PDA

View Full Version : I think i've done something stupid

crazychick
03-05-08, 22:58
hi,

I'm not sure what to do so i'm hoping someone ghere has een in the same position as me before and can help me as i really don't know what to do.

I'v been on 150mg of sertraline for a while now and feeling fine on it apart form headaches so i decided on monday to come of it - i know it was stupid and i have made a big mistake doing it, its a bank holiday and i don't know where to get help. i am having awful panic attacks and feel so anxious and teary and i don't know what to do - apart from re start the tablets but even if i do its not like it will work straight away.

yorkylover
03-05-08, 23:02
I would start taking them again,and then withdraw very slowly.I wouldnt have thought that they would be out of your system completely yet.You could cut the tablet in half for a few days.If your not sure you could call nhs direct.

crazychick
03-05-08, 23:06
I don't think i should have stopped them at all - mydoc has told me i should be okay or three months before coming off them its just me that thinks i should come off them
i just need to try and calm down buut how do i do it

yorkylover
03-05-08, 23:12
You should never just stop meds,the side affects can be awful.
I came off citalopram and felt really really bad.In the end I had to go back on them.
You may feel better in yourself,but your gp would advise you on the best way of slowly coming off them.
Just try and relax,have a warm bath and a milky drink.You will be ok.:hugs:

crazychick
03-05-08, 23:18
my gp does want me to stay on them i just wish i had listened to her. the surgery is closed till tuesday so doubt i can get an appointment till after then.
I feel so anxious and have lots of bizzare thoughts going through my head - i'm three months into a ew job as well and i'm on a 6 month probationary period and i have had horrific attacks in there the past 2 days and i'm scared i'll get sacked for it. i just don't know what to do or what help i need

yorkylover
03-05-08, 23:25
As you are off for a couple of days,I would start taking the meds again.You are probably feeling more anxious where you have just stopped them and thats why you are haveing PA's.NHS direct could advise you.:hugs:

crazychick
03-05-08, 23:35
i'm worried about the effects of starting taking them again but i know i need to as its the only way i will feel better.
i'm so worried i've lost the chance of getting to keep my job now.
are nhs direct normally ok? i'm scared how they will react as well? i don't want to be caled stupid although i know i am

Tom_M
03-05-08, 23:56
Hi crazychick

It depends when you stopped taking them. Sertraline as a half-life of 26 hours which means it takes about 3 days to get to concentration where it as no effect. If you go back on them straight away, you still might have to endure the initial side effects. I'd find out where there is an emergency doctors surgery over the weekend, to get a fresh supply, and maybe ask the doctor for a weeks supply of tranquilisers to help untill the Sertraline kicks in again.

crazychick
04-05-08, 00:20
i have enough sertraline to make me going - i'm scared of going to an emergency doctor or to phone nhs direct as i don't want to be told i'm an idiot and shouted at but i don't want to feel like this anymore as i feel totally out of control - i feel so stressed, paniced and anxious - worse than i ever have and i have felt really bad before

crazychick
04-05-08, 00:34
if anyone can please give me some advice i'd gretly appreciate it - i just can't handle this

gary_2.0
04-05-08, 02:40
I don't know if you are still around at this time of night but don't please worry about being shouted at - YOU WON'T BE. Don't worry about looking stupid - YOU'RE NOT.

If you haven't already done so then take the above advice and telephone NHS direct 0845 46 47 now. They are professionals and they deal with this kind of thing all the time. You can't tell them anything they've not heard before. Even if you get upset while you're on the phone to them it's OK because they are trained to deal with it.

They will help you.

They will tell you the right things to do to feel better.

Don't suffer alone. They will handle this with you.

Hopefully you've already taken the good advice from Tom and Ellen above but as it's late and you are the last to post I had to post a reply myself.

Come back and post an update anytime.

