PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop swallowing

AnxietyAl
03-05-08, 08:25
Hi guys,
I've had anxiety on and off for years. Most recent have been swallowing problems although i've had them under control pretty well for a while. Then, a few days ago, I found myself concentrating on swallowing and now I can't stop swallowing and it's driving me berserk! I can't sleep and I'm finding that I'm even thinking about it when I try to do relaxation cds. As soon as I notice it, it kicks off palpitations and I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself.

It's a bit of a stressful time at the moment - my wife and I are starting IVF treatment next week and it's hard going. Also, i'm doing a PhD and a certain amount of stress goes with that.

Can anyone offer any advice or reassurance that this might go?

drinaldi
06-05-08, 17:43
AnxietyAl,

I have had this constant swallowing since January. It is so frustrating. My doctors kept telling me that they have never heard of anyone witht hat symptom - that usually people with anxiety feel like thye can't swallow. I had a throat scan done and there is othingphysically wrong with me and I don't think I do it in my sleep so it must be anxiety. I agree with you -It drives me CRAZY!!!!

pips
06-05-08, 21:29
Hi there. Sorry you suffer to! Your not alone.

I tend to swallow alot to my Hubby pointed it out the other day and it made me worse as I realise just how much I do it. I wish i knew the cure peeps but sadly I don't. I find chewing gum or sucking mints helps me as it takes my mind of it. I'm so much worse if I focus on it.

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X X X

cattttt
07-05-08, 08:38
Try some exercise, it might help to break the cycle, it's difficult to swallow too much if you're out of breath!