PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty swallowing in social environments

Outoforbit7
03-05-08, 08:17
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been able to sympathize with many of you while reading your threads. I started having panic/anxiety attacks 2 1/2 months ago. I've experienced various and strong symptoms, but after learning about these attacks (on the net) and working consciously with techniques, I've been able to ALMOST overcome ALL panic episodes but ONE:

I have a very hard time swallowing when eating outside my house. It's very difficult as most of you know. I become extremly conscious of the food in my mouth, any lump or uncomfortable piece of food gives me the impression that I will choke, therefore I act out a bizarre spasm just when I'm about to swallow (I have to hold tightly onto something immediately). My dear girlfriend regularly has to deal with a painful squeeze on her legs or arms. :whistles:

This never happens at home. It only happens when I go out and eat.

I would like to know if there is any tecnique I can practice when I'm eating with people. The distraction technique seems appropriate when you are at home... but it is difficult in my case, because I'm usually with friends, family or strangers when I eat out and find it hard to concentrate on the usual anxiety-calming tecniques.

I feel desperate about my situation, looking for a solution; that's why I stumbled upon this website.

Any suggestions anyone? I will be most grateful...

Pablo

smudgie
03-05-08, 08:27
Hi Pablo

A big warm:welcome: to the site , so glad you found us.
Take some time reading the info its a wealth of help and along the way you will meet and make new friends that will be supportive.

Im so sorry your having this difficult problem, it sounds like anxiety. I can in a way relate to what your saying but its slightly different. I have panic attacks which cause me to gag but i have a fear of food so I just swallow. I dont eat outside my home because its such a big problem for me.
When I have the panic attack I cant swallow so hense no air getting in, i freak out and get myself in such a mess.
Im not sure if ive helped but i know you will have others to answer your questions.

take care of you
smudgie

Outoforbit7
03-05-08, 08:35
Thanks smudgie for taking the time to read my post.

I'm very glad to be part of this place now...

Take good care as well,

Pablo

milly jones
03-05-08, 09:26
hi pablo,

i find swallowing very difficult when stressed. at work i can only just sip water. at home i have no probs.

i find eating out difficult, so much so that if anx will only order a starter and fiddle, and i sit facing the wall so i cant see others looking at me! it also means i wouldnt see someone i know come in and thus would not have to speak to them!! daft isnt it?

welcome to the site, everyone here is great and someone will allways be experiencing your symptoms and may be able to help,

love milly x

seeker
04-05-08, 21:20
I get this, too! I either go for safe, soft options like soup, or I have a glass of wine to relax me. I also carry stashes of food with me, so when I (inevitably) don't eat much in front of others, I have something to much on later, when they're not looking!

emmax
20-05-08, 01:25
Hiya,
just thought i'd let you know i've had this exact same problem! I also do the thing where you have to grab onto something as you think you will choke!!! I had it first about 5 years ago i guess when i was suffering badly and lost a lot of weight as I just couldn't face trying to eat. It went away but has come back slightly-I always make sure I have a drink with me. I get it even when i'm not eating (sounds crazy i know) but if im on public transport for instance i will keep trying to swallow and sometimes i feel as if im not going to be able to and have to grab onto something quickly!! If i have water to sip it usually helps a lot so I never leave the house without it!

Just thought it may help you to know you are not alone!

Em x

Outoforbit7
20-05-08, 05:13
Thanks Emmax,

I've had the same situation as well even when I don't eat. I have noticed it is manifested specifically in situations when I don't have an easy escape. It is a sort of circumstancial claustrophobia, for although it may not be a rather enclosed area, if I feel I cannot leave whenever I please I start getting the swallowing problems.

I must say things have been going rather smoothly lately. I haven't had it very bad for the last week or two. Last time it happened in a restaurant, but I was very tired of being the victim of this irrational fear so I "commanded" my brain to stop being afraid. For every bite I was consciously (but silently)repeating to myself "You will not choke with this bite, swallow calmly, NOTHING will happen". At the beginning I was afraid but somehow I was able to eat bite after bite without major difficulties.

I believe human beings are very adaptive and all of us can eventually overcome these fears and anxieties. It just takes time for us to get used to them. A few weeks ago I thought I could never overcome these difficulties. But after a while of being literally harassed by these so-called "attacks", I got so fed up with them that I started losing my nervousness towards them. Now I don't think too much about it and I am starting to lead a normal life again.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." Alan Watts

daleo717
20-05-08, 06:10
Glad you found this site also, I just did tonight myself.........I have always had a hard time swallowing way before panick problems--I need to drink after I swallow a lot-----Maybe having lots of water and beverages on the table will help,,,,take very small bites and drink lots of water or hot drinks---are you ok drinking liquids????....

emmax
20-05-08, 06:42
Pablo,
that sounds really positive- glad to hear you are doing so well! I know exactly what you mean about the circumstantial claustraphobia too- i often find it gets worse between stops on buses, trains etc or when im in a car with friends and would feel silly if they noticed!
Anyway you seem to have the right attitude towards it all so good luck!

Zingara
20-05-08, 09:12
Glad things are improving for you. I have this swallowing thing too, I tend to avoid eating out because of it. I also have a lot of trouble sitting down properly at a table and eating in front of other people, I find it much easier to relax and eat if I can sit on my own in front of the telly! I think this stems from childhood experiences of eating out in restaurants and feeling horribly overfaced by the huge plate in front of me, and my parents peering at my plate to see how much I'd eaten, always anxious that I shouldn't embarrass them. Since then I hate any sort of formal eating, and become sweaty, sick and anxious. Even a family Christmas dinner is an ordeal for me. I can feel quite hungry until I sit down, and then I start to go shaky and feel sick, and have to make an excuse to leave the table! So I do sympathise. I find the severity of this problem varies; I've had periods of time when it's almost disappeared, but it seems to resurface at times of stress.
Is that flag Costa Rican? You speak perfect English!

Outoforbit7
20-05-08, 16:52
Thanks all for your support.

Yes, Samira, I am from Costa Rica. As you can see this problem is found all around the world! :doh:

All the suggestions and recommendations are great. I appreciate it people!

:D

Outoforbit7
20-05-08, 16:57
Glad you found this site also, I just did tonight myself.........I have always had a hard time swallowing way before panick problems--I need to drink after I swallow a lot-----Maybe having lots of water and beverages on the table will help,,,,take very small bites and drink lots of water or hot drinks---are you ok drinking liquids????....

Yes Dale, I'm okay with liquids. I usually have to water down my food when I have problems eating outside home. But I'm trying hard to get rid of it altogether. At home I can eat without any problems so I know it is possible to get back to normal eating. But in the meantime liquids are a great help.

Thanks for your help. Hope you enjoy this site and get better soon. Just remember it is not going to be a permanent problem.