight I feel like it has happened again.

How can I go through life with constant relapses into anxiety. I feel like I get set free to live and then pulled back to watch the world from a distance.

What can I do about this? How can I do this over and over again?

sadie
22-11-03, 12:25
Hi Orion

I think whats important after reading your message is although you have had a relapse over the last few months, you have managed to control your anxiety quite considerably (thats a great achievement!). What you need to realise is that you can get over this small hurdle again just like you have before.

I think its really common for people who have experienced anxiety for quite a long time to suffer relapses but try and not let this get you down. I think you should maybe try and keep a diary as to what was you were doing or thinking before or at the time of your anxiety to see if there is something causing it. I know from my own experience my anxiety gets worse when I am not watching my diet and think negative thoughts as well as hyperventalating. There are lots of great advice on this site that can help you overcome this. There are lots of diet tips, alternative medicines etc which will help you. You can also visit your GP and ask to be referred to a counsellor who may help you deal with your anxiety. Stay positive and keep in touch.

sadie

jonny
22-11-03, 13:49
Hi Orion,

sadie has pretty much got it spot on when she says:

quote:Originally posted by sadie

What you need to realise is that you can get over this small hurdle again just like you have before.
I think its really common for people who have experienced anxiety for quite a long time to suffer relapses but try and not let this get you down.

i firmly believe that the Key to beating Anxiety is within ourselves and our ability to function normally whist in the midst of an attack. Now i know this is easier said than done as i have been there too many times to remember and i, like u, sometimes convince myself that i will never recover and my whole life will be spent in misery. But as sadie says " you will get over it" and that is what you need to keep in your mind AND BELIEVE IT!
If each time you suffere a relapse you can really trust in the fact that you will come out of it life will get easier. If instead you spend your days, as i used to, waiting for the next attack or fighting one hard you will only make it stronger.

It is so so hard but you need to stay positive and focus on trying to be normal whilst the anxiety does its worse. This condition thrives on our negativity and if you fight it you will never win. Relax into it and go with it....it wont kill you and by accepting what comes your way the beast of anxiety may become that little bit less fearsome.

Forcing a smile often makes me feel better...try it.

Jon

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

Michaela
23-11-03, 12:28
Hi Orion,

I have also suffered from anxiety for 13 years, and have amazingly only just found this site! I think the site is great for people to understand you are not the only one suffering and lots of people are logged onto the site to share experiences and add some comfort.

I have today made an appointment for some hypnotherapy as I too have had a relapse recently. Don't you find that it happens when you least it expect it, and it's almost your body's way of reminding you of the "what if's" in life? It's not going to get the better of me though.

I agree with the other comments made, and would just say that I felt exactly the way you describe, so we must be strong and know we can overcome it like we have before. It seems so daunting to start with, but I am sure we will both achieve it. So here we go .... best of luck!!

Michaela.