PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety symptoms while asleep????

doodah
02-05-08, 19:12
Me again!!:blush:

I had the weirdest of nights last night. Went to bed really tired after a not-too-bad day and fell asleep around 11.30 ish. I woke up around 1.30 am sneezing my head off - my hand, fingers and face were numb (this happens when I get stressed and has been looked into)! I'd had quite a vivid dream/nightmare and must have been struggling to wake up I think. I think I finally dropped off to sleep again around 6 am and my alarm woke me at 8 am so I was pretty cream crackered throughout the day. I was sneezing on and off which, of course, eventually made my nose bleed a little! Sigh!!!

Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get anxiety symptoms while they're asleep?? Gawd - it's bad enough when we're awake isn't it - hope it doesn't happen again. Ooops - that's negative thinking on my part isn't it - I mustn't hope it doesn't happen again!!

I guess, at least, I didn't panic like mad when I realised I'd gone "numb" again and eventually got the nose bleed. I think I'm getting used to these symptoms!:unsure:

Wendy xx

bluebell68
02-05-08, 22:58
Hi wendy....i woke up with a full on panic attack last week, which is first for me :unsure: ..not sure why but it hasn't happened since, so must just have been a random thing.... i do have a lot of nightmares lately tho, not sure if its the meds ... but when they wake me up, they leave me feeling pretty anxious... oh, and im sneezing like mad at the moment too, tree pollen, i think and its always worse at nights and mornings but its that time of year, i suppose..... anyway, thats my list over with LOL.. so in short i can identify with you night anx but Im sure this was just a random event for you too and won't happen again....im sending you positive thinking vibes :yesyes: ...
Take care
Rachel
:bighug1:

doodah
02-05-08, 23:07
Oooooooooh Rachel! Thanks for your reply - what a relief it's not just me!! Phewwwwwww!!:blush: I'll swear the anxiety is playing tricks on me at the moment. It's like I've got so used to the "old" symptoms, it's throwing new ones at me now lol.:scared15: I guess the thing for you and I is not to be frightened by whatever happens. Sorry to hear you've been sneezing as well but, again, it's a relief to know that it happens to others.

I shall be going to bed soon and will do my very best not to think about last night!

Thanks again Rachel - you're a star!:hugs:

Wendy xxxxxxxxxxxx

jill
03-05-08, 10:38
Hi Wendy,

Yes, anxiety can happen in sleep, remember where anxiety comes from, our negative thoughts and fears, if you were having a nightmare this may have triggered the anxiety.

Finding it hard to wake up when dreaming, ohh, I have done this sooo many times, will not go into that now, may contain triggers. Anxiety, Panic has nooo set time when it will happen, it can happen anytime, anyplace anywhere, it US with our fears and high stress that trigger the anxiety.

**at least, I didn't panic** this is a great way to think, be proud of yourself, anxiety symptoms, DO NOT always lead to panic.

**hope it doesn't happen again. Ooops - that's negative thinking** again hun, your way of thinking is the correct way. We cannot possible know when anxiety, will happen, thats imposible, thats like saying you know whats going to happen in the future and we all know that we can't do that, YOUR DOING GREAT. Your way of thinking will get you where you want to be and that is feeling better.

Please don't put to much importance on this bad night, Mrs anxiety loves us do do that, she feeds on things when we make her feel important. You are soooo right, Mrs A is playing tricks with you, she is playing the negative game, you play the postive one hun, show her,tell her its ok she did this too you, I know this may sound strange, but as you know, she does not like anything postive at ALL.

Hope this has helped a little, even if its just knowing your not alone.

You take care

LOVE JILLXX

veebee
03-05-08, 10:56
I get this to - posted about it today. have been really worried about. numb left hand this morning - horrible.

seems like anx symptoms while asleep are very common.

doodah
03-05-08, 15:02
Jill and veebee,

Thanks for your replies. Phew again! I had a good night's sleep last night so really pleased that I didn't dwell on the "night panics" - I've never heard of those ones before!!:blush: And you're right Jill - positive thinking is the answer - sometimes easier said than done, but I'm learning!!

Veebee - I've posted something, somewhere about "my" numbness. It's really scarey isn't it! I had it about 18 months ago - had a CT scan cos the doctor suggested I might have had (or due to have!!) a stroke. It came back totally clear (probably nothing in this old brain of mine:D !) I spent months worrying about the CT scan, needlessly because it was a piece of cake and strangely relaxing!! I was left (well, sort of) with the diagnosis of the numbness being stress/anxiety. I found it so hard to believe that but, 18 months down the road, I'm just trying to say to myself that's all it is. I've proved it time and time again to myself that it IS 'just" anxiety, but there's always times that the nagging doubt rears its ugly head and I start thinking I have all sorts of weird and wonderful illnesses!!

I'd heard that people (including myself) could get tingling sensations but had never heard of anyone getting numbness to the extent that I do. It's almost like someone's tied a strap around my arm, face, leg - wherever it's going to strike - and stops the circulation. It feels like I've had an anaesthetic at the dentist. Anyway, when it happens now I try to ignore that split second of negative thinking, take some deep breaths and usually talk to myself:blush: - it always goes away within around 30 seconds. Also, it can happen when I haven't eaten enough so maybe my blood sugars are low?

Anyway veebee - try ever so hard to turn your thinking around cos I'm sure it'll help!

Wendy xxxx

PS: Remind me to do the same just in case I slip back into negative thinking and post yet another "ooooerrr - what's happening" message!

veebee
03-05-08, 15:31
Thanks Wendy!

It is terrifying when it happens...I'm having a bit of mixed day today. Sometimes I feel positive and then 20 mins later I get worried again. but I am trying to talk myself round! Its encouraging that so many people get the same thing and its anx, not the dreaded lurgy. I'll have a look for your post about numbness.

Thanks again! And stay positive, it seems to really work for you!

Vic
x

milly jones
03-05-08, 19:53
hi,

i do wake with very disturbing dreams in a panic and find it very difficult to relax afterwards. dreams are of dreadful tragedy or escaping from scarey situations. i can hear my heartbeat in my neck and am very tense. i often am crying uncontrollably and sometimes dont even know why, just am terrified. the more i try and relax and distract my self the more i get wound up.

silly thoughts start to worry me, fear of forgetting things, eg i couldnt remember the female rabbits name in who framed roger rabbit. now why anyone would care at 3 am i dont know, but the more i tried to remember the more frustrated i got. eventually it came to me , jessica and at about 7am i went off to sleep.

my psychiatrist says that this is the brains way of disracting from other worries that are shut away.

at the moment im currently working on finding these deeper worries and how to overcome them.

i do take citralopram for anx disorder, but also zopiclone to help me get more than a couple of hours sleep each night.

u are definately not alone having pas in night. it was a while before i knew that that was what they are. i thought i was going mad.

take care hun, and hopefully it will not happen again,

but if it does u know what it is,

lots of love milly xxxx

doodah
05-05-08, 16:34
Awww milly - thanks for your lovely reply. So sorry you have the night panics too :(

I know exactly what you mean about trying to remember silly little things then getting in a state - I really do get times when I forget what it is I'm trying to remember! Aaaaaaargh!!

Take care and keep on keeping on!:hugs:

Wendy xxxx