YOU WILL BE OK. REALLY YOU WILL BE.

chalky
04-05-08, 09:14
Hi Crazychick,

The only way to come off Meds safely is to have a managed reduction plan devised by your GP.I came off Meds over a three month period this way and it made things much easier for me.
You do have lots going on in your life with your new job and the meds might be the support that you need to help you trough your initial period there.
Your posting in this thread is indicative of the stress you are feeling- the unease you are feeling is coming through very strongly.Get back on your Meds and take things one day at a time.Makesure you are eating properly, resting properly and doing things which you enjoy each day.
Look on this period as just a little blip.
Keep believing in yourself and you will come through this.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
Chalky

popsy
04-05-08, 09:30
I would start taking them again, the side effects of going on to something in my experience are never has bad as coming off them. In the past i forgot to take my tablets for a couple of days and started feeling awful but once i started taking them again by the next day i was feeling okay again. See the doctor on tuesday though and explain about the headaches which is why you stopped them, no one is going to call you stupid at all!!!!! I hope you start to feel batter again asap, but i really would start your dose again NOW!

smudgie
04-05-08, 09:33
Hi there
:hugs: .

What the have been advised here i cannot add to but I just want to give you a hug:hugs: and say im thinking about you.

take care of you
smudgie

popsy
04-05-08, 09:35
Oh yeah and defo call NHS Direct too, they are really good and will give you the advise you need, they deal with this sort of thing everyday.... if you do need a day off from your new job to get yourself sorted they wont hold a short period against you...its more important to get yourself sorted so you can carry on being great at your job as you have been!!!! CALL N.H.S DIRECT NOW!!!!!!!

crazychick
04-05-08, 12:21
if i phone nhs direct what are they likely to do and what are they likely to say. i am really scared of causing a drama or needing to go to hospital - can they give me self care tips etc. i am worried about phoning them.

I'm not back at my new job till tuesday and not going in won't be a option at all - i need to go in as if i'm off that looks bad for my probationary period as does being il at work ast week. i don't know i f i should spend the bank holiday job hunting.

The one thing i am thinking about though as my own line manager has been off - and he is the only one who knows that i am seeking help for my panic attacks and about the medication etc and i've not said anything to the other managers who have dealt with me so maybe they don't know its in hand.

i don't know what i'm doing and i'm scared which is maknig me worse but then i'm also scared to contact nhs direct as i don't want them to be either nasty or react funny

chalky
04-05-08, 12:27
Hi Crazychick,

NHS Direct are there to help.
The only way for you to resolve this issue is by taking ACTION.
The longer you don't take action,the worse you will feel.
"What ifs" will not help you.
Just make the call.
Best wishes,
Chalky

crazychick
04-05-08, 13:00
I know i'm just scared how they will help me and what they will do.
i'm scared of needing to go to hospital

Franz
04-05-08, 13:16
i have enough sertraline to make me going - i'm scared of going to an emergency doctor or to phone nhs direct as i don't want to be told i'm an idiot and shouted at but i don't want to feel like this anymore as i feel totally out of control - i feel so stressed, paniced and anxious - worse than i ever have and i have felt really bad before
Call an emergency doctor!!!!

crazychick
04-05-08, 13:29
I know i need to i'm just scared of needing to leave the safety of my own house

Tom_M
04-05-08, 14:01
When I was on antidepressants and used to come off them without consulting the doctor, they never used to hassle me. I guess if you have an emotional problem you do things like this, so they do understand.

gary_2.0
04-05-08, 14:19
When I was on antidepressants and used to come off them without consulting the doctor, they never used to hassle me. I guess if you have an emotional problem you do things like this, so they do understand.

Exactly.

They will give you help to fix the problem. They won't be angry. Even if they wanted to they're not allowed to :)

Also they can't haul you into Hospital. They can't make you do anything you don't want to but they do have the best advice.

0845 46 47 - they are paid to help you cope.

PUGLETMUM
04-05-08, 14:27
:hugs: how are you gail? right i know you are frigtened but try to stay calm, have you rang nhs direct yet? i had taken prozac for 2 years and i came off them in a day with no probs - i dont know if setraline has the same half life asd prozac as i know prozac is one of the easy ones to come off. please dont panic about wha tyo have done it is okay, they will not take you into hospital i dont think, but they will help you and i think you will be perfectly okay, ithink you are just anxious about stopping so abruptly becaus eof whqa tyouve prob read on here about awful experiences?? a bit like feeling bad when you read all the info on a tablet - how much is phycosematic? you will be fine gail - take care, emma:flowers:

Franz
04-05-08, 14:46
I know i need to i'm just scared of needing to leave the safety of my own house

If you feel you can't leave your house, ask them to send someone round.

I've been in a situation that sounds very similar to yours so I know what it's like, i.e. ****ing terrifying. You NEED help so please call for it - sitting around won't help!

Best wishes,

Francis

PUGLETMUM
04-05-08, 15:55
:blush: hi, just realised your not 'gail' - sorry. i was getting you mixed up with someone else:blush: hope you are feeling okay anyway?

mannix10
04-05-08, 16:04
Hi Crazychick,

the first thing to do is go to the homepage of this excellent site and read First Steps. Read slowly and take it all in. Stoping any medication abruptly is not a good idea but what's done is done. No health professional will call you stupid or shout at you - they've seen it all before (and a lot worse) a thousand times. Start taking the sertraline again but build up slowly by taking 1 tablet now - the drug will still be in your body so any side-effects will be much less (if at all) than when you first began the drug. It will get better as i had exactly the same feelings when taking sertraline. Speak to your gp on tuesday about your dose of sertraline - good luck and hang in there !

mila
04-05-08, 16:17
Hi, how are you feeling today? If you call NHS direct you won't get shouted at or called stupid or anything like that, believe me. I've called them before couple of times and nurses are so nice, you can really talk to them.

crazychick
04-05-08, 22:24
i have phoned - someone is going tp phone me back as soon as they can - don't know how long that will be though

crazychick
04-05-08, 23:07
i'va had to phone back and cancel the call back - with it being a bank holiday they are really busy and can't gaurantee someone can talk to me even in ext hour or so and i've already waited two.

chillx
04-05-08, 23:26
Hi

I don't understand what you mean when you say you phoned and cancelled the call back. Why did you do that? Why did you not just wait for them to ring you back?

It is 24 hours since your first post on this thread, in that time have you started taking your meds. again?

PUGLETMUM
05-05-08, 08:56
:) hiya, does this mean that you are calmer now, as the nhs direct werent overly concerned that this is a major problem? have you started your meds again? or are you going to stick it out and continue not to use them? like i said i came off prozac in a day and i had no problems - do you think you may be panicking because you are worried that you are going to feel bad because of what you know? tc emma:winks:

crazychick
05-05-08, 15:20
after a bad night i phoned nhs 24 back and a doctor called me back and got me an appointment with the out of hours service who has givin me diazapam to keep me goin till i get to see my own gp. I really hope i can get a last minute appointment tomorrow as i don.t want to wait any longer. I don.t kno what to do bout workin tomorrow as i don.t want to lose a job i love and i.m good at because of a minor blip as i.ve come so far. I don.t think this is cause i was expecting to feel bad i thought if i stopped i.d just feel normal as i was feeling okay. X x

crazychick
05-05-08, 18:21
I'm now sitting worried about wha to do tomorrow - can my work actually not keep me on after my probation for a sickness record - so far in three months i have had 2 hours of sick time.
They know i am going through a bad panic attack patch just now and i really need to get myself on track and sorted. i've obvioulsy been to the emergency drs (r they open 24 hours or just weekends/bank holidays)
my doc ony does a half day on a tuesday and i'm really worried i'll phone tomorrow at 9 and not be able to get an appointment till the end of the week so do i go and work or do i take a day or two off to get an appointment and try and get sorted. i just don't know what to do and i'm really scared i'm going to loose my job.

crazychick
05-05-08, 22:48
I feel really mixed up just now - do you think with panic attacks you can ask for an emergency docs appointment with a gp or will they say its not serious and tell me to wait till they can see me which will prob be a week. i'm scared. i'm scared of taking a panic attack, i'm scare dof losing my job, i'm scared of phoning in sick to work and i'm scared that i'm alone